Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups did Accept use??

I'm guessing they used Marshalls and I know they used Flying Vs...but what pickups were in those suckers to give that crushing tone heard on Balls to the Wall??

That's just great tone right there...
    I defy you to get a convincing death or black metal vocal down perfectly in one week if you think its so easy. It will never happen because you lack the years of practice needed to aquire such a skill. - DaevasAsmodeus

"Ed Roman should have a car alarm shoved up his ass." - Bikehorn

LOL! I've been playing the **************** out of that and Restless and Wild. I get a very good tone with my Jackson DK2 - stock pickups - the HB102B is a 'Duncan Designed' JB. The amp I'm using is a 1987 Marshall Micro Stack - that's it. I'm thinking a Super Distortion would work pretty good as well.

Comment

That is some awesome tone!
      Scott

To speak with,

Peter Diezel
      Jorg Bogner amps
      John Suhr
      Dave Friedman Racksystems LTD
      Bruce Egnater
      Gutierrez Guitars
      Ed Degenaro THD Amps
      Trace VooDoo Amps
      Mike Fortin from Fortin Amps

Go to www.rig-talk.com

Never heard you play.....don't care about your review.

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

But the bottomline is the same, crap player and 5000$ amp is no different than an ugly chick spending a ton on make-up. It ain't going to be pretty.

Comment

Most of the tone I'm sure is coming from the Marshalls...but George and Warren's tone were never as thick.

I mean the intro riff from Balls to the Wall is just crushing....one of the best riffs ever IMO.

I'm going to *guess* Super Distortions...but I have no idea.
        I defy you to get a convincing death or black metal vocal down perfectly in one week if you think its so easy. It will never happen because you lack the years of practice needed to aquire such a skill. - DaevasAsmodeus

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
          Most of the tone I'm sure is coming from the Marshalls...but George and Warren's tone were never as thick.

I mean the intro riff from Balls to the Wall is just crushing....one of the best riffs ever IMO.

I'm going to *guess* Super Distortions...but I have no idea.

Who the hell is Warren and who is George? Do you mean Wolf Hoffman? My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.
          Gibson LP Standard, Flying V, Goth II SG w/ EMG 81/85, SG Special, SG Classic w/P-90s, SG Voodoo, SG Special Platinum w/ Lace Arena Pup Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ SD JB/Jazz, SG in walnut w/ Alumitones,
          Peavey Bravo Head, XXX
          Carvin MTS-3200, V3, V3M
          RedStar Audio Blackjack 2x12 cabs
          Mesa & Madison cabs

Comment

Originally posted by Acid Test

Who the hell is Warren and who is George? Do you mean Wolf Hoffman? My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.

Warren Dimartini and George Lynch....I was saying that even though they used Marshalls too...their tone was never as thick as the rhythm stuff in Accept.

Was the 500T around back in the 80s??

Comment

Looks like stock pick-ups on the neck but not sure on the bridge.

http://www.acceptarchive.com/gallery/pages/pic-235.htm

http://www.acceptarchive.com/gallery/pages/wpc-2.htm
              Gibson LP Standard, Flying V, Goth II SG w/ EMG 81/85, SG Special, SG Classic w/P-90s, SG Voodoo, SG Special Platinum w/ Lace Arena Pup Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ SD JB/Jazz, SG in walnut w/ Alumitones,
              Peavey Bravo Head, XXX
              Carvin MTS-3200, V3, V3M
              RedStar Audio Blackjack 2x12 cabs
              Mesa & Madison cabs

Comment

On that album I am pretty sure they switched to EMG's.....on Restless and Wild the tone was alot different while on BTTW and MH the tone was pretty similar.....I saw teh MH tour and Wolf was playing a strat with EMGS for most of the show...I was really close and he had a great sound coming off teh stage!

George
                My Bands

www.myspace.com/georgeheadmusic

Judas Rising Judas Priest tribute band

Jaded Modern Rock cover band

Guitar Ranch My store......carrying FRYETTE and WIZARD amps along with lots of other cool stuff.....

Comment

Funny you should ask... Mighael Wagener (one of the original guitarists/producers) from Accept and superb producer all around (Ozzy, Metallica, Skid Row, Crue, Dokken, Stryper, White Lion, Megadeth, Kings-X, Saigon Kick, Warrant, Testament, , etc.) is an aquaintence and client of mine. I am actually going out to his studio tonight to deliver a new Nuendo rig I built for him.

I just e-mailed him with these questions. Maybe he will pop in... but if not, I will pass on whatever his answers are. He is super, super nice guy and if he is not too busy I am sure he will pass on some info....

p.s. I agree... DEFINITELY great tone!! Right up there on my list of some of the greatest rock guitar tones of all time.
                  Steve Lamm
                  Cryptic Globe Recording
                  Nashville Club Cubase/Nuendo Host
                  www.clubcubasenashville.com
                  www.crypticglobe.com
                  www.cgrnashville.com

Comment

Originally posted by Acid Test
                    My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.

LOL! The 496R/500T came out way after these albums.

I think EMG's might be right for Balls to the Wall, but Restless and Wild works very good with passive high output pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Greazygeo
                      On that album I am pretty sure they switched to EMG's.....on Restless and Wild the tone was alot different while on BTTW and MH the tone was pretty similar.....I saw teh MH tour and Wolf was playing a strat with EMGS for most of the show...I was really close and he had a great sound coming off teh stage!

George

I'm not doubting you.......but they just don't sound like EMGs to me....well 81s anyway....it's awful thick.

Like I said though, I could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by crypticglobe
                        Funny you should ask... Mighael Wagener (one of the original guitarists/producers) from Accept and superb producer all around (Ozzy, Metallica, Skid Row, Crue, Dokken, Stryper, White Lion, Megadeth, Kings-X, Saigon Kick, Warrant, Testament, , etc.) is an aquaintence and client of mine. I am actually going out to his studio tonight to deliver a new Nuendo rig I built for him.

I just e-mailed him with these questions. Maybe he will pop in... but if not, I will pass on whatever his answers are. He is super, super nice guy and if he is not too busy I am sure he will pass on some info....

p.s. I agree... DEFINITELY great tone!! Right up there on my list of some of the greatest rock guitar tones of all time.

Wow!! Now that's service

Thanks for asking him...I'm just curious...those guys get mad props. I always hear alot of other people mentioned when tone is being discussed....but as far as MY tastes go these guys are damn near the top of my list for that whole decade.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by crypticglobe

Tell him we love those videos LOL! I think BTTW and the Scorp's Love at First Sting were the 2nd and 3rd heavy metal albums I ever purchased - #1 was Number of the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli

I'm not doubting you.......but they just don't sound like EMGs to me....well 81s anyway....it's awful thick.

Like I said though, I could be wrong

It's thick, but that 'edge' is hard to get without an EMG. I have some EMG loaded axes - I'll try it tonight through my DSL100.

Comment

wolf used EMG pickups i think from metal heart and after.as for the guitar,he used his white strat for 90% of his recordings and not his flying v.
                              i love his tone and playing
                              esp custom shop
                              g&l legacy
                              ibanez rg550
                              epiphone les-paul
                              engl thunder combo

Comment

Working...
                              X