VHT 2/50/2

Zhorellski

• Members

Zhorellski wrote:

Couple of novice questions regarding VHT 2/50/2poweramp;

-Safe to use mix tubes 6L6/EL34? - No

-Does it come with bias pot? - yes, one for each pair of tubes

-How does it sound low volume (condo) will it loose low end? - Great at low volume, does not lose lows in my experience.  I use mine a couple times a week.

-Will 6v6 tubes work? - don't know

The inability to switch power tubes has something to do with the circuit, per Steve Fryette.  He answered in a forum post a few years ago, not sure which forum.  The sweep on the bias pot doesn't go low enough to accomodate 6L6's.  Bob at Eurotubes disagrees.  He says he can provide a set of 6L6 tubes that will work fine, but I haven't tried it.

• Members

This amplifier will not accept 6V6s.

You can install 6L6s with a bias circuit mod, but like all tube amps, only one type will provide the correct impedance match for the output transformer. Since that relationship determines dynamic range and power output, only EL34s will produce full power. Eurotubes may represent that modding the bias makes everything compatible. Not so. That only adjusts the idle current, not impedance.

For more info see: http://fryetteamps.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/power-tube-switching/ 

• Members

Yep, and its a beast.

This poweramp is so good I cant picture myself using anyrhing else for a power section.

This truly is a piece of gear i will never sell. My whole sound and rig builds around this thing.

Reliable, powerful, super flexible and it sounds absolutely beautiful at any volume level.

• 3 months later...

Archived