What would your recommend for an amp around $300?

antics31

• Members

OK, so I don't have much cash to buy the best amp, I'm just looking for a good amp. I'm looking to spend about 300.00 dollars. Unfortunately, all I can do is watch youtube videos and read reviews. The musics stores by my house don't have the widest selection.

I currently own a Fender Frontman 25R. I hate it. The cleans setting sounds way to muddy; it does not sound like I am playing notes instead it sounds like I am playing mixtures of wave lengths.

I'm really looking for something with a nice clean setting. I also want something that is going to last for at least a year.

What would you recommend?

1. Crate FW65

2. Fender Frontman 212R

3. Line 6 Spider 4 75W

4 Marshall MG 30 CFX

Or Something else.

Thanks for any replies!

• Members
  • Members

I've bought and sold a lot of {censored} thru the years. The best bang for the buck, for me, was a Carvin Vintage 16 combo. $350. It was modded by the famed Carvin mod guy and had a Celst 70 ann speaker. The amp sound so sweet at low V, but it {censored}in cranks, if I want it to. It's a great throw under your arm go to open mic, which it's done many times. I never had a prob keeping up with that little thing. Check eBay for those

• Members

Well... if you don't like the Fender Frontman you have, why would consider buying another bigger one?

I'm not a Marshall or Line 6 fan so I don't feel qualified to comment on them.

For my money a Peavey Classic 30 or a Blues Jr would be a better choice and can often be found used for about $300. After having 2 Blues Jr's one MIM and the other USA, I think I'd go for the Classic 30.  

• Members

If you are looking at the Line 6 or Marshall, may I suggest the Fender Mustang III? It has very good reviews, even from tube/vintage snobs.

12 inch Celestion speaker, 100 watts (although, I say "real world" watts appears to be less than that, even though you won't need them) easy to use FX, tuner, a simple footswitch. It doesn't try to be a do-everything modeller like most, it's all Fender with some extra flare (like the Metal 2000 "Marshall"-style).

It's big enough for rehearsals and most gigs, but easy to carry around, fits in any car and small on stage. It's a really good bang for the buck...but I tell people you should like real Fender tones because that's what it does best. When/if you demo it, tap the reverb button and turn that down....lol.

Archived