Ampeg VH-140c....

Ovid9

• Members

I can't play deathmetal. I don't need 140 stereo watts of solid state distortion.

BUT...there's one in pretty much pristine condition by me for my gear cash on hand plus quickly unloaded cheapy plus 1 repressed memory. ($300)

It has the original GK12k5s in it. While it would be stupid to buy a combo just for the speakers, I might be able to put them in a 2x12 I have and put its speakers in there and turn around and sell it for $200 no?

I just want one of these to play through for no good reason and I'm drunk.

:cry:

• Members

G12K85s are nice speakers... your plan makes sense.

You may like the amp though. Has a super nice clean on it and despite it's death metal reputation it can do other things.

I really don't need another amp now though. There are so many other gear things I need/want before another amp. But holy crap, if I could talk him down just a bit....its so tempting. SOOO tempting. *sigh*

• Members

AND

You gonna put the speakers in that cheapo 2x12 you got recently? That would be pretty much awesome.

Possibly. :)

Though, I've also been drunkenly comptenplating that a VH140C + pedals might be an awesome gigging amp for a bar cover band. Run it clean or RIGHT before breakup and use pedals for dirt might be better for small bars than my VTM + 2x12 would be. I mean, I WANT to use my VTM badly, but....the VH140 might be more controllable for my talent level.

*More justifications my precious*

I could save the VTM for a garage rock/stoner/hack metal project i've been thinking about. :lol:

• Members

Buy amp, learn death metal.

:idea:

Seriously, I'll never be dedicated enough to play death metal.

I could possibly play some fake death metal though.

Tune down. Chug E string. Occasionally hit the higher strings for no apparent reason.

Fake death metal FTWL. :lol:

• Members

That about sums up my playing

I'm not alone? :love:

On a serious note, its so frustrating. As far as exercises go, my fingers can move at a shitty/slow/barely above beginner pace. But when I try and actually play songs, especially leads, my fingers say "FUCK YOU! Sure, we play 2x as fast on warmups and more technical on exercises, but this simple solo we're going to fuck your shit up so you want to give up guitar!"

I hate it. :cry:

• Members

Dying Fetus was awesome live w this amp. It was some of the clearest guitar I've ever heard at a death metal show. And they didn't even have the mids on 10.

Dying Fetus blew my mind when I saw them earlier this year. I don't think I've ever seen/will ever a see a 3 piece bring the brootz like they did. Unreal.

Now, Cattle Decapitation came close, but the singer/screamer occasionally did wacky keyboard stuff, so they aren't technically a 3 piece.

• Members

They get the best soaring high gain lead sound of any ss I've even messed with. But chords still sound pretty harsh on the gain. I love that but most ppl hate it.

Well, at that level of gain chords are gonna sound harsh. Its a love it or hate it point kinda I think.

• Members

^ There ya go.

We're far from death metal too - the songs on the bandcamp page in my sig were all recorded with the VH-140C (2 tracks panned hard left/right, with a Richtone Cherrybomb down the middle in parts) It's a dirty tone, but not the tight/ultra-brutal tone that people think of when they think of the VH-140C.

• Members

Dude you just described my writing process
:rawk:

:lol:

But seriously, buy dat amp!

Email sent. We'll see what happens.

My local CL drives me nuts. Normally its 1 or 2 things that interest me, but I don't really want. But right now there are about 5 items on there all within my price range, that I really want.

A mint condition 1982 Peavey T-60 with OHSC proof of purchase and warranty card for example. ME WANT!!! :lol:

Archived