Looking for a new amp

The EAKLE

• Members

Up until now i've been making do with bass amps, and i'd like to get a true guitar amp before i go to school. 

I've got an Ibanez AF75, id prefer a clean sound, and i'll go as far as $300-$350 on it.

It doesn't have to be huge, seeing as it'll be used in a dorm mostly, but i'd like it to be handle small open mic-type events. I'm thinking a 1x10 or 1x12 should work.

So far i've looked a bit into Fender Mustangs. There are 40 and 100W versions that seem pretty good.

40W 1x12 for $200

100W 1x12 $330

I was told to check out these Peavey Vypyrs, pretty much same specs in the same 

30W 1x12 for $200

100W 1x12 for $300

And then this one caught my eye, but the small size made me weary of it. I originally was looking that the acoustic modeling version, because i want to put electrics in my GS Mini, but then i saw there's a regular modeling version too.

Regular

Acoustic Modeling

So, opinions on those amps for my guitar? Thoughts on the modeling abilities of the different brands? Is a 100W 1x12 too much for a 'dorm' amp? It'll be at a music school. Any others models i should check? I browsed the Orange selection a bit.

Something that caught my eye is that the 100W Vypyr has models for bass and acoustic too, so in theory would it be a good amp for my various instruments?

• Members

I'd go with something different personally...

Marshall Class 5, Vox AC4TV, Blackstar HT-1,...

They won't cut it in a live/rehearsel situation though, so if that's a thing.

For something that doesn't sound choked/lame at home and will do fine with a drummer and other guitarists: Vox AC15C2, orange terror series, egnater tweaker, blackstar artisan 15,...

Just of the top of my head, based on volume/power and versatility.

• Members

weaselphartz wrote:

Mustangs and Vypyrs ? Been there and done that  The concept sounded good but the amps didn't.

I would recommend you look at the Roland Cubes - way better amps.

The Mustangs have very good reviews, generally. Even among tube/vintage snobs.

Elaborate?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like egnater tweaker combo 15 watt combo amp. Tube sound is superb over solid state amps. Also have a mustang. Light weight with a lot of amp modeling which helps for recording layered tracks and playing different styles of music with custom presets etc. good for open mic performances, but not live play really. I play simultaneously through a bass amp and the tweaker combo to get a nice full sound. Maybe keep ur bass and get a nice tubed combo amp play through them simultaneously with an abY pedal

Archived