Pawnstars Mary Ford/Les Paul-SG for $250K.

charveldan

• Members

I wonder if the guy actually sold it to the pawn shop. I wouldn't put it past them to fake the sale on tv to get free national advertising for it, and in return for doing that Rick would take a cut of the sale.

No, sane people that know the value of their stuff fly across country to get screwed all the time man. Except for when their asked to do it and get a serious pay check out of it and a nice vacation in Las Vegas for free. Of coarse something is up its tv, wow. :facepalm:

• Members

Fake show is fake.

I'm amazed they don't have to show a disclaimer or something to avoid charges of fraud.

It's one thing to do a reality show that's really "improvisational theater" for entertainment....but the minute you start selling stuff to the public that's on the show, it becomes a commercial and false advertising laws should come into play.

I know for a fact that they often will have a fake actor bring in a guitar from another store and a fake expert will "discover" problems with the sale or "discover" the fantastic treasure before them and that it's all staged.

There's a thread about a "50's Les Paul" episode where the "expert" points out that it's a Norlin Les Paul. The guy bringing it in AND the expert both work for Cowtown guitars. One is a tech and the other an employee. The exact same guitar is listed on their website for sale as a 70's Les Paul.

Another episode shows some vinatge Coke machine that's "restored" but in reality it's an entirely different machine and both are property of the restoration place.

What a scam. This show is a commercial for a working place of buisiness and fraud is being committed on the public in how it represents itself.

• Members

LOL @ suing a TV show for fraud. I couldn't care less if it's fake. I still enjoy watching it.

Exactly. Stupid people already have the market cornered on frivolous lawsuits. They don't need another one.

The show is on the History Channel for a reason. It's a vehicle to present historical factoids and such. A brilliant idea, really. Rick and his crew/business hit the jackpot when the show's producers picked them to be the focal point.

And the new hire, Olivia, is HOT! I'm even more interested in watching the show now.

• Members

My point is that there's a fine line you cross from it being "entertainment" to being a "commercial" when you offer a product from a staged event for sale to the general public based on false pretenses.

If, taking the above example, no $80,000 changed hands between the pawn shop and the guy who brought it in, that creates a false perception of collector value to the general public.

Staging "experts" who really aren't "experts" but just actors evaluating merchandise is basically fraud.

This doesn't just depend on whether the item is sold or even for sale. If I own a piece of art and have a show where I stage a fake expert valuing it highly, I profit just by owning the piece whether it's sold immediately or not.

Also showing fake restorations is commercial fraud benefitting the restoration place.

Maybe the laws regarding commecial fraud only apply to airwaves and not paid cable.

Or maybe a class action lawsuit subpoena might show up at that store some day....

• Members

If, taking the above example, no $80,000 changed hands between the pawn shop and the guy who brought it in, that creates a false perception of collector value to the general public.

They spent some money to acquire that guitar. No one just gave it to them. And the amount portrayed as paid seems reasonable; it's not like they claim to have paid 10 million dollars for it.

Have you read the fine print in the show's credits, assuming there is some? I haven't, but if there's verbiage stating that elements of the show are fake or staged, all a class action lawsuit is gonna do is make the producers present the disclaimer more prominently.

Ultimately, you're reading too much into it.

Archived