Just bought a Peavey Valve King 112

bendedavis

• Members

I bought this amp on Friday after playing it in the store and being pretty impressed with it. Right after I bought I went to practice with my brother. The thing I really don't like about this amp is that it doesn't have the same tone when it gets loud, I'm guessing this is just because of the open back. At low volumes it sounds great. I live in an apartment and here it's fine, but I'd like an amp that I can be heard over drums with, and still have good tone. I was thinking about taking it back for a B52 AT112 since I've heard they are pretty versatile and have a closed back. What do you guys think? I play mostly indie music but my brother likes playing metal so I need an amp that can do metal and also have a nice clean tone.

• Members

I don't have a combo version, but it's my understanding they really do benefit greatly from a speaker swap. Easy component for the chinese manufactured stuff to keep the cost down so makes sense.

I have the VK100 head and love it. But I get to choose whatever cabs I have at my disposal to run it through. Also, I've never been fond of open back combos period.

• Members

I don't have a combo version, but it's my understanding they really do benefit greatly from a speaker swap. Easy component for the chinese manufactured stuff to keep the cost down so makes sense.

I have the VK100 head and love it. But I get to choose whatever cabs I have at my disposal to run it through. Also, I've never been fond of open back combos period.

Yeah I was thinking maybe I'd just go with the head and a closed back cab. What cab are you using with it? Probably any 212 with v30s should sound nice, right?

• Members

I have a Valve King 212 that sounds really harsh and piercing on high gain tones at band volume.

I put a Boss GE-7 graphic EQ in the loop and cut 1.6K almost completely. It really smooths out the tone A LOT!! It sounds much better!

Try that before you do speaker and tube changes maybe.

• Members

I'm not sure if V30s would be the best speakers for that amp. Even if stores near you only have the combos, try hooking them up to all sorts of other cabs, then get something with those speakers.

They had the head, I was just looking for a combo when I went in and figured it'd do what I wanted. Obviously not, so I'm gonna play the head next time I go there and probably return my combo for it.

• Members

Yeah I was thinking maybe I'd just go with the head and a closed back cab. What cab are you using with it? Probably any 212 with v30s should sound nice, right?

a good 2x12 with v30's will improve things a ton

if you want the option to use the combo at home, or another cab at shows/practice or whatever then the combo is great to have...if you don't need to use it for both tho, i'd probably get the head

• Members

When I had the valveking I thought the same thing. You could try swapping out the tubes ( pre and power) and maybe even the speaker. Oddly most 50 Watters would cut it in band practice I don't know why the VK isn't as loud.

All in all they are good amps.

• Members

When I had the valveking I thought the same thing. You could try swapping out the tubes ( pre and power) and maybe even the speaker. Oddly most 50 Watters would cut it in band practice I don't know why the VK isn't as loud.

All in all they are good amps.

Well the thing is I just got it so I can still return it for the next few weeks. That'd probably be better than replacing everything in it, and probably still not be satisfied. I guess a combo would be the best for me, being in an apartment. I actually think I'm gonna sell my Pod XT soon so I'll have a bit more money to put towards a good combo when I take this one back. I'd like something with a power switch to go from 100w to 50w if that's possible, and probably a limit of 800 dollars.

• Members

Well if you like Peavey look for the triple X 60 Watt 1x12. You can get those for under or around 600 clams ( used ). They are loud enough and don't sound like {censored} when turned down.

I don't necessarily like Peavey, I'm open to anything that sounds good. I'm wanting to just return this amp for something else at GC, so I can at least have the option of returning it if I don't like it. I'm probably gonna wait til July 4th to bring it back and see what kinda deals they have going on then, if I can get the Valveking head for cheap I'll probably do that, otherwise I'm really looking for a combo.

• Members

After looking at a lot of good reviews for the B52 AT100 head I think i'm gonna get it with a 212 cab. I think I'll just return the Peavey tomorrow. I'll probably use MF since they'll let you do 5 payments on stuff over $1,000. What 212 should I get from Musician's Friend?

• Members

OK here it is. B52 AT100 head and Randall R212NXT cab. Think that'll work good?

$599 sounds like a lot for that cab!

you could get a splawn 2x12 for around that:

http://www.splawnguitars.com/custenclos.htm

or if ya wanna go cheaper, i'd check out one of the avatar vintage cabs like this one:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Vintage%20Premier.htm

i'm not knocking the randall as they do make great stuff, i just haven't played that particular cab

• Members

$599 sounds like a lot for that cab!

you could get a splawn 2x12 for around that:

or if ya wanna go cheaper, i'd check out one of the avatar vintage cabs like this one:

i'm not knocking the randall as they do make great stuff, i just haven't played that particular cab

Well yeah, but the thing is I only have about 500 right now. So I could get one and then wait forever to get the other OR I could get them both now and pay for the next 5 months.

• Members

I've tried it all the way to both sides and many places in the between. The distortion was just really harsh when loud.

As with ALL tube amps...

I have found the best sweet spot with my ValveKing 100 head is to have the gain set at noon or even a bit lower...definitely NO higher. Do NOT engage the gain boost. Set the Resonance and Presence at Noon.

This will give you a nice, round, warm overdriven tone.

Then, use a nice OD pedal, such as a Digitech Bad Monkey, to send it over the top.

Do NOT listen to people who preach that an amp should make all the gain and tone you need...and/or that you don't need no stinkin' pedals. THIS IS NOT TRUE :mad: . Every tube amp I have ever owned has performed and sounded better when setting the amps controls for low to moderate overdrive/gain...and then boosting and slamming the front-end with an overdrive pedal (not a distortion pedal).

Give it a try, at least.

• Members

As with ALL tube amps...

I have found the best sweet spot with my ValveKing 100 head is to have the gain set at noon or even a bit lower...definitely NO higher. Do NOT engage the gain boost. Set the Resonance and Presence at Noon.

This will give you a nice, round, warm overdriven tone.

Then, use a nice OD pedal, such as a Digitech Bad Monkey, to send it over the top.

Do NOT listen to people who preach that an amp should make all the gain and tone you need...and/or that you don't need no stinkin' pedals. THIS IS NOT TRUE
:mad:
. Every tube amp I have ever owned has performed and sounded better when setting the amps controls for low to moderate overdrive/gain...and then boosting and slamming the front-end with an overdrive pedal (not a distortion pedal).

Give it a try, at least.

I've got an SD-1, guess I could give it a try.

Archived