Helping my bandmate find a new amp

Stratmaster458

• Members

Hey folks so I've gotten back to playing with my band and my bandmate wants to get a new amp because he's not liking the tone of his Hot Rod Deluxe and to be honest he never really liked the tone. When we talk about what sort of sound he wants I keep thinking and saying Marshall, you want a Marshall amp and the Marshall over drive sound.

So what we are looking to do is either sell or trade his Hot Rod Deluxe for a Marshall style amp. We've been checking out the Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 watching youtube demos, while it seems to have a decent sound there isn't that much love for it online. What amps should we be looking at? We're looking for British voicing and Marshall crunch all-tube in the form of a combo amp.

What do you folks recommend?

• Members

Marshall combos in general don't get much love, though Alex Lifeson has used a stack of 2x12 combos in the past.

I'd look at some Laney or Randall combos. Blackstar is also worth looking into, some very nice features and price points.

• Members

I owned a number of amps (all tube) including a Marshall DSL 40c, which is my least expensive amp. It sounds great in the midsize to larger clubs where my band preforms Blues Rock material. If your bandmate is looking for a British tone at a reasonable priced, a DSL is worth considering. Some purist pan it because it

• Members

Stratmaster458 wrote:

Hey folks so I've gotten back to playing with my band and my bandmate wants to get a new amp because he's not liking the tone of his Hot Rod Deluxe and to be honest he never really liked the tone. When we talk about what sort of sound he wants I keep thinking and saying Marshall, you want a Marshall amp and the Marshall over drive sound.

So what we are looking to do is either sell or trade his Hot Rod Deluxe for a Marshall style amp. We've been checking out the Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 watching youtube demos, while it seems to have a decent sound there isn't that much love for it online. What amps should we be looking at? We're looking for British voicing and Marshall crunch all-tube in the form of a combo amp.

What do you folks recommend?

The 401 I owned was the worst tube amps I've ever owned, by far. Thin, boxy lows and not Marshall distortion, at all. The think of course broke, so that looses points, but the thing just sucked. Do an 800 or 1974

• 4 weeks later...

Archived