NMD

jds22

• Members

New Marshall Day

In my 25 years of playing I've had some really nice tube amps but for some reason never owned a Marshall.

I just got the new DSL 40C and so far am pretty happy with it. I know some reviews are mixed saying it doesn't sound like the original DSL but since I never played an original I can't speak to that.

Cleans and crunch are really good and respond well to the guitar volume.
Leads 1 & 2 can get a bit buzzy if the gain is pushed to high but I can probably work on that with tube and or speaker upgrades.

The reverb is nice. Not overbearing or tinny sounding.

It also sound good at low volumes which is something that I need.

Overall I'm pleased and think this is a keeper.

• Members

The fizziness is getting to me. I can't seem to get a high gain sound out of this without it sounding like a can of flatulent bees.

This might get me banned but I prefer my Peavey Vypyr for high gain sounds. The DSL kicks the Vyps ass in the crunch dept but that's about it.

I think I need to step away from the amps, get some sleep, and try again tomorrow.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
The fizziness is getting to me. I can't seem to get a high gain sound out of this without it sounding like a can of flatulent bees.

This might get me banned but I prefer my Peavey Vypyr for high gain sounds. The DSL kicks the Vyps ass in the crunch dept but that's about it.

I think I need to step away from the amps, get some sleep, and try again tomorrow.
Sounds like you have a Marshall in your hands. Keep the gain at what you would get from a JCM800. Boost it for extra gain and turn it UP. Marshalls are not like Mesas or Peaveys, where you have tons of gain at low volumes. Sure you can do that, but they shine with mid-gain and lots of volume. I rarely turned the gain past 4 on my old DSL. The volume, however, was always above 5 or 6. That's how Marshalls work.

• Members

Find these amps extremely buzzy unless its the 100 watt version whoch is a fair but closer to the orig DSLs
DSL50/100 = last good amps marshall has built?

But hey congrats on the new amp there may be some kinda noise reduction route you could take with the amp; im no exper on that stuff tho

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Take it back and get a real Marshall.

The original English made DSL50 heads are going for like $500 right now. They do sound good.
This. The old DSLs are great amps. The new ones sound like {censored} to me. I couldn't get a single sound I enjoyed out of the one I sat with. Reminded me a lot of the MA

• 4 months later...
  • Members

jds22 wrote:

I have a DSL 40C as well and am definitely not finding it buzzy. In fact I think it is an awesome sounding amp. I have just come out of a Jet City 2112RC and an Ibanez Tubescreamer that are both great amps in their own right. What settings are you using. What guitar and which pickup. I find the amp, like any is very dependant on how you set it up and the guitar you play it with.

I use a Schecter Synyster Gates Custom with Seymour Duncan Invaders and the sound is nice and thick with great complex harmonics. I keep the treble at the 11 oclock position. At very low volumes (in the 65 to 70dB range) channel 2 of the Ultra Lead section does sound a bit compressed. It needs a bit of volume to sound good there but at anything under 12 oclock on channel 1 of Ultra Lead and I can get a decent tone.

When I use it with a Fender Strat it does set my teeth on edge if I use it with the bridge pickup but even that is able to be fixed, my strat has a delta tone circuit that has a tone control on the bridge pickup, I just roll it off to about half and roll the treble on the amp to around 10 oclock and the tone is right again.

• Members

Norton666 wrote:

Originally Posted by
Ricky Bobby
Take it back and get a real Marshall.

The original English made DSL50 heads are going for like $500 right now. They do sound good.
This. The old DSLs are great amps. The new ones sound like {censored} to me. I couldn't get a single sound I enjoyed out of the one I sat with. Reminded me a lot of the MA

That statement does not help me in any way nor will it help anyone else. Simply describing the sounds of an amp as {censored} tells us more about you than it does about the equipment you describe. And I dont mean it in a rude manner but am suggesting that it shows you have a propensity to rush to judgement and make statements that you do not back up with facts.

Just so you know I have not come across any modern day amp (even small solid states) that I could not get at least one good tone out of so for you to say that you could not get a good tone out of these awesome amps suggest you were in the wrong environment or were using poor equipment or did not have the time or patience or were in the wrong frame of mind or do not know much about getting a decent sound out of an amp. I have at times gone to a music gear store and have either been rushed or stressed and have not enjoyed anything but I usually leave and dont blame the equipment I am listening to.

So to cut a long post short, please elaborate a bit on why you did not enjoy the tones and what you were doing at the time.

Archived