Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II hiss

torqvaw

• Members

Recently bought a Triamp MKII and having some possible issues that I need some input on.  

I don't have another Triamp to compare so if anybody has one I would love your input!

Is it normal for this head to have a some hiss on the crunch channels 2a and 2b? 

All channels have some hiss to one degree or another.  The clean channels are virtually silent, but still have some.  The hiss in the crunch channel is more prominant that I would expect and is easily audible with any amount of master volume.  The lead channel 3a is the the loudest (and rather expected) but odddly enough 3b has quite a bit less noise than the crunch channels. 

This may be the nature of this amp.  Not sure..  I do have a JVM that is dead silent until you get to OD-1 orange and up.  Maybe the JVM is just that quiet.

I have swapped out a couple preamp tubes that go to the crunch channel with no luck.  Btw..the amp is silent with the channels volumes down so I'm guessing it's preamp hiss.

Thanks for any input!

• Members

I do have a JVM that is dead silent until you get to OD-1 orange and up

torqvaw wrote:

Recently bought a Triamp MKII and having some possible issues that I need some input on.  

I don't have another Triamp to compare so if anybody has one I would love your input!

Is it normal for this head to have a some hiss on the crunch channels 2a and 2b? 

All channels have some hiss to one degree or another.  The clean channels are virtually silent, but still have some.  The hiss in the crunch channel is more prominant that I would expect and is easily audible with any amount of master volume.  The lead channel 3a is the the loudest (and rather expected) but odddly enough 3b has quite a bit less noise than the crunch channels. 

This may be the nature of this amp.  Not sure..  I do have a JVM that is dead silent until you get to OD-1 orange and up...snip

The thing is you arent saying how much hiss the marshall has.

My opinion is a stock Marshall generally has less hiss than some amps becuase they are't as high gain or premap gain heavy. A Triamp would generally attempt to have more gain...more preamp gain...on tap. Hence...more hiss.

It's the whole reason for "hot- modded" or "boosted" Marshall. And it's a good formula, but it means some players weren't happy with the OVERALL gain/distortion structure. They wanted more cowbell.

I've always preferred a little hiss in my high gain, maybe even moderate amounts. It's natrual to high gain curcuits. Any kind of gate or noise reduction *usually* affects the sustain. In a live situatione neither you, the band nor the audience is aware or bothered by moderate hiss, especially with your guitar volume knob or floor volume pedal. Just bring the pain, then use your guitar volume knob or volume pedal in between the pain for the quiet times

. No one will care. They'll be amazed at your thunderous riffs!

• Members

Steve,

The JVM has more hiss on OD1 and up than channel 3 on the triamp. The Jvm does have a crazy amount of gain though compared to the triamp. The crunch channel on the triamp has similar amounts of gain to the crunch red channel on the jvm. In this case the jvm is silent.

Archived