V2 Amps

V2

• Members

Phaez/V2 Lotto Amp - 8 Watt Phaez Corona

Hello Harmony Central! I'm John. I've posted occasionally under a different login name (Dr. Cocobolo), but I'm trying to get my identity consistent across the amp-oriented forums. Anyways, I wanted to share some info about some of my amps. The first one was a fun project. A while back I posted in another forum that I'd hold a random draw for a free kit build. The 'winner' would purchase a Phaez kit from Randy Fay and I'd build it at no charge. About 20 people threw their names into a hat, Randy Fay offered to supply the kit for less than $300, and his cab builder (Jim) offered to build the head cab for less than $100. Originally the lotto kit was going to be one of the new (existing) Phaez kits (Sibly or something else). However, the winner convinced Randy to design an 8-watt Corona, a model based loosely on a blackface preamp, but with some more gain on tap and an effects loop. After a month or so, Randy shipped the parts, cab, and schematic to me. A couple weeks later, the lotto amp was born. I'm burning it in this week and hope to ship it to the owner in a few days. I hope he likes it.

*** Update 22 June 2013 *** The new owner said the lotto amp is quickly becoming his favorite Phaez amp! 

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/254787-phaez-v2-cutter-2.html

Phaez Corona - cab

Phaez Corona - gut shot

Phaez Corona - front panel

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Custom 10-watt Phaez V2cutter 

A while ago I built a 10-watt Daisycutter from Randy's excellent Daisycutter kit. It started to evolve a bit with a few tweaks here and there, until I reached a point where I wanted to redesign it from the ground up. The new amp sounds similar to the original Phaez (as far as I can remember) but sports a totally custom eyelet board that I designed and built. 

Summary of the design and features:

- single-ended octal-tube output section. Takes 6V6, 6L6, EL34, and KT66.

- self biasing, so you can swap power tubes without having to reset the bias yourself

- distributed and decoupled power supply for lowest noise. 

- extra stage of filtering in the power supply to silence the hum/buzz that is heard in most single-ended amps.

- "Galactic Grounding" scheme for low noise. 

- heater voltage elevated to 80 Vdc for a substantial reduction of hum.

- pentode-triode switch. This drops the volume noticeably and results in a darker tone. 

- finely tuned Daisycutter preamp.

The video below documents the build process. The sound clips were recorded when the amp was voiced to emphasize the bottom end. The amp now has a tighter bottom end and more gain.

I re-recorded some of the same clips after tweaking the amp for tighter bass and a bit more gain..

https://soundcloud.com/v2-jmcd/v2cutter-sample-3-vh-2 

Archived