Mojave, Spalwn or Voodoo amp?

omni

• Members

omni wrote:

Wow, this place really has changed.
:(

It has. Give it a little time. It took 15 years to get where it was. It will get repopulated again.

Sorry I can't help you too much. I think the Splawn has had good rep for being a kick ass marshall. It's the only one of the three I have heard/played. For some reason, it did not impress me as much as it did some when it was the HCAF darling. A good amp? Sure! The be all one and only? Not so much.

I'm willing to say any one of those three amps would be awesome.

Have you thought about a Marshall? Not joking. The JVM 410 is {censored}ing KILLER dude. I {censored} you not, dude.  a kick ass Marshall!

• Members

First I'll say all of those amps are great!! I've owned both a splawn modded 1987x and a voodoo modded jtm 45. While I did like them I did not fall completely in love. The splawn was very dry sounding and not organic to my ears. Really only sounded great when turned up crazy loud. You really had to be on you best game when you played it. Some people like that, I like an amp that plays itself in a sense. I can't speak for the splawn amp line though, never played them. Of course I've heard nothing but good clips, and good things from splawn owners!

The voodoo was cool. Real classic tones that I liked in that amp. Not enough gain on tap for me and ended up selling. But it had great tone! They make some killer amps! Vrock is a beast. Awesome mods all around, and the owner goes to great lengths to help people out.

Having said that. No question, I'd take a Mojave peacemaker over both of the ones I've owned:) those amps do kick ass and HAVE that Marshall growl. That be my preference in those three.

• Members

sickboy..that is a great observation. If I may use modellers as an example:

The Line 6 Pod HD500 (and it's family, I assume) have so many great things. It's like engineering your own amp. And you have to know what you are doing. Good tones are there. But, it can be a "sterile" sound. Nature of the beast.

On the other hand, a Vox Tonelab SE (and family, I presume) can have a very organic feel, by comparison, even if you aren't sure what you are doing.

I'm not trying to compare amps and modellers. Just terminology comparison. There are some players who want a sterile, laboratory sound. But most people want an easy natural sound no matter their genre. Even some metal players want natural feedback and attack.....but those folks are just a small number in the overall population of guitar players. Just trying to cover my H-C butt here, though maybe we have a more diverse group these days.

Longstoryshort... I like you philosophy of your instruments "playing themselves". It's like there are no limits, yet forgiving. Tough thing to explain. "Plays itself" is as good as anything.

• Members

Steve,

Yeah modelers, amps, its all the same when it comes to feeling. Some are easy, and some make you work for it. Ill tell you what, I got better at playing when I had that Splawn Marshall. Still, my amp search never ended. That is until I bought a Fortin Cali. Now that is the end all for me. :)

Archived