Classic 30 vs. AC 15?

Just Me

• Members

As connoisseurs of tone, if you wanted a lower watt, single 12" speaker combo, would you go for a used Classic 30 for about $400, or a new(ish) AC15 for $500+?

I have a Classic 50 4/10 now, which has worked like a mule for me for years, but it's more than I need..... and it's becoming a pain to haul up stairs. :o Also,  I like the lower wattage sound for what I'm doing.

Thank you for any and all opinions.

:)

• Members

I owned a Clssic 30 years ago. Real solid and relaible amp, but I never liked the gain structure. Not thick enough. Real versitle amp though. It also keeps up in band suituations

Just Me wrote:

As connoisseurs of tone, if you wanted a lower watt, single 12" speaker combo, would you go for a used Classic 30 for about $400, or a new(ish) AC15 for $500+?

I have a Classic 50 4/10 now, which has worked like a mule for me for years, but it's more than I need..... and it's becoming a pain to haul up stairs.
:o
Also,  I like the lower wattage sound for what I'm doing.

Thank you for any and all opinions.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have owned both. The Peavey I upgraded with a Greenback. Then fell in love with an AC15 C1 , loved the lower volume, then replaced it with an AC15C2. With my Humbucker Tele it has the voice of honkytonk angels. Main drawback is the 70 pound weight. I am thinking of replacing it with a Vox Night Train 15 and a speaker cab made from an old Vox Cambridge Twin.

Archived