Need help/info on the tonal diffs in the Peavey 5150-family.

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

Need some help from your persoanl insight/experience with the 5150-series of amps.

Can you guys (in an easy to follow fashion) pin point the major tonal diffs (and maybe features) of the 5150 family of amps.

What are the diffs (improvements/pro's/con's, and, and, and) between the 5150, 5150II, 5605, 6505+, 6534+ and the EVH 5150III.

I spoke with some local guys, and some still feel the very first block letter 5150 had the most organic, distictive and "raw'est" tone of the entire series.

Those same muso's feel the EVH 5150III sounds too generic and when A/B'ed with most other high gain amps, will not stand out from the crowd as a member of the 5150 family, like th e1st gen 5150 does.

NO NEED to comment on the 'el cheapo 1X12 combo  ;-)

So guys, any info will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Mostly gain variations.

65XX series are similar to 5150, but some power supply changes were added. Some say those more affected the 6505 than the others. The 5150III is Fender's version. Some say its a creamier sound with a little more mids. IDK.

I also think I read once, some designs had to do with what EVH branded guitars when he switched to Peavey.

Cabs are also a big difference maker.

• Members

My opinion is that the the 5150/6500 family all have some tones.  The block letter this and the flux capacitor that is all crap to me, something to generate a buzz. Your cab matters as much as which generation amp you have, as pointed out by a previous poster.

The EL34 version I don't care for, but I just don't like the tone of those tubes.

Derek

• Members

I 2nd the 5150 iii 50w.. I've had the block letter pv version and the 5150 212 combo.. I like the new fender era better. The peavey are great.. I still like them... And may get another for the sake of having it. You won't go wrong with getting one. The newer 6505 allow for basis.. When they arrive from the factory they are a bit cold. I would suggest a warmer setting.

Archived