I'm sick of my other guitarist's shitty tone....

kool98769

• Members

He runs a mexi strat with unpotted pickups into a fender cyber twin. I'm so sick of his tone. It sounds like asshole. Digital asshole. luckily yesterday his amp was feeding back so bad that he let me tweak settings. Now it sounds like a muddy rectifier....and that's about as good as it gets with single coils. His amp was still feeding back like a mother{censored}er, (thanks single coils!) so I was nice enough to lend him my iSP decimator. That fixed all the problems.

But how the {censored} am i going to make his amp sound any better? :confused:

I'm debating bringing up my traynor and convincing him to play through that, becuase atleast then it won't waste space in the mix.

I'm running out of options :(

Also: found out my RG550 in road flare red GLOWS under a blacklight. sick.

• Members

Maybe you don't know how to dial in single coils either. Just because they aren't potted doesn't mean you should be getting a lot of howling. Sounds like way too much gain. And those cyber twins when they are dialed in correctly can sound pretty darn good.

turning down the gain probably is the problem. but his pickups aren't of very high quality, they are true single coils, and not potted at all. it's like a bad combo for feedback.

I didn't put a TON of effort into it, but i tweaked for a good 10 minutes. We even swapped out the preamp tubes for a Ruby HG+ and a Tung Sol. When I played my RG through it, it sounded MUCH better.

I'm convinced something in his rig needs to change...

• Members

I know what you mean, dude. Several years ago I was in a band (downtuned metal) where the other guitar player was using a JCM 900 Dual Reverb. I was using a Dual Rectifier. He had his gain dimed, mids at maybe 2, treble cranked, etc. THEN he was boosting it with a Marshall Jackhammer pedal with the gain and level dimed. Sounded like dry ass. He kept complaining about not being able to hear himself. I offered to tweak his rig. I turned down the gain and treble, and turned up the mids. Took that goddamned Jackhammer pedal out, and replaced it with a simple Super Overdrive, gain at 0, level maybe at 60%. I also threw a 7-band eq in the effects loop, and tweaked the levels. That thing sounded GREAT after about 35 minutes or so of tweaking the levels on the pedals. He just shook his head and went back to what he was using originally. :facepalm: He kept complaining, but I never offered to help after that. He just refused to change his rig.

• Members
He runs a mexi strat with unpotted pickups into a fender cyber twin. I'm so sick of his tone. It sounds like asshole. Digital asshole. luckily yesterday his amp was feeding back so bad that he let me tweak settings. Now it sounds like a muddy rectifier....and that's about as good as it gets with single coils. His amp was still feeding back like a mother{censored}er, (thanks single coils!) so I was nice enough to lend him my iSP decimator. That fixed all the problems.

But how the {censored} am i going to make his amp sound any better?
:confused:
I'm debating bringing up my traynor and convincing him to play through that, becuase atleast then it won't waste space in the mix.

I'm running out of options
:(

Also: found out my RG550 in road flare red GLOWS under a blacklight. sick.

:D Full of win!

Throw that POS mex axe on the fire and get hime into a better gutar.

• Members

Depending on the setuo you have single coils can certainly suck. That said I play Metal with P90's most of the time and have used a Mexican Strat on occasion with decent results.

Some setups will turn the single coils into Icepicks but the Cybertwin should be pretty good with them though. Less gain, more mids. Depending on the music you want to play that may not work.

The Cybertwin may be a modeling amp, but the front end is analog. The entire amp reconfigures across a few boards. The effects including the EQ are digital but the Drive section is analog tube. It's not a buffer either its really a tube preamp. You should be able to make it sound damn good at reasonable volumes but at band levels the poweramp can be overwhelmed. This combined with weak pickups can certainly get harsh sounding.

Sometimes, A Strat just is not the right guitar.

• Members

Get a single-coil sized humbucker. You can get one at GFS for about $20 bucks and they're pretty decent.

Having said that, stock MIM pickups aren't that bad, I have played several MIM strats that sounded fine stock. Turn the gain and treble down and turn the mids way up. That will give him a heavier tone. Also he can wire one of his guitar's tone controls to the bridge and turn it down about 30%. That's a great trick to get fatter tone out of single coils.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

He needs to take out all of the effects and build a sound from the bottom up. Use Chorus and Delay and put some kind on distortion is front. Digital distortions sucks. Really the best set up for a strat is a tube amp with a tube screamer or fuzz face on top of the amps distortion.

• Members

Yo!

What an ugly spot to be in.

I searched for 30 years for an answer to my own sound.

I don't think I will ever reach the Holy Grail, but I did learn that my favorite local guitar players had some equipment in common, so I got some of the stuff that they were using.

I use a bunch of effects, but before I plug them in, I plug directly into my amp and set the tone for good sound at the volume I will play at.

This will max the pedals possibilities when you put them in the loop because with a bunch of pedals hooked up, you really can't tell how well the amp is balanced. 

I have a Boogie MKIII.

It has bass, mid, treble and a 5 band eq... lots of room for adjustment...

not to mention that a Boogie MKIII barks and bites... it somehow can cut through the air when it gets noisy.

At this point, I don't worry about guitar/pickups/amp/effects. It is all about getting the best sound with my rig at each jam. (Try what I suggested).

I learned that even if no equipment/furniture etc. has been moved in the area I regularly jam in, there is still the "X" factor of one out of 10 or 20 jams will, by far sound the best!

Who knows why.

• Members

It's frustrating to have a band member not be a "tone whore" like most of us are.  Some guitar players don't care how they sound, even if everyone thinks they sound terrible.  I'm in that same position.  My rhythm guitarist has a Triple Rec through a Gflex cab, and it SHOULD sound pretty god damn good, but the way he dials it in is a complete trainwreck.  Bass and Treble dimed, zero mids, healthy amount of gain, but sounds like it's choked off to the point that the gain seems at 1.  I have claimed for YEARS that there is something not right with the way his amp is operating and he needs to get it checked out.  I've even offered to go amp shopping with him and have him demo other amps within the range of the trade in value of his Triple.  No interest.  Also his playing style is more akin to acoustic guitar than electric guitar - basically just strums the strings without putting any articulation on any notes, so that will affect sound a great deal.  I try to not give him too much grief on that aspect because I play the acoustic like an electric (and I think I sound pretty bad on an acoustic).  

An example (he starts the song - remember gain is about 2 o'clock on Ch3, modern mode):

• Members

hecticone wrote:

Maybe you don't know how to dial in single coils either. Just because they aren't potted doesn't mean you should be getting a lot of howling. Sounds like way too much gain. And those cyber twins when they are dialed in correctly can sound pretty darn good.

And those cyber twins when they are dialed in correctly can sound pretty darn good.

Yup. As much as I hate to admit it, they do. The most expensive modle amp ever

Archived