The Official "Randall Army" sign up thread!

-Juggernaut-

• Members

I'm a HUGE fan of Randall amps, always have been, be it S.S. or Tube they are GREAT amps.....

Post pics, list, thoughts, etc....

Join up!!!!

Previous Amps:

1. 6 - Rg100HT
2. 2 - C-200II
3. 4 - Rg100ES
4. 1 - Warhead
5. 4 - RGP1000 preamps
6. 1 - RG80ES
7. 1 - Warhead
8. 2 - Randall RM100
Modules: SL+, Modern, Clean, 1086, XTC, KH1, KH2, KH3, Grail, Treadplate, Top Boost
9. 2 - RG200ES
10. 2 -Lynch Box

The RM was my venture back into Randall after selling off all my Randall gear and wondering over to Mesa Boogie (which I still love). But I always go back to Randall, So Here's to getting back into it.....Got a list of amps I want to get back.

Future Randall Purchases:

1. RG100HT
2. RG100ES
3. X2

O.k. lets hear your stories of Randall amps!

Put it in your sig!!!! wear it proudly.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, it's insane how some of you guys here go through amps. One week Mesa, one week Marshall, one week Randall, one week Peavey...

I started using 1980's Randall RG series amps about three years ago and haven't looked back since. I've dabbled a bit, but Randall is my tone. I'm pretty content with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
Man, it's insane how some of you guys here go through amps. One week Mesa, one week Marshall, one week Randall, one week Peavey...

I started using 1980's Randall RG series amps about three years ago and haven't looked back since. I've dabbled a bit, but Randall is my tone. I'm pretty content with it.

biggrin.gif I've been playing Randall for roughly 20+ years, and in the last year I got on a BAD Mesa kick, and ended up getting rid of all my Randall gear. Oh Well, I'm back!

I have always Loved the Randall stuff, But needed a change and was finally able to pick-up the Mesa gear, and really loved it especially the Mark IV, but alas I sold it to get my Custom Shop Gutierrez, I will have another one, and I traded my Mark III for the RM100, and I'm all into the Randall gear again. biggrin.gif

• Members

I currently own...

Warhead
Cyclone
RG-80es

Have owned....
RM-100
RH-200

The RH-200 was horrible, but all the others kicked but. The MTS stuff is pretty nice too, but if I were to go the all tube route I would go with mesa or marshall stuff in a heart beat, the randall tone to me will always be their solid state stuff. I think their s.s. sound better than their MTS stuff in my opinion.

I think the RG-80es has become my GO TO amp lately, its got such a sweet thrash tone, its got the mids of a marshall with the smoothness of a mesa.

And I use my warhead for that huge chunk sound for "justice" tones, death metal tones and of course pantera tones. I think the warhead is one of the meanest amps out there once you boost it.

The cyclone is similar to the warhead except its a bit thinner sounding in the mids, it has less warmth to it and overall sounds more s.s. than the warhead. I currently have the cyclone dialed in with alot of upper mid bite for a really aggressive reign in blood tone, and its working really great for that. Its actually the closet I have ever gotten to the reign in blood tone with any amp I have owned.

Sign me up for the randall fan boy clubthumb.gif
( although my next amp will be a mesatongue.gif )

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BOOGIE666 View Post
I currently own...

Warhead
Cyclone
RG-80es

Have owned....
RM-100
RH-200

The RH-200 was horrible, but all the others kicked but. The MTS stuff is pretty nice too, but if I were to go the all tube route I would go with mesa or marshall stuff in a heart beat, the randall tone to me will always be their solid state stuff. I think their s.s. sound better than their MTS stuff in my opinion.

I think the RG-80es has become my GO TO amp lately, its got such a sweet thrash tone, its got the mids of a marshall with the smoothness of a mesa.

And I use my warhead for that huge chunk sound for "justice" tones, death metal tones and of course pantera tones. I think the warhead is one of the meanest amps out there once you boost it.

The cyclone is similar to the warhead except its a bit thinner sounding in the mids, it has less warmth to it and overall sounds more s.s. than the warhead. I currently have the cyclone dialed in with alot of upper mid bite for a really aggressive reign in blood tone, and its working really great for that. Its actually the closet I have ever gotten to the reign in blood tone with any amp I have owned.

Sign me up for the randall fan boy clubthumb.gif
( although my next amp will be a mesatongue.gif )
I remember the Warhead getting such a bad rap when they were first released to the public (much like Krank). I heard Dimebag apparently rarely used the amp too, and just used his old Randall rg100ht rack setup most of the time. confused.gif

I've tried a cyclone though, sounded pretty good to me.

If i ever buy a Warhead, it'll be the X2 version. I hear they're a bit different than the older ones. Most people prefer them.

• Members
Have you ever owned a Century 200, Juggernaut? Not the 200II, the original? I keep hearing they're alot better than than the 200II. Wonder if there is any truth to that?

No but I've played through one, and I couldnt tell the difference. according to the rep at the time they switched designs said that only the difference besides layout of the eq was fixing some problems with the power section, supposedly the 200s were really unreliable.

alot of the Dimebag freaks will tell you the II doesnt sound anything like the original, but I've played them side by side and can tell you with all honestly, I think they sound exactly the same.

• Members
I remember the Warhead getting such a bad rap when they were first released to the public (much like Krank). I heard Dimebag apparently rarely used the amp too, and just used his old Randall rg100ht rack setup most of the time. confused.gif

I've tried a cyclone though, sounded pretty good to me.

If i ever buy a Warhead, it'll be the X2 version. I hear they're a bit different than the older ones. Most people prefer them.
The second version of the warhead ( not the X2 ) is the same amp as the cyclone. The orginal wahead ( has the powerswitch on the back ) has a much warmer, more feel, and more tube like sound than the cyclone and warhead version 2. The orginal warhead kinda sounds like a heavier version of the RG stuff.

• Members

KICK-ASS!!!!! It's about time!!

Proud owner of the Randall T2 300-watt head--i love it to death, it's awesome!!
I run it through a Marshall 1960A slant cab loaded w/ 80-watt Celestions--it does the job!!!thumb.gif

BTW: I used to have a Randall rack-mount RG100 head and slanted, carpeted 4x12 cab loadedw/ Jaguars, plus a Randall RGT100 tube combo amp

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by -Juggernaut- View Post
cool set-up, what modules are you using? power tubes?
I sold that RM-100 for a song, I sat on ebay and it sat on two forums for like a month. I needed cash bad for my wedding, as I got married last month. The RM-100 is a pretty cool amp, its just too damn heavy for it to be practical for taking it to gigs or practices.

I used it with SED EL-34's and I had Ultra, Ultra lead, Recto, and modded SL+ for super tight low end and JCM-800 tone stack mod. The ultra lead was easily my favorite sounded alot like a mark IV, it was KILLER for lamb of god cover tunes, it was just great for anything thrash or lead work.

Althought the amp was pretty killer I didnt feel it was any more versatile than a 3 channel dual recto, all the modules had kind of a similar vibe to them, like they had a different eq but the gain structure was pretty much the same in all modules. It also was a very dark amp, easy to eq and took to boost pedals very well. The only module that didnt take well to a boost that I had was the Ultra, but that was also the only module that had enof gain and sustain that it didnt need a boost.

Archived