Vox AD120vt / ad120vth

Divider_of_zero

• Members

I have the 120 VTH (blue grille head).  I've had it for ten years or so.  It is still the best sounding modelling amp Ive heard.  Though I prefer Modelling floor units this is the only modelling amp I've used that really really does it for me.

That said it has been a very problematic amp and I'd never trust it to do a gig which is a shame since it is excellent.  I had the common channel cutting out thing within a year of buying it.  It went into the "amp closet" for a good six yaers then I gave it away for a while but it was returned to me because it would fail at the worst times. 

I then did some research on these problems and found they were common.  I opened it up and found a fair few cold solder joints and I had to De-oxit all the jacks and inputs.  The amp now works fine and it's (though it may be overkill) my bedroom practice amp that is set up as a "full stack" (on top of two 2x12. that are kind of tall so its hard for me to see the knobs. 

You also need to know how to dial it in.  The 1970s Brit model needs the bass backed off a lot and then it is very convincing.  As you go to the gainier models you can put a bit of bass back in and with some mid shaping to taste the amp sounds really good.

• Members

I've got two of the 'Blue' ones and love them.  Best thing is to remove the old plastic jacks and replace them with metal jacks.  No more cutting in and out crap now.  And yes, they are great amps.

• Members

Also if you fix it up right you're damned right 300 bux is a good deal.  Minw with the v-4 foot controller was about a grand.

Divider_of_zero wrote:

I've heard mostly good things about these, If i can score a ad120vt plus the foot controller switch thingamajig for $300 plus $20 shipping is that a good deal? Also if you want to tell me your personal thoughts of them that would be great!

Thanks!

Oh yeah....  Dang tootin' $300.00 is a good deal.  Mine went near a grand for the controller and amp head new when I got it.

• Members

Well this is the 212 version, also from what I'm seeing this amp has a lot of problems (just infering from what you guys have posted) does that mean I'll most likely eventually need to get work done? Also based on the sound (the most important part!) does it mimic the amps it models good? Tube tone? Feel? sound?

thanks for the help!

Archived