Gibson GA-20T Ranger-The Holygrail of Tone?

Markus_hdrive

• Members

I'm so glad I joined this forum. It's so nice to talk with people who actually know what the heck they're talking about. So, for you experienced tone chasers, I've got a treat for you. Would anyone be interested in a Gibson GA-20T Ranger in great condition with all original parts, original footswtich, original tweed finish? I've narrowed it down to a 1960 or 1961.

• Members

this amp occupies the same tonal spectrum as a 5e3 and would certainly not be a primary amp for most on this forum. if it was dirt cheap maybe somebody would pick it up - but that is doubtful too since not a lot of (any?) vintage collector types here.

now if had white tolex .....

• Members

Aaaaaaaaaand they're off! :o

Noobness and spam aside, the vintage Gibsons are one hell of an amp and bargain. I believe him when his says "holy grail of tone" because I was in the same boat once - until I played an old Gibson amp. It was a simple Ga-5t skylark, 5w of pure sex. Cranked up, it wiped the floor standing against an Orange Rocker 30, Marshal DSL, and a Vox AC50 (I owned all of these amps at one time). I now have a Ga-8t Discoverer and a Ga-200 that just simply sound awesome.

I would say that the assessed value is a bit on the high side (perhaps $200-300 at most), but the tweed Gibsons are the most valuable variant amongst the Gibson amps. It was a time were design and sound were at an overall best. The Ranger in particular is very rare and hard to come by especially in such shape.

The closest thing I can think of in comparison is an old Princeton Reverb. I would safely bet though that the Ranger sounds better in comparison - and overdrives more like a Marshall than a Fender.

Edit: Its so hard to find clips of those who really want to crank the amp and get the gushy glorious raunchy overdrive, but the cleans on this are simply angelic:

[video=youtube;8DhJxq9KzhQ]

• Members

TruSlice! The only one aside from myself with a computer and a brain. That's pretty gay to just post stuff and say things out of the wrong end peeps. Hate all you want, but it just makes you sound like a moron. This amp didn't impress me just cause it said Gibson on it. This does have the original tweed finish, in very good condition. All original, cause it sat in the back of a church for almost 40 years and wasn't played. Now to explain the price to the primates, there's this thing called Google. Typing the amps information in it will bring up pretty pictures, web pages full of words 'n stuff, and even sometimes prices. These average $900- $2500 depending on there condition. I know at least 1 person will understand this, while at the same time cure the boredom of the rest of the retards by giving them a new post to poke fun at. Have at it kids.

• Members

TruSlice! The only one aside from myself with a computer and a brain. That's pretty
gay
to just post stuff and say things out of the wrong end peeps. Hate all you want, but it just makes you sound like a moron. This amp didn't impress me just cause it said Gibson on it. This does have the original tweed finish, in very good condition. All original, cause it sat in the back of a church for almost 40 years and wasn't played. Now to explain the price to the primates, there's this thing called Google. Typing the amps information in it will bring up pretty pictures, web pages full of words 'n stuff, and even sometimes prices. These average $900- $2500 depending on there condition. I know at least 1 person will understand this, while at the same time cure the boredom of the rest of the retards by giving them a new post to poke fun at. Have at it kids.

Quoted for ban.

buh-bye {censored}stick.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Wow.  I was just looking for info on these amps and came across this thread.  I really hope this guy didn't get banned.  It was the "super contributors" who were in the wrong here... and in so many ways.

And, for the ill-educated... this amp is easily worth $800-1200.  Anyone saying it is worth anything less is a fool.

These folks should be ashamed of themselves. 

Archived