who here knows all about warren haynes gear ? help !

DGP

• Members

Ok I really want to know what les pauls he uses and what pickups are in them ? On the live deep end dvd the les pauls he uses are they reissues ? what pickup models ? Also does he use 6l6 tubes in his soldano ? Anyone know?

Also I believe he has v-30s is his cabs ?

• Members

He uses Gibson Les Paul '58 with an Antiquity humbucker in the bridge, a '59 with two SD Pearly Gates, a Gibson Firebird with Burstbuckers and an Epiphone Firebird with Burstbuckers.

He has two main amps, the Soldano SLO-100 with I believe is stock, with a Marshall cab loaded with V30's. His other one is a Cesar Diaz CD-100 hooked up to a Marshall cab loaded with 75W Celestions.

• Members

I think his SLO is modded with a bright switch that, contrary to its name, removes some of the treble on the overdrive channel. I forgot where i read that though... try the FAQs on the Soldano website. I think it's a mod that anybody can request be performed on an SLO.

• Members

Originally posted by DGP

Ok I really want to know what les pauls he uses and what pickups are in them ? On the live deep end dvd the les pauls he uses are they reissues ? what pickup models ? Also does he use 6l6 tubes in his soldano ? Anyone know?

Warren is the biggest gear geek of them all. He uses newer-issue Les Pauls; a '58 and a custom shop are #1 & #2, I believe. His non reverse Firebirds are also reissues. The only "older" guitar he plays is a '61 dot neck 335, which he rarely plays live. As far as the pickups are concerned they are stock as far as he is saying because of his relationship w/Gibby. He has mentioned that he occasionally tries different pickups in a few guitars but as to what ones and in what guitars that is guesswork.

As far as amps, on stage w/Mule he uses a Diaz head for clean and the SLO for OD tones. On Deja Voodoo, he also supposedly mixes in a Maven Peal Ganeesha plexi-type amp with both tones:

http://www.mavenpeal.com/artists.html

I really think Warren's sound can be replicated with a good Marshall-type amp and a decent phaser/roto clone. He uses the Rotosphere quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about what tubes he uses in his SLO; I would bet the amp he plays and the amp you and I would buy are two very different things. Not to mention the fact that Warren Haynes dimes AND mics his rig whereas I (most of the time:D ) don't play arenas, so my volume needs are somewhat more modest. So the tone you would get from Warren's rig and the tone Warren gets from Warren's rig would be completely different.

• Members

Originally posted by peaveydude

He uses Gibson Les Paul '58 with an Antiquity humbucker in the bridge, a '59 with two SD Pearly Gates, a Gibson Firebird with Burstbuckers and an Epiphone Firebird with Burstbuckers.

He has two main amps, the Soldano SLO-100 with I believe is stock, with a Marshall cab loaded with V30's. His other one is a Cesar Diaz CD-100 hooked up to a Marshall cab loaded with 75W Celestions.

Where did you come up w/that? And who makes a mini-hum sized Burstbucker?

• Members

yeah I know he gets his tone from his hands more than anything and so do I! I just want to understand his gear as I am always buying things and may get a few things from his rig. I really want to confrim the pickup thing as if they are stock or not. The reverse firebird purple guitar he has I believe has stock mini hums?

• Members

I got this from the Guitar One Holiday 2004 issue, where they interview the actual players, and in some cases, their head technician, for specific information about their gear. In this case, Warren Haynes provided the info himself.

• Members

I got this from the Guitar One Holiday 2004 issue, where they interview the actual players, and in some cases, their head technician, for specific information about their gear. In this case, Warren Haynes provided the info himself.

I've seen Warren at least 25 times and not once have I ever seen him play an Epiphone. Never mind an Epiphone with full size humbuckers. Guitar One is a nice magazine but he might have been pimping the Epi's for Gibson to that mags focus reader--players who are just starting out. Nothing wrong with that, and the Epi is probably a fine guitar but to answer the initial post, he did not use any Epiphones in either Deep End tour, nor in any show that I have ever seen.

Does the Epi Firebird have full size humbuckers?

• Members

He owns that Epiphone, it doesn't mean that you're going to see him using it on stage, or anywhere else for that matter. For the record, in the 40+ issues of that mag that I've read back to front, I haven't seen a single Epiphone ad. They may have reviewed an Epihone guitar, and if they did, it didn't fare that well, otherwise I would have added it to my list of guitars to try out, since I'm looking for a new one.

• Members

He owns that Epiphone, it doesn't mean that you're going to see him using it on stage, or anywhere else for that matter. For the record, in the 40+ issues of that mag that I've read back to front, I haven't seen a single Epiphone ad. They may have reviewed an Epihone guitar, and if they did, it didn't fare that well, otherwise I would have added it to my list of guitars to try out, since I'm looking for a new one.

1) I'm pretty sure that they haven't run 40+ issues of that mag

2) Gibson usually spends its advertising dollars on Gibson products, not Epi. Epi's sell because they look like Gibsons. I've seen a lot more Gibby ads than Epi ads.

3) I know that there have been ads for Epi in that mag. You missed them.

4) The original question was what does Warren use in The Deep End DVD. We both agree that it was not an Epiphone Firebird with Burstbuckers.

5) So Warren Haynes "owns" an Epiphone Firebird with Burstbucker pickups? What was the question, "Warren, what guitars do you own but never play on stage or anywhere else for that matter?"

6) For the third time, is there an Epiphone Firebird with full size humbuckers?

• Members

The question was........

Looks to me if he wanted to know what Les Pauls he uses, and if the Les Pauls he uses in the DVD are re-issues, correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

1) Including special, anniversary and holiday editions, yes there has been.

2) I know how the advertising works, my point is that the editors and contributors appear as though they do not have an obvious slant toward Epiphone. Marshall on the other hand, they do, and it's crystal clear.

3) Maybe there has, but I'm looking through my box, and I haven't found one yet!

4) The question was whether or not the LP's he used were re-issues. I didn't answer that question for a reason, because I do not know.

5) His question, as I stated, was about what Les Paul guitars he used, and specifically which ones he used on the DVD. I offered the Epiphone and amp stuff as extra info he may want, and was no way intended to be a direct answer to his question. I was vague for a reason, because I was merely offering what little information I had on the subject. You didn't see me naming specific guitars and pick-ups used in certain guitars or videos, did you?

6) The photographs and article make no mention of any specifics regarding his Epiphone guitar, other than the fact it has Burstbuckers. It makes no mention of the size of them whatsoever.

• Members

Whatever. You're right. If you want to cop Warren's tone from that DVD, go buy a Korean Epiphone reverse Firebird, carve the plywood body out so you can jam Burstbuckers into it, and I'm sure you'll be nuts-on. **sarcasm**

I think you were just mistaken when you mentioned that the guitar that Warren had mentioned was a Firebird. That's cool.

Cool Warren pic with the beautiful USA Sheraton. That Epi is a classic.

P.S. The first G1 mag I picked up (May 2004) took me eight pages to find an Epi ad (p.8).

• Members

Warren did use a metal zone. Now he uses a Klon Centaur for overdrive. I know it's been said, but the sound is more in the hands and the attack he has more than anyting else. In watching the Deep End DVD it was interesting to watch a lot of his nuances - the way he works the volume knob and pickup selector, and the way he will sometimes use the pick, sometimes his thumb, and sometimes just strum with the top sides of his fingernails just to clean up the sound a little bit. I really dig Haynes' playing. Having said all of that you can attain similar sounds with a lot of different setups. Lately, I've been playing and Anderson Cobra through a Peavey Ultra 112 (I know, I know - it's not boutique) and get a pleasing sound with the gain turned down on the crunch channel. I really like Warren's playing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Check out Warren's new video interviews on Gibson Guitar's Web site.

http://www.gibson.com/warrenhaynes/

There are several interview segments and two players tips lessons where he talks about his gear and playing style.

Talks about his new sweet Gibson LP too. Man, I just love Warren. He seems like the nicest guy and what an incredible player!

Katrocity:thu:

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Obviously a big part of it is just him regardless of what hes using..Ive seen Warren play Gibson amps Victoria amps Marshalls Super reverbs Prs SOldano Diaz he basically ALWAYS sounds the same...ITs just in his hands ya know...ANy great player no matter what you put them through there gonna sound like themselves...Having said that most of what everyone is saying is corrent...He ALWAYS has the Diaz with him whether its the brothers or mule or phil lesh whatever thats his go to amp...Unfortunately Cesar died a few years ago and that amp Warren has was made specially for him..Its a 150 watt custom built head..He has a clone someone build him thats 50 watts i believe but he rarely uses it..The soldano is also a favorite of his I always see him use with mule...When hes playing with Mule The soldano is his dirty sound and the diaz is his "cleaner" sound...When he plays with the Brothers hes using PRS amps mainly and the diaz as well..hes jumped around with the PRS stuff...with the Warren Haynes band he was using the PRS 30 combo which is a great amp..Think like Brown fender..Chimey yet smoothe distortion when pushed..With the Brothers he was initially using the Original Sewell now he uses the Super Dallas which was basically built for him...Its got alot of balls alot of low end but is prolly the Cleanest amp he uses even though its not very clean at all...Im a huge brothers fan Warren and derek as well as Dickie and Duane so i started buying all the high end PRS amps i could find...To Date I own the Original Sewell with the MDT mod/The 4x10 Dallas combo(one of the amps Derek always has on stage with the brothers at least this past tour for stage volume...Unbelivable amp..Think of the best super reverb you could and ad a bit of grit if you want it..)and I own the HX/DA which is Dereks main amp with the brothers...Ive played Soldanos and Diaz amps (not warrens) And i think the best amp to nail his sound..If you can find one is the PRS Original Sewell with either a 4x12 marshall cab or the matching 2x12 prs cab...The sewell does the warren thing straight up without any pedals...Infact all the PRS amps in my opinion are pedal Killers....

Onto Pedals..He uses a Klon sometimes a Boss OC-2 Octaver an eernie ball volume pedal for swells a standard Cry Baby wah and a Tube Screamer that he only uses to boost the level when hes playing his Firebirds

As far as guitars go hes always using new ****..hes buddys with Gibson obviously and is constantly using a plethra of guitars all Custom shop Vos pauls..He uses 58's 59's and 60's depending on his mood i guess..Ive had the please of talking with Warren one on one a few times and we talk about gear and the last time i saw him before the beacon run of 2013 he was using 2 60 burst re issues...I also own his Signature Les paul the 58 with the midboost switch..I have to say its one of the finest guitars ive ever played..thtats why you never see them for sale because there incredible guitars..as far as pickups Ive heard the whole seymour duncan thing and that might be the case on a few guitars prolly ones hes really come to love and wanted to work on a bit but for the most part its all stock burst buckers based on the fact that hes changing guitars so much...the 335 is his pride and joy vintage guitar he has more but that from his own mouth is his favorite guitar of all time..It never leaves new york and he only uses it on the beacon runs with the brothers and records with it on alot of his cds...It was the only guitar he used on the Warren haynes band record...

he uses GHS boomer strings 10 gauge on the pauls 11's on his strats and firebirds...

Obviously warren is one of if not the best blues rock player of our generation and im a huge fan i try to get my sound as close to his as I can with a few tweaks just to sound a little more me..But he is the epitome of a godlike tone...And if you really wanna nail his sound do yourself a favor and pick up a PRS sewell or Super Dallas and youll be amazed at how close youll get with nothing but a les paul a chord and that amp ; ) hope this helps..You can also check out the Warren Haynes Rig Rundown on youtube...-Tyler

Archived