4x12 question

BryceS33

• Members

So I have a Fender Super Champ X2 that I would like to try with my 4x12 cab.  The Super Champ has an 8 ohm output on it.  The 4x12 cab that I have has a 16 ohm output and a switch that goes to 8 ohms for stereo use.  Can I just switch the cab to 8 ohms and play?  Or can I possibly blow speakers this way?

• Members

Switching to the stereo 8 ohm input on the cab will be a proper match, but you'll only have 2 of the 4 speakers working for you (one of the stereo sides). This is fine though. If you go into the 16 ohm mono input, it'll drive all 4 speakers but it'll be an impedence mismatch. 8 ohms -> 16 ohms is fine I believe (the reverse can harm the amp, someone correct me if I'm wrong), your tone and volume level might suffer a bit though. 

• Members

danbronson wrote:

If you go into the 16 ohm mono input, it'll drive all 4 speakers but it'll be an impedence mismatch. 8 ohms -> 16 ohms is fine I believe.

For tube amps, the impedances have to match. Impedance mismatch can be fine at low volumes, but you risk damage to your output transformer at higher volumes.

Archived