Difficulty finding good metal musicians in NJ

DarkCide

• Members

I've been trying to put a line up (trio) together for more than a year and I've had very little success. Most people who contact me either disappear after a few emails or are not technically capable. I've posted ads on craigs list and myspace but it seems like New Jersey, especially the Central area is dead when it comes to metal. The style of music is Thrashy, Melodic and slightly atmospheric. Here's the ad I've been posting. Any suggestions on how to get better responses would be appreciated.

"Looking for a drummer, bassist and keys player who are technically and musically competent for a metal band.

The music is heavy and melodic. It also combines thrash influences along with modern epic sounds.

Influences include: Opeth, Kreator, Testament, Overkill, Candlemass, Samael, Orphanage, Children of Bodom, Carcass and Coroner.

Seeking musicians with a professional attitude. No alcoholics or substance abusers. I have my own pro gear, means for transportation and I expect you to have the same.

The plans are to complete writing the original material, record then play live.

Check out myspace.com/cideband --> "Cide Medley" for a sample.

Please include links to your samples or music in your email."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

keep looking dude, I'm in the trenton area... I've meet plenty of technically capable guys. I've been in a lamb of god / soilwork type band myself. I'm not doing the metal thing much anymore, more of an AIC/GNR vibe. They ARE hard to find but there. Look in the monroe/ brunswicks area. Theres a bit of a scene there. Look to PA too.

• Members

Lol. When you say metal, and "no alcoholics or substance abusers" you're {censored}ing yourself. I know it's in good taste, but there's just not many of us who are straight edge.

I don't read it that way, I think he's trying to weed out the worthless losers who'll steal your gear or {censored} you over by not getting to gigs/practice. For me alcohol and weed are one thing, but I will never be in a band with anyone who does coke, heroin, pills etc.

• Members

I'm pretty far from being straight edge. Not even close. But as exafro said, I'm simply trying to weed out ultra losers who are f*cked up somehow.

It's not that metal attracts that kind of crowd, but musicians in general have that kind of tendencies. Metal just amplifies it and takes it to a new level.

• Members

Last year I met an excellent drummer who was able to play my songs and was a decent guy. He decided he didn't want to play drums anymore to focus on playing guitar in a pop band. Waste of talent.

It seems like Jersey is VERY popularity driven where being accepted and popular is more of a priority than playing music which you actually like.

• Members
Last year I met an excellent drummer who was able to play my songs and was a decent guy. He decided he didn't want to play drums anymore to focus on playing guitar in a pop band. Waste of talent.

It seems like Jersey is VERY popularity driven where being accepted and popular is more of a priority than playing music which you actually like.

it's stupid.. but you're right.

I almost broke down and considered playing bass in a pop-punk band just so i could play music out again.

but then i came to my senses and waited.. and then i found something :)

• Members

The exact thing happened to me. We had an excellent drummer who quit our metal band to play blues guitar in his solo project. He thought he was going to be the next John Mayer:lol:

Archived