I'm looking to buy or assemble a little power amp / speaker combo...

MrKnobs

• Moderators

... to run my Roland VG-88 through.  So I don't need tubes, don't need a preamp section, don't need anything but two 12's or two 10's and a stereo power amp, maybe 60 watts per channel.  As lightweight as possible of course.

One option is I could just put a stereo power amp in a SKB case for the head and use a 2-12 or 2-10 cab under it.  Maybe a Rocktron Velocity 100 amp would be enough, though it's only 40w per channel into 8 ohm speakers.  Also, I can't seem to find how heavy it is.

The other option of using a little speaker / amp combination like the Tech21 power Engine 60 would be fine, except so far as I can tell no one makes one with a stereo power amp and two 12" or 10" speakers.

Anything out there I'm not aware of?  Any of you guys tried either Rocktron unit?  What did you think of it?

Thanks!

Terry D.

• Members

MrKnobs wrote:

This was posted 48 min ago and is still on top?  What has the Amp forum come to? 
:cry:

Terry D.

A more appropriate question would be where has the Amp forum gone to. :D 

Anyway, it might be worth checking in on the Rocktron Velocity 300, as well. And if you're wanting a bit of tube-ish coloration, you can always check into the old Mosvalve amps.

Another idea if you might change your mind on it needing to have stereo inputs: I used to run a Sansamp PSA-1 preamp though a Roland JC120 212 amp and had good results -- even better when I closed the back of the combo. It was a very clean-sounding amp without much coloration.

Archived