Good 1x12 combo for country?

J Werner

• Members

Finally started a country band with a friend of mine. Definitely going to be some rocking, but for the most part I'll be going for the country tone. Lucinda Williams and early Neko Case is a good reference point. I've got a tele copy with a '62 custom single coil in the bridge, and I've got reverb, trem, and echo covered.

Just need a good 1x12 combo--unless you guys feel like my Hot Rod DeVille can do the trick. Thoughts? Prefer to buy used and somewhere in the $300-$350 range would be awesome.

• Members

I would think your existing amp should be fine, especially since you've already got the trem and reverb covered. Fender invented country music*. :cathappy: The only tube amps in your price range are going to be Peavey Classic 30 or a Crate V30 or whatever it's called, or a Bugera. I would suggest a tweed-type amp if you're more into "rootsy" country, but that's probably out of your price range. There are some pedals that deliver tweed style breakup if that's what you're going for. 

If you're open to playing through an SS amp you'll have lots of choices. :cathappy: 

*OK, Leo Fender didn't exactly 'invent' country music, but his pickups and amps are an integral part of the SOUND of country music. 

• Members

J Werner wrote:

Finally started a country band with a friend of mine. Definitely going to be some rocking, but for the most part I'll be going for the country tone. Lucinda Williams and early Neko Case is a good reference point. I've got a tele copy with a '62 custom single coil in the bridge, and I've got reverb, trem, and echo covered.

Just need a good 1x12 combo--unless you guys feel like my Hot Rod DeVille can do the trick. Thoughts? Prefer to buy used and somewhere in the $300-$350 range would be awesome.

It will work , but you will have to be very aware that its going to be really easy to be too loud.   The amp of choice these days seems to be the hot rod deluxe.   bout 700 buck or so.   

• Members

J Werner wrote:

Vox AD60VTX is awesome for country. Its 2 best models are the AC15/30 and Twin Reverb, two great starting points for newer country guitar. Plus you have useful available reverb, delay, and compression and dirt pedals onboard. All useful effects for country.

Archived