Crate Palomino Amps are Overlooked and Underrated

WoodenDuckMaker

• Members

I should have never sold my Crate Palomino V8 amp. It was the perfect apartment amp. It had a great sounding Celestion 12" speaker, 5 Class A Watts. Made in St. Louis. An awesome price. The blonde tolex and gold hardware was gorgeous. I guess they didn't sell well enough because people could not accept a Crate amp being good, and it puzzled guitarists to see a small Crate combo that wasn't under $200. So Crate decided to make them in Vietnam or Taiwan and cut the price, and cut the quality, to stay closer to how they are perceived, and it was just another flop for them.

Now i'm searching all over Craigslist and eBay and I cant find a single V8 for sale :(

CrateV8.jpg 

• Members

WoodenDuckMaker wrote:

I should have never sold my Crate Palomino V8 amp. It was the perfect apartment amp. It had a great sounding Celestion 12" speaker, 5 Class A Watts. Made in St. Louis. An awesome price. The blonde tolex and gold hardware was gorgeous. I guess they didn't sell well enough because people could not accept a Crate amp being good, and it puzzled guitarists to see a small Crate combo that wasn't under $200. So Crate decided to make them in Vietnam or Taiwan and cut the price, and cut the quality, to stay closer to how they are perceived, and it was just another flop for them.

Now i'm searching all over Craigslist and eBay and I cant find a single V8 for sale
:(

CrateV8.jpg

Actually, it is a 10" Celestion. Great little amps though! I sold one of mine of Ebay a few months ago. Keeping the other one.

• Members

The first run of the palomino series were all made in the US. I have a V32 combo I recently bought used at guitar center for a little over $200 with tax and shipping. Only isses with these amps is that unless you stuck a fan in the back (I do), they get ridiculously hot and eat tubes. Since I put the fan back there, I get a LOT more life. 

Archived