Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue SCARY BUZZING

markpaterson

• Members

Greetings!

It's been a while since I had the need to post.

This is a brand new amp, purchased November 2012 from Guitar Center. It was not a floor model, it came brand new in a box.

Lately, about 30 seconds after you power it on, I'm getting a strange buzzing sound that gets higher and higher in pitch and then fades out. This is with or without a guitar plugged into it.

I know this isn't supposed to happen as I've owned this model of amp previously with no such problem. Any idea what it could be? Maybe a tube needs replacing? If so which one?

I've uploaded a video of the problem to youtube, skip to 34 seconds if you don't want to wait for it to appear in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-VXErfFA0&

As you can see, turning the knobs has no effect on the buzzing. Also you'll see that after i switch it off, and then back on, it makes even weirder sounds.

• Members

Sounds like it might be a tube - try looking at them when you turn it on - see if one of them looks weird warming up - although that wouldn't necessarily mean anything, it might be a place to start.

When you turn it on and off, after it's warmed up, the sound is different, so it makes me think it could be a tube. Just a guess, though. Try tapping lightly on each tube with a pencil when the amp is on - usually what you do when you are looking for a microphonic tube, which that noise doesn't sound like, but maybe it'll give a clue.

• Members

markpaterson wrote:

This is a brand new amp, purchased November 2012 from Guitar Center. It was not a floor model, it came brand new in a box.

Your guarantee is still valid, bring it back for repair instead of searching for the internet doctor.

(Most probably a microphonic tube in the tremolo section IMHO)

Archived