Hiwatt 15w buskers Amp?? Anyone?

Bullettoothtony

• Members

So, I've deduced that my xmas present from a family member will be this amp, as they know I need one to busk with. Its a Hiwatt 15 watter HMBSK maxwatt series, does anyone have any experience with this amp? Any good? looks great on paper, internal rechargeable battery, 8" high performance speaker, etc If not, anyone got anything on Hiwatt amps in general? Thanks in advance

• Members

They are OEM Fernandes buys from various Chinese vendors specialized in that field. See if you can find the same amp without Hiwatt brand associated price tag. Probably sold under "Megatone" brand or something.

"Compact and portable, battery or mains powered busking amp from the legendary British company. "

LOL.

• Members

Hiwatt as a brand is a classic, well respected, military grade made, amplifier company.
Used by many big name acts over the years.
(Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, etc.)
Solid state Hiwatts made in Asia have no such associations.
This amp is a Hiwatt in name only.

Whether it is a decent SS amp - well, I doubt if anyone here has played one.

• Members

you can most likely do much better for the money.

fwiw a friend of mine had some cheap Hiwatt practice amp and it had a cheap jack that broke off the PCB and when I tried to fix it, i had to drill a whole in the cabinet just to get the chassis out.

edit, i just read the OP again. It should be fine for busking idn_smilie.gif

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I just bought one of these here in Mexico, where all technology is failrly hard to get and like double the price, and I paid 3500 pesos which is almost US$300.  I am not a professional but this this is great.  Loud and I hardly have to plug it in to play out for hours a few nights in a row on a single charge, albeit at fairly low volume, but this thing gets up there.

I havn't played out in a while and am just using it for playing projector vidoes on the wall and it fills the room with sound and I have watched about half a dozen movies with a single charge, and it's still going.  It has a two channel bus each with level control so you can play guitar and mic together.  I was thinking of some new Fender thing with digital screen and a bunch of crazy plastic knobs, so glad I didn't buy that.

Pros: The construction is solid and the inputs are all 1/4" and sturdy.  Its fairly loud and has a decent battery life.  It has rubber feet on two sides so you can set it up as a monitor with a 45 degree upward tilt toward you, or you can set it up tall so you can sit on it.  To me it just looks beautiful and kinda retro.

Cons: My actual purchase was kinda expenside.  It is a little heavy so the handle might start to come loose over time since this thing is intended to be hauled around; so a full chasis strap might have been a good idea. And it could use some metal corner protection which it doesn't have and I find this particularly lacking especially since there is only one handle and in order to set it up on the short feet, and if you only have one hand free you need to set it down tall-wise and then roll it over the corners onto the long side.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
Does Roland not make one????????

Roland has 4 options.

1. Roland Street cube:

2. Roland Street Cube EX: an upgrade to tne street cube with better features a ad bigger

3. Roland AC-33: Acoustic busking amp.

4. Roland Micro Cube Bass: battery powered busking amp for bass.

• 4 years later...

Archived