holy shit - i've found it!!!!!

rawhedrex

• Members

After months of being disgruntled, and plain pissed off at guitaring in general - and sounds in general. my custom ratajczyk amplifier returned from it's creator - and what can i say? - Holy {censored} this is the best amp i have ver played, by miles. chunky clear midrangy distortion that goes from blues to the most brutal of brutal - like an even punchier soldano with more low mids.

I can finally stop spending money!

and the cleans are like a {censored}ing fender......I must be losing it - this amp wasn't my cup of tea at all when i got it, and now - it just cant get any better - i cant stop playing it.

{censored} life is good!

anyone in australia needs to check these out if you are into metal - call bj amplifiers in brisbane and ask about the amp he made for kosta - It was the first, and i'm sure it wont be the last

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by sw_gestalt

{censored} man you got a BJ?

Clips!

Pics!

More Info in General!

How much did it set you back?

dude - it's the first proto of his metal amps - same circuit as his overdrive special, only hes modified the preamp in a big way.

heres the silly part - 1500 aussie dollars!!!! - for a handmade amp! -

get one - if you want a metal amp - tell him - they are awesome.

wont be able to do clips for a while though.....

• Members

Originally posted by takedeepbreaths

Hey since you're in Australia, have you ever tried any Sherlock amps?

no I haven't - they are meant to be pretty good though - once again a very rocky sound. Sherlock amplifiers are a little flashier and far more expensive than BJs - they have midi and all sorts of bells and whistles.

I've never heard one to be honest - but I've heard they are good.

Sherlock is in melbourne BTW - thats a couple of thousand Ks from me.....

• Members

Originally posted by rawhedrex

dude - it's the first proto of his metal amps - same circuit as his overdrive special, only hes modified the preamp in a big way.

heres the silly part - 1500 aussie dollars!!!! - for a handmade amp! -

get one - if you want a metal amp - tell him - they are awesome.

wont be able to do clips for a while though.....

Man, thats {censored}ing ridiculous. 1500 spent at a store buys you, what, a line 6 spider, a Marshall AVT...

I'm considering selling the powerball and getting something else, so aquiring one of these seems a very logical move given the price, and the fact that I'll probably be able to give him some kind of direction as to how I'd like it to sound.

A few questions, if you dont mind answering...

How many channels does it have?

What kind of tubes does it take?

What controls does it have?

and of course... What does the {censored}er sound like? Like a hotrodded marshall, or more of a mesa type grind?

Cheers

Dave

• Members

Man, thats {censored}ing ridiculous. 1500 spent at a store buys you, what, a line 6 spider, a Marshall AVT...

I'm considering selling the powerball and getting something else, so aquiring one of these seems a very logical move given the price, and the fact that I'll probably be able to give him some kind of direction as to how I'd like it to sound.

A few questions, if you dont mind answering...

How many channels does it have?

What kind of tubes does it take?

What controls does it have?

and of course... What does the {censored}er sound like? Like a hotrodded marshall, or more of a mesa type grind?

Cheers

Dave

well mine has two channels, and a boost switch on the drive channel. very much like three channels - as the boost can take you from ACDC - to metallica.

he can put any tubes you like in it - mine is fifty watts, el34 - stupidly loud.

controls are very simple - shared eq, pull pot on the gain - resonance on the back (custom option)

it sounds very much like a hotrodded marshall - reminds me alot of a soldano type of sound - only more METAL it has more low mids going on than a marshall - it probably doesn't have the scissor sharp definition of the powerball, but the sound is waaaaaay more organic - and can hold the low B with ease on my seven. - I've never played a better lead amp in my life, and for death metal - it kicks a whole lotta ass. cuts the mix like a knife - drowned out the recto and the blackmore we put it next to. you have to turn it up - get some ear-plugs. The sound is almost over the top - it's not a dry and simple sound - very brutal.

It's a very straight forward design.

for more money - he can make you whatever you want - even a kt88 power section if you ask him. you can even tweak the preamp if you want - but this takes time - (thats how he eventually designed mine)

he's also designing a monster in the next few months - a total metal machine with more bells and whistles than mine has.

best thing to do is call him - and talk to him about what you want - tell him you are after something for metal like he did for kosta if you want, and go from there.

Oh and his cabinets are the best you can get also - once again cheap as chips.

let me know how you go - jon is a champ to deal with - but isn't a metal guy, so it can be hard explaining things sometimes.

• Members

Originally posted by Omichron

Is there any information on these amps on the net?

unfortunately - no

Jon likes the flow of buisness as it is - and likes people to contact him directly. he's funny like that.

• Members

well - I'm not sure if he would actually make one for overseas customers - part of the deal with jon is that you work with him to get the sound you want -

if you did want one - I'm sure he would charge you the same price - which would be around 100 american dollars - and then shipping etc.

• Members

Thanks for the info Kosta. Sounds really exciting... I believe i'll be speaking to him shortly, but i may wait until the new design is ready. I have to sell my amp first anyway.

Some clips would be awesome if you get the chance... otherwise I've been told he's setting up a website pretty soon.

Anyway man, congratulations on finding your sound. May it serve you well.

• Members

Thanks for the info Kosta. Sounds really exciting... I believe i'll be speaking to him shortly, but i may wait until the new design is ready. I have to sell my amp first anyway.

Some clips would be awesome if you get the chance... otherwise I've been told he's setting up a website pretty soon.

Anyway man, congratulations on finding your sound. May it serve you well.

dont count on a website from him man - believe me it's not going to happen.....

best thing to do is visit him - or get him on the phone.

• Members

Originally posted by rawhedrex

well - I'm not sure if he would actually make one for overseas customers - part of the deal with jon is that you work with him to get the sound you want -

if you did want one - I'm sure he would charge you the same price - which would be around 100 american dollars - and then shipping etc.

$100 american dollars? How can you go wrong? Are you sure that's not a typo?

Archived