My first high gain amp?

thom

• Members

Those of you who know me from my countless 'which amp' threads: I'm constantly buying and selling guitars and amps, I'd too indecisive and poor to either stick with one amp or to buy everything my heart desires. Not to mension it's not always easy to find one amp that's perfect for home use as well as for loud rehearsels, live shows, recording, etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean...

Plus, I'm not strictly into one particular style of music. The one moment I'm playing fuzzy 60s style riffs, the other moment I'm jamming with metal minded buddies, and a lot of the time it's instrumental indie/post+math rock or whatever you call it...

Anyway, I'm now thinking of NOT getting a fresh practice amp for under my desk (amp sims will do for now), so I could maybe spend the money on a fat loud head. I'm on a huge sludge/doom kick lately, and I'm kind of an Adam Jones fan biy (tool). 

So I'm looking for the least expensive amp that can get me in Tool territory and doesn't have a horrible sounding clean channel. Even more versatility (like a chimey semi-clean tone) would be a nice bonus, but I'm also keeping my fender, so I've pretty much got everything covered. Except for REALLY thick low end tight high gain. 

Of the options I've found so far, these seem somewhat affordable if I manage to find a good deal on a used one:

-Mesa Recto (if it's good enough for Adam Jones and a TON of other recording/gigging bands,...)

-Bogner

• Members

When people think of the high gain sound, there are really two amps that define that tone: the Mesa Dual Recto and the Peavey 6505. People can argue all day long about whether that's a good thing or not, but when it comes down to it, those are the amps that built the modern metal sound. The 6505s are often found very cheap, at least in the US. The Mesa is probably the more flexible of the two amplifiers, though.

If versatility is the name of the game, you might try and find a Mesa Mark V head. They are expensive though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thom wrote:

Those of you who know me from my countless 'which amp' threads: I'm constantly buying and selling guitars and amps, I'd too indecisive and poor to either stick with one amp or to buy everything my heart desires. Not to mension it's not always easy to find one amp that's perfect for home use as well as for loud rehearsels, live shows, recording, etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean...

Plus, I'm not strictly into one particular style of music. The one moment I'm playing fuzzy 60s style riffs, the other moment I'm jamming with metal minded buddies, and a lot of the time it's instrumental indie/post+math rock or whatever you call it...

Anyway, I'm now thinking of NOT getting a fresh practice amp for under my desk (amp sims will do for now), so I could maybe spend the money on a fat loud head. I'm on a huge sludge/doom kick lately, and I'm kind of an Adam Jones fan biy (tool). 

So I'm looking for the least expensive amp that can get me in Tool territory and doesn't have a horrible sounding clean channel. Even more versatility (like a chimey semi-clean tone) would be a nice bonus, but I'm also keeping my fender, so I've pretty much got everything covered. Except for REALLY thick low end tight high gain. 

Of the options I've found so far, these seem somewhat affordable if I manage to find a good deal on a used one:

-Mesa Recto (if it's good enough for Adam Jones and a TON of other recording/gigging bands,...)

-Bogner

• Members

The Peavey JSX does interest me. And so still does the Marshall JVM210. 

I disagree (imagine that!) that a "heavy sound" is only made from  Dual Rec or 6505...or ESPECIALLY a VH-140c.

I GOT to tell you heavy is what you make it....in most regards! I just saw a kick-ASS guitar player and band. Not gonna say what he used just yet....but ... I have clips and hopefully posting soon. It wasn't necessarily metal, modern metal doom metal whatever. But the guy KICKED our ASSES with 2 small bargain british combos (oh I just gave it away!). He didnt play modern metal though it wouldnt have mattered. He shreded, was accurate with complex rythmic time signatures...and made us all both ashamed and elatedly happy.

I hope we all keep in mind that we should be adept guitar players and musicians, and this will help us have good guitar tone no matter what we plug into.

• Members

If you like Adam Jones, then his best tones IMO were Super Bass/Dual Rectifier. Since you're wanting a high-gain channel switcher, then the Dual Recto seems like a no-brainer. You could pick up a Solo or Tremoverb head for reasonable prices these days if you do some hunting.

• Members

I have owned many high gain amps. I played only metal growing up. I'm in my late 20's now so I don't quite as much anymore. 

I wll tell you this, do you like a ton of gain, or do you like clarity? I always liked clarity but with that saturated gain sound that makes it sound metal. To me, the 6505 did not have the clarity I wanted. I like to turn up really loud and still be able to articulate every note I'm hitting.  

These digital pre amps have come a long way. Have you thought about getting a tube power amp, along with a digital pre amp? Such as the Axe Fx? If you can't afford the axe fx, what about the 1101, or HD500? 

If you plug any of those three into a tube power amp, it will blow you away. But if you must go with an actual amp head and want a tube pre amp, I'd go with the Bogner. It is also one of my favorite. 

Another good one to look at are the ENGL's. Look at Ola Englunds stuff on YouTube, he has demoned about every high gain amp that has ever been made. 

I know this isn't about me, but I can say, I went through years trading heads and guitars and never was satisfied with my tone. Digital pre amps did NOT cut it back then. Now, they do. They are less noisy and they sound better to me. But only if you have a good tube power amp, as I don't like solid state power amps, and a good cab. 

Another advantage is you can record direct with an axe fx, or HD500 and it sounds amazing recording direct.  It also allows you to turn it down pretty low, even with the tube power amp, a normal high gain amp, will not let you do that or it sounds like crap. And you can turn it up high at band practice or a venue, and it does not sound any different. It doesn't start sounding digital like a solid state pre amp.

The 1101 has a 5150 on it. I have a real 5150. Youtube this, 1101 5150 vs 5150. You will not be able to tell the difference in which is which in that recording. The only reason I can tell the difference in person is because the 1101 sounds better than the real thing. I never thought I'd be saying that 5 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Mesa Boogie Road King II. I was able to get it from Guitar Center for 1100. Normally goes for 2700 for the head. It has a great clean channel. Like everyone else says, the Mesa is the defining sound of High Gain. It is a beast but I use it at home and church.

Archived