What pickups did Accept use??

ranalli

• Members

LOL! I've been playing the {censored} out of that and Restless and Wild. I get a very good tone with my Jackson DK2 - stock pickups - the HB102B is a 'Duncan Designed' JB. The amp I'm using is a 1987 Marshall Micro Stack - that's it. I'm thinking a Super Distortion would work pretty good as well.

• Members

Most of the tone I'm sure is coming from the Marshalls...but George and Warren's tone were never as thick.

I mean the intro riff from Balls to the Wall is just crushing....one of the best riffs ever IMO.

I'm going to *guess* Super Distortions...but I have no idea.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Most of the tone I'm sure is coming from the Marshalls...but George and Warren's tone were never as thick.

I mean the intro riff from Balls to the Wall is just crushing....one of the best riffs ever IMO.

I'm going to *guess* Super Distortions...but I have no idea.

Who the hell is Warren and who is George? Do you mean Wolf Hoffman? My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

Who the hell is Warren and who is George? Do you mean Wolf Hoffman? My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.

Warren Dimartini and George Lynch....I was saying that even though they used Marshalls too...their tone was never as thick as the rhythm stuff in Accept.

Was the 500T around back in the 80s??

• Members

On that album I am pretty sure they switched to EMG's.....on Restless and Wild the tone was alot different while on BTTW and MH the tone was pretty similar.....I saw teh MH tour and Wolf was playing a strat with EMGS for most of the show...I was really close and he had a great sound coming off teh stage!

George

• Members

Funny you should ask... Mighael Wagener (one of the original guitarists/producers) from Accept and superb producer all around (Ozzy, Metallica, Skid Row, Crue, Dokken, Stryper, White Lion, Megadeth, Kings-X, Saigon Kick, Warrant, Testament, , etc.) is an aquaintence and client of mine. I am actually going out to his studio tonight to deliver a new Nuendo rig I built for him.

I just e-mailed him with these questions. Maybe he will pop in... but if not, I will pass on whatever his answers are. :) He is super, super nice guy and if he is not too busy I am sure he will pass on some info.... :)

p.s. I agree... DEFINITELY great tone!! Right up there on my list of some of the greatest rock guitar tones of all time.

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

My guess is he is using the standard 500/496 stock pick-ups.

LOL! The 496R/500T came out way after these albums.

I think EMG's might be right for Balls to the Wall, but Restless and Wild works very good with passive high output pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by Greazygeo

On that album I am pretty sure they switched to EMG's.....on Restless and Wild the tone was alot different while on BTTW and MH the tone was pretty similar.....I saw teh MH tour and Wolf was playing a strat with EMGS for most of the show...I was really close and he had a great sound coming off teh stage!

George

I'm not doubting you....:)...but they just don't sound like EMGs to me....well 81s anyway....it's awful thick.

Like I said though, I could be wrong:)

• Members

Originally posted by crypticglobe

Funny you should ask... Mighael Wagener (one of the original guitarists/producers) from Accept and superb producer all around (Ozzy, Metallica, Skid Row, Crue, Dokken, Stryper, White Lion, Megadeth, Kings-X, Saigon Kick, Warrant, Testament, , etc.) is an aquaintence and client of mine. I am actually going out to his studio tonight to deliver a new Nuendo rig I built for him.

I just e-mailed him with these questions. Maybe he will pop in... but if not, I will pass on whatever his answers are.
:)
He is super, super nice guy and if he is not too busy I am sure he will pass on some info....

p.s. I agree... DEFINITELY great tone!! Right up there on my list of some of the greatest rock guitar tones of all time.

Wow!! Now that's service:D

Thanks for asking him...I'm just curious...those guys get mad props. I always hear alot of other people mentioned when tone is being discussed....but as far as MY tastes go these guys are damn near the top of my list for that whole decade.

• Members

Originally posted by crypticglobe

I just e-mailed him with these questions. Maybe he will pop in... but if not, I will pass on whatever his answers are.
He is super, super nice guy and if he is not too busy I am sure he will pass on some info....

Tell him we love those videos LOL! I think BTTW and the Scorp's Love at First Sting were the 2nd and 3rd heavy metal albums I ever purchased - #1 was Number of the Beast.

• Members

I'm not doubting you....
...but they just don't sound like EMGs to me....well 81s anyway....it's awful thick.

It's thick, but that 'edge' is hard to get without an EMG. I have some EMG loaded axes - I'll try it tonight through my DSL100.

• Members

I'm not doubting you....
...but they just don't sound like EMGs to me....well 81s anyway....it's awful thick.

I like the BTTW and MH tones ALOT....I wouldnt like it for my sound ( abit too loose / squishy), but it works great for them. I think the early stuff was just a marshall and Dist + w/ passives....there is a BIG change from Restless and Wild to Balls....I played a scalloped neck Flying V for alot of years because of that video! :thu:

I was thinking back then there only was 81's....there could have been others though

• Members

Originally posted by Tedddy

Accept's lead singer was a cretin!

Udo??

Yeah...I guess he kinda was...lol...

It's great though...because you got these tall and lean guys playing guitars...then this really short creepy guy comes out with a voice like Bon Scott crossed with the Grim Reaper......classic stuff.

But it was really cool though because he kind of spit in the face of the pretty front-man image.....he was unlike almost all the usual cliches you see.

• Members

I don't really know about the pups, but why are you guys talking about them like they were in the past? They weren't last summer when I was at their gig! Damn it was good, one of the best ones I've ever witnessed. And Udo! Damn his voice sounds horrible on their ballads, but otherwise I wouldn't have any other!

• Members

on the back of the 1981 Breaker album, one of the V's has what appears to be a white Bill Lawrence in the bridge. and all the other pups in both guitars appear to have blade screwdriver adjustable pole pieces on one row of the buckers just like duncans, but there is no writing on the pups.

don't know if gibson pups had adjustible poles?????

Archived