No announcement yet.

The Engl Thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by acev
    So whats the word on Engl standrad 4x12 ? Good for metal, shred type of playing ?

I'm for the marshall 1960 AV with v30s, sounds better to my ears, and its cheaper

Comment

• Originally posted by Bradman006
      I love my engl savage. It totally kicks ass for what I'm after in an amp.

I tried the H&K Triamp when I was deciding on what to buy and I can honestly say that it is a great amp. But no where near as good as the engl FOR WHAT I PLAY. This does not mean that the H&K is not as good as the engl. Just not for me. I'm sure heaps of people would be enticed by its awesome creamy lead tone.

I also owned a Mesa dual recto. It was good but didn't really perform well for what I was playing without boost/eq pedals (no where near tight enough). Again this doesn't mean that it's a crappy amp. Infact it was a great amp. Just not the best choice for me.

I will never slam any amp for this reason. Doing so is pure ignorance.

The reason there is such a variety of amps is because there is a variety of styles and personal preferences.

exactly. I very rarely totally slam something, unless i pretty much can't see how ANYONE would like it (i play a wide variety of stuff, so i can appreciate, say, a blues amp, or a death metal amp, or an amp with good cleans etc.)- and even then, it's probably still 90% personal preference!

So yeah, basically, once you get to a certain price, there's very few BAD amps out there. Just ones that suit the tones you're after better...

and on a side note, brad, i think i need counselling after seeing your new avatar

t3h br00tal gainz crew

Originally Posted by mseriously30

Do it. I've always used 11's.

I played a guitar the other day that was set up with 9's and I felt really manly after that experience.

I just thought I should share that.

Comment

• +1 on Bradman's avatar!

Hahahaha!
        Elven

Comment

• Originally posted by Nutter
          +1 on Bradman's avatar!

Hahahaha!

Cheers.

Yeah it's pretty funny.

Someone posted it on that goose step girl thread.
          Proud member of the New Wave of Australian Heavy Metal m /

Comment

• Does the ENGL Powerball get a good crisp distortion at lower bedroom levels....say...master at 2? Just wondering. Really intrigued by the Powerball lately.
            Owned- Since 2005 beezys!

Comment

• ^From what I've read from owners you can at even lower levels than 2! I just don't need all that power. Talking to someone right now about buying their Engl 530 preamp.
              Great Transactions with: aldog1330, Satan6Stringer, DirtyChains, Jimbo513, enditol, Devnor, FFFDFEFRFKFFF, SoulIncision, & thunderwizard

Comment

• the powerball and the savage sound good at bedroom volumes, but when turned up sound even better.

If your amp sounds good at low volume and worse turning it up, just change power tubes

Comment

• I'll continue to slam the Mesa Nomad and the Laney Hardcore range.

I have absolutely no problems doing that.
                  No!!! Fek off....

Comment

• Oh yeah, and Kranks, I'll slam them till the cows come home.
                    No!!! Fek off....

Comment

• Originally posted by RockinIt
                      Does the ENGL Powerball get a good crisp distortion at lower bedroom levels....say...master at 2? Just wondering. Really intrigued by the Powerball lately.

Yes. and at lower levels than that.

My savage se has less gain than a powerball, and it sounds crushing, and i use it at home.

^sick michael: i'll continue to slag stuff i don't like too

t3h br00tal gainz crew

I played a guitar the other day that was set up with 9's and I felt really manly after that experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave_Mc_2

Yes. and at lower levels than that.

My savage se has less gain than a powerball, and it sounds crushing, and i use it at home.

^sick michael: i'll continue to slag stuff i don't like too

I thought that the Savage SE's had more gain than Powerballs. So, which Engl amp has the most gain?
                        Great Transactions with: aldog1330, Satan6Stringer, DirtyChains, Jimbo513, enditol, Devnor, FFFDFEFRFKFFF, SoulIncision, & thunderwizard

Comment

• The SE and the SAVAGE SE are not the same amp!
                          www.enforcer-metal.com
                          www.deanguitars.com
                          www.engl-amps.de
                          ENGL SE EL34
                          ENGL POWERBALL
                          MESA/BOOGIE MARK IV

DEAN USA TC Z # 32/50
                          DEAN USA Custom ML Blueburst #4/25
                          DEAN USA Custom ML trans Blueburst
                          DEAN USA Custom V trans gloss natural
                          DEAN USA Custom V trans cherry red
                          DEAN USA 1981 ML flame series'
                          JACKSON RR pro
                          JACKSON USA JJ bass

Comment

• Originally posted by exposeenmity

I thought that the Savage SE's had more gain than Powerballs. So, which Engl amp has the most gain?

Originally posted by gerrekat
                            The SE and the SAVAGE SE are not the same amp!

i'd say either powerball or se (since i didn't get to try them head to head)- it was pretty close.

the fireball is also meant to get pretty heavy, but i haven't tried it.
                            t3h br00tal gainz crew

Comment

• I want a ****************ing Powerball!!! aRGGGG
                              Owned- Since 2005 beezys!

Comment

• Hey guys. Just bought myself a thunder combo Tell me, if i was to buy a 1x12 ext. cab would it cut out the internal speaker?Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X