Did Eddie Van Halen really use 5150's?

butterguitar

• Members

Over the past month or so, I have been really creaming over EVH's tone on Balance, I keep thinking, that cannot be a 5150 amp, it sounds way too smooth. To my ears anyway, it sounds like he was still using the SLO, much like on the F.U.C.K album. However, he endoursed the amp at the time, he has fullstacks of the 5150 amp and cab on stage, you'd think he would use them. But the sound live, and on the album does not sound anything like a 5150 {IMO}

Now obviously for Van Halen III, the tour with Sammy Hagar in 2004, and the present tour, his tone sounds more like a buzzsaw, similar to the 5150 lol. Maybe now he uses his 5153 (5150) amps exclusively.

I hate false advertisement.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know that he ever used the stock 5150 heads. The ones he used were alot closer to the 5150 combo's which sound significantly different. AFAIK anyway.

No actual idea on what he used on that album, I always thought it sounded pretty processed.

• Members

I don't know that he ever used the stock 5150 heads. The ones he used were alot closer to the 5150 combo's which sound significantly different. AFAIK anyway.

No actual idea on what he used on that album, I always thought it sounded pretty processed.

This I heard that what was miked on those tours were the combos.

Archived