Wondering if this OHM combination would be safe.

trashbeast

• Members

Hey guys, I have a Valveking 212 100W Combo, as well as a 16Ohm, 4x16 cab with celestion g75's.

The combo runs at 8ohms if you're just using the built-in speakers.  Is it possible to run both my built-in speakers, and the cab at the same time? I think it would sound great, but I don't wanna blow anything up.  so if I were to run a 8ohm and a 16ohm cab at the same time, which ohm setting would I set the amp to? If it's even safely possible.

Thanks in advance!!

• Members

If the speaker outs say that they're in parallel, 8 ohms & 16 ohms results in a load of approx 5.4 ohms.  If you were going to run that setup and if it is in parallel, you'd want to go with 4 ohms as that should be a safe mismatch as the ohm load is @ 5.4 and amp is set to 4 ohms.

I dunno how the speaker outputs are set on the amp, you'll need to confirm that.

Derek

• Members

Wyatt wrote:

8 ohms will be the safest setting.

But i think you'll be disappointed with the result because of an uneven power load. The 8-ohm internal load will seemed twice as loud as the 16-ohm speaker cabinet.

That's wrong :mansurprised:, if he's running the amp @ 8 ohms he has 50% of blowing the amp. 

If he runs it @ 4 ohms he's safe regardless of series or parallel.

Derek

Archived