Twin Reverb might have to go, ideas?

GoGoGoTheBand

• Members

Hi everyone. I'm moving from my rural(ish) house to a city apartment here pretty soon. I have a Twin Reverb that I love, but I'd really hate to piss of the neighbors, and it's such a pain to move. So here's what some pros and cons to the twin. Maybe you guys can help me figure out something I can do.

Pros: clean to, brightness, huge reverb (my band uses a lot, so ill need a really big spring sound) I love that kind of *twack* sound you get on the low strings.

Cons: it's heavy, (even at home I can only turn it up to two) too loud for my purpose.

I don't have really more an $100 to trade up, so it'll have to be around the price of what I can get for my twin. Some options I've thought of are the Princeton or maybe getting a Fender Excelsior and a reverb unit, saw a cool video of a guy who did that. Anyway, I don't know too much about amps, but the tone I'm trying to get is a sort of Dick Dale, Grizzly Bear, Tennis sort of sound. Or should I just say screw the world and keep what I've got? Thanks everyone!

• Members

Yeah, good luck... Lots of people are dumping their big amps in favor of smaller, lower-wattage combos, so ironically Princetons are worth the same or more than a Twin of similar vintage. Now that big PAs are the norm, big amps aren't really needed even by gigging musicians. Just look at craigslist, everyone selling a Twin or similar says "too big, too loud, too heavy..." blah blah blah... Funny, people never make that complaint about Marshalls. 

I have a MusicMan HD-212, sort of a Twin on steroids; I tried to sell it a few years ago and didn't get any takers even when I dropped the price to $325. I just kept it and use it, so what if the master volume is never turned past 4. 

Blackface Twins are the most valuable, early Silverfaces are still desired, the later "Ultralinear" models are less desireable and harder to sell. 

• Members

I'd hang on to your Twin if I was you... just turn it down for practicing when you get to the city. Twins are animals unto themselves, and everyone that I know that had one and sold it (including me) regretted selling them. If it's getting to be too heavy, buy a set of casters for it and roll it around as much as you can. ;)

• Members

My reply was probably tl;dnr   :smileyvery-happy:

So in keeping with a short answer....in might be a good idea to ditch the Twin is you just plain don't need it. Can alway re-buy?

The Mustang III would serve you well. It's easier to edit than the smaller I/II, and can still be played in a band setting, while getting satisfying tone at low volumes. It's all Fender...the cleans and breakup are there. Solid reverbs will get you Dick Dale easily. You have other options within just in case- hard rock and metal for "those times". :)

• Members

GoGoGoTheBand wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm moving from my rural(ish) house to a city apartment here pretty soon. I have a Twin Reverb that I love, but I'd really hate to piss of the neighbors, and it's such a pain to move. So here's what some pros and cons to the twin. Maybe you guys can help me figure out something I can do.

Pros: clean to, brightness, huge reverb (my band uses a lot, so ill need a really big spring sound) I love that kind of *twack* sound you get on the low strings.

Cons: it's heavy, (even at home I can only turn it up to two) too loud for my purpose.

I don't have really more an $100 to trade up, so it'll have to be around the price of what I can get for my twin. Some options I've thought of are the Princeton or maybe getting a Fender Excelsior and a reverb unit, saw a cool video of a guy who did that. Anyway, I don't know too much about amps, but the tone I'm trying to get is a sort of Dick Dale, Grizzly Bear, Tennis sort of sound. Or should I just say screw the world and keep what I've got? Thanks everyone!

GoGoGoTheBand wrote:

Keep the twin, all those and any that can be suggested are gonna be too loud.

Just run an fx box into it once in awhile if you can get away with it, and buy a little practice amp.

• Members

My guess is based on what ya gonna use it for. I use my Cyber-Twin when I need the stage volume (also a great recording amp). I use my DT25 for smaller venues and recording. Late at night (when my wife is sleeping), I plug into my HD500 and use headphones. I can plug both amps directly into the PA so that pretty much covers all the situations that I am going to play in.

Archived