SS Posse!

Shask

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm always on here wave.gif

I got a Mesa Triple Recto Blackface a few months ago. That thing is pretty evil. Tight and huge. Definitely a good Recto.

Also, I have a JCM800 2203 clone I built a year or 2 ago. Anyways, I decided to ditch the other inputs and wire in another tube stage a few weeks ago. It is a little hissy now, but it easily has the gain of a 5150. It does awesome older Fear Factory tones, and can even get an Appetite for Destruction type tone with fatter pickups.

Ive been playing those 2 amps mostly lately. Of course, I still have the other amps in my sig also.

• Members

NAD!!! Okay, it was Saturday but......Marshall 5212. '86 or '87ish, loud as hekk, nice dirt and clean channels. Anyone have experience w/ these?

Marshall5212.jpg

M5212.jpg

Sounds good with pedals, even a Mocro Amp booster! Nice FX loop......a hair on the trebly side, but haven't had a lot of time to tweak....

Thanks for looking!

• Members

Meh, mine's already HSS. thumb.gif

Oh, did I mention I "fixed" my maiden strat with a new body and a Musikraft neck:
nDSCF0077.jpg
nDSCF0079.jpg

That's body and neck #3 in the project, but should be the last. icon_lol.gif and I ditched the GFS single coils for a pair of Dimarzio Virtual Solos.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jams View Post
Oh yeah, should have read the sig idea.gif

Had a SLP modded by Mike Fortin, pure hotrod marshall that is silly quiet due to the dc heaters and a ton of tone options. Love it.

I want a recto someday just because smile.gif
I need to play with the hiss. It was fine before I cranked the gain way up.

I got rid of all the tone options to have 1 bad-ass tone Totally_jammin_out.gif I not a huge fan of a million options.

I have thought about getting a Recto for a long time, but always had a hate/love thing with them. Many of them sound horrible to me, but the one I got it awesome. I almost cant make it sound mushy and saggy!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by richey888 View Post
NAD!!! Okay, it was Saturday but......Marshall 5212. '86 or '87ish, loud as hekk, nice dirt and clean channels. Anyone have experience w/ these?

Marshall5212.jpg

M5212.jpg

Sounds good with pedals, even a Mocro Amp booster! Nice FX loop......a hair on the trebly side, but haven't had a lot of time to tweak....

Thanks for looking!
Ive never heard of those.

Sounds good if you like it though thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
Yay, we're back! icon_lol.gif

Picked this up for my jam buddy locally:

6505+ for $500 off CL.

It's mine until he gets a cab, and some tubes for it. Oh, and he has to pay me for it. icon_lol.gif
So how do you like that 5150 II?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shask View Post
So how do you like that 5150 II?
It's pretty cool. A-Bing it against my rig I don't really want to keep it though. It'll sound sweet if/when we get a band going and both rigs are going at once.

He should be picking up an Avatar Vintage 2-12 with Celestion G12K-100s for it. Oh, and some tubes.

• Members

It's not different enough. icon_lol.gif The Laney by itself is very different, but the way I have it tweaked it's just as heavy/thick, but tighter.

The 6505+ might have a bit more lows than my current "sound", but that's okay.

I want to try to tweak the RP1000's 5150II model to sound as close as possible to the real thing while I have it, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shask View Post
Yeah, you would probably need something dark to really have a huge difference. You need a Recto biggrin.gif

Does the model sound kinda close going into the Laney power amp?
The real amp is a lot thicker, but I need to mess with the setting on the RP. I don't think it'll ever sound the same, but having something closer would be cool. Also the Laney has KT77s vs the 6505's 6L6s, so there's that difference. icon_lol.gif

Not really feeling the Recto. icon_lol.gif

I'd love to try out an Engl Fireball, but I can't justify spending the $$$.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
The real amp is a lot thicker, but I need to mess with the setting on the RP. I don't think it'll ever sound the same, but having something closer would be cool. Also the Laney has KT77s vs the 6505's 6L6s, so there's that difference. icon_lol.gif

Not really feeling the Recto. icon_lol.gif

I'd love to try out an Engl Fireball, but I can't justify spending the $$$.
I think Rectos vary a lot. Some of them sound like a big fuzzy sponge, while others are completely evil sounding.

The one I have is pretty evil. For example, I know you are big into Testament, I can get that heavy "Low" tone easy with no boost, or any other gear.

Id like to try an Engl period, but I dont know if they would be my thing or not.

Archived