yamaha guitar amplifier gIII series g 100-212 III

carnage87

• Members

hi im new to these forums. but i need a lil help if at all possible.

i have a yamaha g3 series from like the 1980s. works beautifully but i would like to find the owners manual so i can use it to its full potential. the problem is that the yamaha web site only has a manual for the dg series. which is an entirely different model. i have found a site that seems to have the manual, but it charges 15 bucks for it and id rather get it for free cause im broke lol.

so my question is to anyone out there do you know of any place at all that i can get this manual (for free)? or if any one has the exact same model and miraculously has the manual and can email me a copy of it? it would be very much apreciated.

or if none of that is an option maybe if someone has this model and knows of a good setting to get a kick as heavy metal distortion with out any effects pedals or processors (again im totally broke or id just buy some effects) that would help out alot too.

• Members

yeah thank you. but i have already read through all of that, but it didnt quiet give me the info i need other then how to get my headphone jack to work and that i can get a manual by calling yamaha. but i believe they will charge me for it, which i would rather avoid haveing to spend any dough.

• Members

Originally posted by carnage87

no thats not my amp ill put some pic up in a min so bare with me. i have looked at yamaha.com and they do nit have my model anywere on the site products, manuals etc.

Ive been looking for a manual for you also and havent found a free one yet but its still early.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

Ive been looking for a manual for you also and havent found a free one yet but its still early.
:thu:

awsome i need all the help i can get thanks. still working on the images my computers being lame.

• Members

ill have a pic of the entire amp up in a lil bit photobuckets slow as hell on dial up

this is the clean channel

8cc79f92.jpg

this is the distortion channel

amp3.jpg

this is the parametric eq

032992ed.jpg

this explains itself lol

930f70c5.jpg

• Members

im sure the manual wont give me all the answers to the questions i have. but it would be nice to have just in case any problems do arise with my amp.

and yes i have searched google over and over again and am even still at this moment typing in all kinds of things just to get even the slightest bit of info i can. but still i am haveing no luck other then finding this site.

• Members

yeah actually there is something i would like to know id like to know how to fine tune the eq to get some good sounds out of the distortion. ive fiddled with it but im never happy with the results for long. itll sound good when i first set it then ill come back to it and it will sound like crap to me.

also id like to know if my mid boost is working properly. im supposed to pull out the gain knob and i guess hear a noticable difference in tone but i cant seem to tell the difference if there is one at all.

• Members

On mine (my preamp from that era) the key is the parametric EQ, I think mine is set at about 9 O'clock on Freq, 3 O'clock Level, and Noon on Q. And have Volume pot pulled.

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

On mine (my preamp from that era) the key is the parametric EQ, I think mine is set at about 9 O'clock on Freq, 3 O'clock Level, and Noon on Q. And have Volume pot pulled.

well i tried those settings and i think i found something i might like

i now have it set to level(4) Q(12) frequency(7) withe bass, trebble mid and gain all maxed sounds decent through my headphones will have to try it cranked up tomorrow durring the day

sounds pretty crunchy id like a lil more bass but i can tweak it as i go along

what is your trebble, middle, bass and gain set to?

• Members

I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how to set your EQ, There are too many factors.

There are a few variations of EQ. On my Fender and VHT twins....if I "zero" the EQ, I don't get much sound. On my Marshall VS100 combo...it sounds great with almost all eq at zero.

First thing I would do is bring down all your eq, including the presence... and set the parametric to "0". That's kind of like an "off" switch.

Keep in mind that your volume has a lot to do with how you eq. Low volumes will need more low and high. Once you start cranking the amp, you'll find you should reduce your EQ settings...GENERALLY.

The type of guitar you use will determine how you use your EQ. I use highs more on LP's than Strats. I use EQ more on the distortion channels to achieve a little more control.

If I were you...I would set up the distortion channel like this:

High. 10 o'clock

Mid. 12 or 2

Low. 10 o'clock

Presence...9 o'clock max.

Don't use the parametic yet. EQ's generally work better as cut, rather than boost. IF you cut a little bit around 500-800, you might be able to tighten up the bottom bit. With the low quality of your pics, I can't see what the freq goes up to...but you could add a little bit around 1.2k to give justa bit more bite. I say don't use the parametric if you don't have to. OR use it sparingly.

Back that gain down to about 2 or 3 o'clock.

Your clean could use some tweaking too....bring all those eq's down to 10 o'clock.

Now you could turn up the volumes a bit. Use a little more of the amps natural character. rather than slamming it hard in the EQ section.

I do alot of tweaking, and I find it dangerous to have everything on 10 like that.

• Members

Originally posted by carnage87

what is your trebble, middle, bass and gain set to?

Treble maxed, Mid 9 O'clock, Bass noon, the bass control kind of sucks on mine, it doesn't really do anything past noon, the Parametric's where I can dial in some low-end and lower mids.

On the parametric EQ the controls are Level - how much you want to boost using the Para EQ, Q (the range in frequencies around where you set the Freq control, low Q will be pretty focused on the frequency you select in the Freq control), Freq - is the Frequency you want to work with on the Para EQ.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how to set your EQ, There are too many factors.

There are a few variations of EQ. On my Fender and VHT twins....if I "zero" the EQ, I don't get much sound. On my Marshall VS100 combo...it sounds great with almost all eq at zero.

First thing I would do is bring down all your eq, including the presence... and set the parametric to "0". That's kind of like an "off" switch.

Keep in mind that your volume has a lot to do with how you eq. Low volumes will need more low and high. Once you start cranking the amp, you'll find you should reduce your EQ settings...GENERALLY.

The type of guitar you use will determine how you use your EQ. I use highs more on LP's than Strats. I use EQ more on the distortion channels to achieve a little more control.

If I were you...I would set up the distortion channel like this:

High. 10 o'clock

Mid. 12 or 2

Low. 10 o'clock

Presence...9 o'clock max.

Don't use the parametic yet. EQ's generally work better as cut, rather than boost. IF you cut a little bit around 500-800, you might be able to tighten up the bottom bit. With the low quality of your pics, I can't see what the freq goes up to...but you could add a little bit around 1.2k to give justa bit more bite. I say don't use the parametric if you don't have to. OR use it sparingly.

Back that gain down to about 2 or 3 o'clock.

Your clean could use some tweaking too....bring all those eq's down to 10 o'clock.

Now you could turn up the volumes a bit. Use a little more of the amps natural character. rather than slamming it hard in the EQ section.

I do alot of tweaking, and I find it dangerous to have everything on 10 like that.

kool thanks ill give all that a try. and just to note. i dont play with the setting you see in the pictures. they all got out of whack when i was moving it from my room to my computer room and i just recenty started playing my electric again. im guessing my lil bro was turing nobs.

oh yeah and as for the levels of the nobs all go up to 10 (as im sure you know) but the parametric nobs are as so

level

-5 lowest +5 highest

Q

has no number value seem to be about 21 tics though from short wave to long wave

frequency

100 at 7 o'clock

200 at 10 o'clock

500 at noon

1k at 2 o'clock

5k at 5 o'clock

• Members

ok ive figured out that im going to need 2 settings in the parametric eq for both distortion and clean this explains why id like the sound i had at one time and then completely hate it the next time.

so im going to spend the next few hours tweaking my settings to perfection. then ill report back here to give you my results.

know if i could only get that manual id be in heaven lol.

thanks for the help guys. youll be seeing me around these forums alot from now on. :thu:

• Members

ok i have fine tuned my settings to something i like

this is the clean settings

mid boost pulled

treble 6

middle 6

bass 6

clean.jpg

clean EQ

level 0

Q set at noon

freq 100

pesence 0

cleaneq.jpg

distortion settings

mid boost pulled

gain 10

trebble 10

middle 6

bass 6

distortion.jpg

distortion EQ

level +5

Q set to noon

freq 100

presence 10

distotioneq.jpg

and just cause i can heres a pic of the amp and my guitar haha

ampandguitar.jpg

• Members

Ah... I see you have the highs and presence dimed. But you are adding a TON of low end in the parametric.

Gain is dimed, but master volume is very low.

A little odd...but...dial in whatever works. Try recording it and see how it sounds on playback.

Above all...use good common sense and whatever works fer ya.

As far as the parametric EQ goes....that is a shared eq? (for both channels?). VHT has a graphic EQ that can be switched from both,to one, or th eother. It automatically can kick in and out when you change channels. I find that sweet....both channles canbebfit from extra EQ, but it's rare that they share the same settings. So I set it up for just the one. Many amps get by with just the standard 3 band EQ, so anything more is icing...if in doubt...just don't use it...or find a middle ground that benefits both channels.

• Members

A little odd...but...dial in whatever works. Try recording it and see how it sounds on playback.

It's a solid state amp, and if it's like my Yamaha from that era it doesn't have a whole lot of gain, maxed out it's like hard rock sort of gain.

• Members

Ah... I see you have the highs and presence dimed. But you are adding a TON of low end in the parametric.

Above all...use good common sense and whatever works fer ya.

As far as the parametric EQ goes....that is a shared eq? (for both channels?). VHT has a graphic EQ that can be switched from both,to one, or th eother. It automatically can kick in and out when you change channels. I find that sweet....both channles canbebfit from extra EQ, but it's rare that they share the same settings. So I set it up for just the one. Many amps get by with just the standard 3 band EQ, so anything more is icing...if in doubt...just don't use it...or find a middle ground that benefits both channels.

i do not have the volume set in the picture i turn it all the way down when i turn on or off the amp just for good messures. but even the no matter what i do the volume never seems to make it past 1 or 2 unless i want to shatter some windows lol.

as for recorging i tried both out and they sound good to me.

yeah the eqs are shared. i wrote down my settings for both for quick reference. but it will kinda suck if im playing a song and need to switch between the two. i should look into finding the foot switch and see if that has anything that might aleviate that problem.

but it shouldnt bother me that much cause the clean sounds decent on the distorions eq settings the settings i have for the clean eq are just prefered for the type of things i play on a clean channel.

Archived