Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Peavey Valve King 112

I bought this amp on Friday after playing it in the store and being pretty impressed with it. Right after I bought I went to practice with my brother. The thing I really don't like about this amp is that it doesn't have the same tone when it gets loud, I'm guessing this is just because of the open back. At low volumes it sounds great. I live in an apartment and here it's fine, but I'd like an amp that I can be heard over drums with, and still have good tone. I was thinking about taking it back for a B52 AT112 since I've heard they are pretty versatile and have a closed back. What do you guys think? I play mostly indie music but my brother likes playing metal so I need an amp that can do metal and also have a nice clean tone.
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/bendedavis

try running the valve king into that sunn 1x12 you have listed in your sig
    http://brymas.net - photography

5150 (presence 10, treble 10, bass 10, mid 0)
    Boss Metal Zone
    Boss Metal Zone
    Boss Metal Core
    Boss Metal Zone
    MXR Wlyde OD
    B.C. Rich

Comment

I don't think that B52 is really going to be much better. I hate the 1x12 combo.

Comment

Buy a 20-watt Traynor.
        Now go do the right thing.

Cheap gear rules!!
        Agile Valkyrie 6/12 double neck
        Carvin bolt-kit w/ Bill Lawrence pickups
        Washburn BT-10 Maverick w/ Bill Lawrence pickups
        modified Pignose G40V
        modified Marshall Valvestate 8240
        Zoom G7.1ut
        piles of cheap stomp boxes and digital delays...

Comment

try running the valve king into that sunn 1x12 you have listed in your sig

I've already sold it, just updated my sig.

Comment

that's what I found with the vk112. Sounds great on it's own at bedroom levels, but not so great in a band situation

Comment

I don't have a combo version, but it's my understanding they really do benefit greatly from a speaker swap. Easy component for the chinese manufactured stuff to keep the cost down so makes sense.

I have the VK100 head and love it. But I get to choose whatever cabs I have at my disposal to run it through. Also, I've never been fond of open back combos period.
              My Favorite CL ad:

Type slower and proofread

Ernest Claptron is pissed

Comment

I don't have a combo version, but it's my understanding they really do benefit greatly from a speaker swap. Easy component for the chinese manufactured stuff to keep the cost down so makes sense.

I have the VK100 head and love it. But I get to choose whatever cabs I have at my disposal to run it through. Also, I've never been fond of open back combos period.

Yeah I was thinking maybe I'd just go with the head and a closed back cab. What cab are you using with it? Probably any 212 with v30s should sound nice, right?

Comment

I have a Valve King 212 that sounds really harsh and piercing on high gain tones at band volume.

I put a Boss GE-7 graphic EQ in the loop and cut 1.6K almost completely. It really smooths out the tone A LOT!! It sounds much better!

Try that before you do speaker and tube changes maybe.

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
                  - John Lennon
                  Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
                  Epiphone Empire
                  F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
                  Marshall Circle of Tone
                  SG ARMY

Comment

I'm not sure if V30s would be the best speakers for that amp. Even if stores near you only have the combos, try hooking them up to all sorts of other cabs, then get something with those speakers.

Comment

I'm not sure if V30s would be the best speakers for that amp. Even if stores near you only have the combos, try hooking them up to all sorts of other cabs, then get something with those speakers.

They had the head, I was just looking for a combo when I went in and figured it'd do what I wanted. Obviously not, so I'm gonna play the head next time I go there and probably return my combo for it.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking maybe I'd just go with the head and a closed back cab. What cab are you using with it? Probably any 212 with v30s should sound nice, right?

a good 2x12 with v30's will improve things a ton

if you want the option to use the combo at home, or another cab at shows/practice or whatever then the combo is great to have...if you don't need to use it for both tho, i'd probably get the head
                        Framus Cobra, Mesa Mark III, VHT Deliverance, Ampeg SS150
                        Splawn OS 2x12 & two 4x12's

Comment

When I had the valveking I thought the same thing. You could try swapping out the tubes ( pre and power) and maybe even the speaker. Oddly most 50 Watters would cut it in band practice I don't know why the VK isn't as loud.
                          All in all they are good amps.
                          '12 Carvin DC800
                          '08 Loomis FR EMG 707's
                          ---
                          Splawn Quickrod EL34's (Purple)
                          AxeFX Ultra
                          ART SLA-2

http://www.youtube.com/aconstantbattle
                          ---
                          Super Sexy Splawn Society

Comment

• wetreverb
                            wetreverb commented
                            Editing a comment

Something that happened to me the first time I used my VK-112 in a band practice makes me wonder if you all have been so unfamiliar with the amp's features and settings, that you are unintendedly being unjust in your criticisms of the amp.  If not, that's cool, but since this happened to me, I feel like sharing it.

Like other commenters here, I couldn't understand why my VK-112 wasn't able to cut through.  The rhythm guitarist was playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe, a 40-Watt amp, and the bass player was keeping his volume perfectly under control.  The drummer was not pounding the skins excessively, yet even with my Master Volume on the Clean channel set at 6-8 I was getting an overdriven sound, with volume levels more suggestive of a 30-Watt amp.  Totally stumped.  Depressed, thinking I'm going to have to go through the hassles of advertising, haggling, and selling this one, and maybe replacing it with a 60-100 Watt Solid State amp that I can afford.

I pulled out the Owners Manual and really read through all the description of the amp's features and controls.  This amp has what they call a "Texture" control, adjusted via a rotating knob on the back panel.  This knob, turned all the way to "Class A", cuts the effective headroom from the power amp section, to an effective 30 Watts RMS!  Turned all the way to "Class A/B" the power amp section is pumping the 50 Watts RMS that is claimed for the amp.  MY TEXTURE KNOB WAS SET ALL THE WAY TO "CLASS A".

Giving me a THIRTY WATT AMP.

I have had no problem cutting through at rehearsals since then.  I've actually been asked to turn down a bit, so as not to disturb the neighbors down the block.  I LOVE MY VK-112, and understanding and knowing exactly how all the controls and settings function, was vital to me getting what I need from this beautifully engineered and well-built work horse amp.

When I had the valveking I thought the same thing. You could try swapping out the tubes ( pre and power) and maybe even the speaker. Oddly most 50 Watters would cut it in band practice I don't know why the VK isn't as loud.
                          All in all they are good amps.

Well the thing is I just got it so I can still return it for the next few weeks. That'd probably be better than replacing everything in it, and probably still not be satisfied. I guess a combo would be the best for me, being in an apartment. I actually think I'm gonna sell my Pod XT soon so I'll have a bit more money to put towards a good combo when I take this one back. I'd like something with a power switch to go from 100w to 50w if that's possible, and probably a limit of 800 dollars.

Comment

Well if you like Peavey look for the triple X 60 Watt 1x12. You can get those for under or around 600 clams ( used ). They are loud enough and don't sound like **************** when turned down.
                            '12 Carvin DC800
                            '08 Loomis FR EMG 707's
                            ---
                            Splawn Quickrod EL34's (Purple)
                            AxeFX Ultra
                            ART SLA-2

http://www.youtube.com/aconstantbattle
                            ---
                            Super Sexy Splawn Society

Comment

Working...
                            X