Been away for a LONG time.... Plus, a rack mount gear question...

DarrenGO!

• Members

Just saying hi after a LONG absence (like 5 years +..) I was formerly !HxC!. But anyway, I'm revamping my rig from a head to a pre/pwr amp combo (engl 530/ Carvin TS100) what to I ned to know about running an effects loop between the two, and general dos/donts. fx is a line6 m13.

• Members

DarrenGO! wrote:

man do I know how to kill a thread 

It's not you, man. This whole forum is a ghost town...Sorry I don't have any advice because I don't have any actual experience with rack-mount gear. Rack rigs are kind of passe now, people seem to favor small combo amps with giant pedalboards with dozens of boutique pedals. You might try asking your question in the High-tech guitar forum or the effects forum. 

ghost town

• Members

In a rack situation, you only need to insert the effects device between the preamp and power amp. Preamp>effects>power amp>speakers

The whole point of an effects loop in an amp it to insert the effects after the preamp.

You may decide to use the effects loop of your preamp if you can turn your loop on/off and that fills a need for you. I always set my stuff up with the effects after the preamp, but even if I wanted to use the loop, I can't. My preamp is an ADA MP-1 and the loop sucks tone badly .

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Rich4Once wrote: I always set my stuff up with the effects after the preamp, but even if I wanted to use the loop, I can't. My preamp is an ADA MP-1 and the loop sucks tone badly .

1. Blow some air and alcohol through the loop pre/post dual gang pot as well as the output volume one.
  2. Clean the jacks.
  3. Upgrade op-amp IC. The effect loop driver/buffer op-amps are in the U9 IC on the MIDI/Jack board.

Archived