Fender DRRI alternatives?

thom

• Members

I'm kinda out of the loop, I'm clueless when it comes to newer amps. And I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch of  older/classic/famous amps too...

I've been spending a ton of money on guitars lately, and I'm sorta strapped for cash atm. 

I have zero complaints about my DRRI, except that it's still a bit too loud to use almost exclusively at home. 

The good thing about the extra power is that I can take it to rehearsels/jams and run a stereo rig, and it makes a good backup in case I fry my other amp or something. 

ANYWAY...I'm not after some sort of Deluxe Reverb clone or anything, I like vox/marshall/orange tones just as much, it's more a matter of finding the right specs than anything else. I just know I'd like something that costs less what the DRRI will fetch me, and has between 15-22watt of power. An AC15HW would've been perfect, with the half power switch and all...But that costs about five times more than what I wanted to spend:s

Currently in the running: The regular AC15 C1 and and the ampeg reverberocket.

A peavey Classic 30 should be affordable enough, and having two seperate channels is a huge bonus.... So anyone know of another no-frills 1x12 tube combo that fits the description? It'd have to be good for all kinds of rockbluesjazzwhatever, but everything I do is usually pretty retro/vintage/oldschool inspired. I'm kind of into all sorts of styles though, except maybe for heavy metal and really main stream slick radio crap. 

Cheers. 

• Members

akapuli wrote:

thom wrote:

I've been spending a ton of money on guitars lately, 

Sell the guitars, buy the amp which matches the DRRI in quality. (or a second DRRI)

AC15, PRRI would be my candidates.

You're welcome.
:)

I'm selling guitars like there's no tomorrow, but that wasn't even the main reason. I just don't want a high end tube amp in my living room if it only gets used once in a while. I could afford to keep it if I wanted to, but I just can't justify not selling it, there's always something else that's more fun/usefull I could spend the money on instead.

I know the PRRI seems like an obvious choice for a smaller DRRI, but I'm really partial to 12" speakers.

I know it's something completely different, but if by any chance I could find a cheapo Marshall 2061x and dito cab, I'll probably jump it. 90% of the time when I'm noodling at home, I've got some sort of marshall-in-a-box distortion pedal on, and I've always regreted selling my vintage Superbass and Plexi. They were just way to loud, even for live shows and rehearsels. 

Anyway, the AC15 C2 seems perfect at the moment, though it might take a while till I find a used one locally.

• Members

Thanks for the thread ressurection:)

Already kinda made up my mind though: AC15C2. 

I'm gonna take my time to find a good deal for a used one, not to mension I'll have to get a good price for my DRRI first...

• Members

thom wrote:

I'm kinda out of the loop, I'm clueless when it comes to newer amps. And I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch of  older/classic/famous amps too...

I've been spending a ton of money on guitars lately, and I'm sorta strapped for cash atm. 

I have zero complaints about my DRRI, except that it's still a bit too loud to use almost exclusively at home. 

The good thing about the extra power is that I can take it to rehearsels/jams and run a stereo rig, and it makes a good backup in case I fry my other amp or something. 

ANYWAY...I'm not after some sort of Deluxe Reverb clone or anything, I like vox/marshall/orange tones just as much, it's more a matter of finding the right specs than anything else. I just know I'd like something that costs less what the DRRI will fetch me, and has between 15-22watt of power. An AC15HW would've been perfect, with the half power switch and all...But that costs about five times more than what I wanted to spend:s

Currently in the running: The regular AC15 C1 and and the ampeg reverberocket.

A peavey Classic 30 should be affordable enough, and having two seperate channels is a huge bonus.... So anyone know of another no-frills 1x12 tube combo that fits the description? It'd have to be good for all kinds of rockbluesjazzwhatever, but everything I do is usually pretty retro/vintage/oldschool inspired. I'm kind of into all sorts of styles though, except maybe for heavy metal and really main stream slick radio crap. 

Cheers. 

I had 2 DRRIs and sold one and had the other sent out to be gutted & hand wired I also added a Dr Z air brake attenuator and swapped the very loud stock Jensen for a p12n, an old Magnavox Jensen style speaker. It is not as loud and sounds much smoother and clearer.  I now built a champ that is 5 /10 watts depending upon using a 6v6 or a 6L6. The kit is not that complicated but I only need to figure out why I'm blowing fuses too easy. The sound is every bit a good as my $18oo re do deluxe w/o the reverb and extra channel. Just flabulous. See my thread I just started. the kit was $210 w/o the speaker and 3 tubes. You just cannot beat a hand wired amp with quality components.

The sound is way better than the massed produced pc board amps.\_DSC0434.JPG

Archived