Ibanez TSA15H Concerns?

wanner

• Members

I am looking for a low wattage tube amp to use at home and the current leader is the Ibanez TSA15H.

There are however two things that im worried about.

#1. If im not mistaken the FX loop on the TSA is not a real FX loop, meaning that it will put any effects plugged in to it behind the TS but before the preamp? How does this work with reverb? Wouldnt it be bad to put a reverb before the preamp? Maybe works well as long as the TS is the only source for gain, but what if you crank the clean channel?

#2. Im worried about the level of noise coming from the TSA15H. I read that you can hear a humming sound from the amp? Any TSA owners out there that can report how your amps behave? Since ill be playing 99% of the time in my living room i want it to be as silent as possible.

Thanks!

• Members

Got a chance to try the TSA15h today at my local music store, really liked it. Difficult to tell how much noise it omitted since the overall noise level in the shop was louder than it will be in my livingroom smile.gif. However, i noticed that when i increased treble or tone on the built in TS the humming increased significantly, is this normal?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I ended up buying TSA15H+TSA112C and it is indeed very noise-free. There is no problem (noisewise) to turn the treble to max. I think the one i tried in the shop must have been faulty (or the combo is much more noisier).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wanner

View Post

I ended up buying TSA15H+TSA112C and it is indeed very noise-free. There is no problem (noisewise) to turn the treble to max. I think the one i tried in the shop must have been faulty (or the combo is much more noisier).

Can you give a little bit of a review of the amp? I'm interested in these amps.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
Can you give a little bit of a review of the amp? I'm interested in these amps.
Sure, i have the TSA15H + TSA112C. I tested the combo version as well but much prefered the head + cab since the combo was very noisy (probably a bad copy?).
I am only using it in my home at apartment-volumes so i cant say anything how it performs in smaller live venues.

I am very happy with mine, using it together with a Les Paul (490R/498T). I have no problem with noise and i think that the amp is pretty versatile. I play mostly clean/blues/rock and think the amp performs very well for my needs. The built-in tubescreamer gives a very nice smooth warm distortion. I wouldnt say it's well-suited for metal, maybe with a distortion pedal, not interested in that type of music so can't really say.

The only thing im missing is a proper FX-loop. From what I've read the loop in the TSA15 will let you put stuff after the tube screamer but before the actual amp. However since the amp takes alot of pushing before breaking up i guess this is not a big problem. Still would be nice with a true fx loop. With that said Im using mine together with a Zoom G3 in the loop and is very happy with it! Using effects and the looper(!!) from the G3, distortions, reverb, delay etc and keep the amp-models turned off.

Also, a minor note is that i wouldnt be surprised if the white cover got dirty pretty easily.

I'll gladly, if im able to, answer any specific questions you have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I run a two 15 watt amp setup. I've got my TSA15H (w/ matching cab) setup beside my Egnater Tweaker (w/ Rebel cab). The Egnater is definitely quiter, but here's the thing: Neither are particularly loud, noise wise. I notice the hum when I turn on the TSA15H, but after that, it's a complete non-factor for me. I don't notice it at all after that. As others have said the low end and high end are really defined and prominent with bass and treble at 12 o'clock. I tend to turn both down to about 9 o'clock. Even still, it has very crisp high and boomy lows. I've run the TSA15H through my Egnater Rebel cab and the tone is MUCH better. Slightly less trebly highs and boomy lows. So I've got a question: Has anybody replaced the Celestion Seventy 80 with a higher end speaker? If so, how'd you do it? I unscrewed every screw on the front of the grillcloth, and I still couldn't get the grillcloth to come off. Also, from the back, there's no way to get the speaker out. It's gotta come from the front. Am I just an idiot that overlooked something, or has Ibanez made it so you can't switch speakers without tearing out the grillcloth?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I've got a question: Has anybody replaced the Celestion Seventy 80 with a higher end speaker? If so, how'd you do it? I unscrewed every screw on the front of the grillcloth, and I still couldn't get the grillcloth to come off. Also, from the back, there's no way to get the speaker out. It's gotta come from the front. Am I just an idiot that overlooked something, or has Ibanez made it so you can't switch speakers without tearing out the grillcloth?

Yes I've replaced mine. It comes out the back. Remove the metal grill and the 4 screws on the back pannel, and then you have to hit the panel from the inside. Take the power tubes out first because there's not a lot of space in there. 

I used a hammer-head inside a sock and tapped the corners from the inside. You might have to hit it harder than you'd like on such a beautiful amp. But as long as you're hitting it in the right places (the edges) it shouldn't damage it. I think some of the adhesive must have leaked into the dry joints, because it took quite a bit of force to get it off, but it came off clean and undamaged. 

I've actually left the pannel off mine to get an open back sound. But I've put the metal grill back on to protect the tubes. 

The only thing im missing is a proper FX-loop. From what I've read the loop in the TSA15 will let you put stuff after the tube screamer but before the actual amp. However since the amp takes alot of pushing before breaking up i guess this is not a big problem. Still would be nice with a true fx loop. With that said Im using mine together with a Zoom G3 in the loop and is very happy with it! Using effects and the looper(!!) from the G3, distortions, reverb, delay etc and keep the amp-models turned off.

I never knew this. This might actually benefit me.

I've got a Boss OD3 which I use a lot but it doesn't sound too great when I'm using the TS at the same time. So do you think it will work better in the loop so that the TS is boosting the OD3 and not the other way round? Also, what else would I be able to throw in the loop? Wah?

Please can someone answer ASAP. I've got a gig tonight and I wouldn't mind trying it if I knew it would work and not damage anything.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I know this thread is over a year old. But was the amp more noisy with the stock tubes. I'm only asking because I just bought a tsa15h on eBay and it does hum especially on the 5watt setting. If a set of jj's will get rid of or at least reduce it I'm all for it. I'd just like to know about the before and after.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived