Marshall DSL 401 Combo, which speaker?

metal0822

• Members

Hey guys, i was thinking of either the vintage 30 or the g12t75 or whatever its called. What are the differences between the two speakers from your experiences, and which speakers would you recommend for which styles? Also any other speakers you can recommend? (especially if they can be had cheaper)

• Members

The G1275 is only slightly better than the DSL's stock speaker. Believe it or not, I'm using an old Peavey Scorpion guitar speaker in my DSL combo and I'm kinda liking it. Kinda tames the highend sizzle that the DSL has. The V30 did that too but, the mids were way too much. Turning the mids down a bit however kinda balanced it out.

• Members

well thats good news cause i love mids. i got the red channel eq'd right now as treble 4.5, mids 7, bass 1.5

You, sir, sound like you will end up being the world's biggest fan of the Vintage 30!

My understanding is that the G12T75 compliments the mid heavy V30 by adding treble- so you don't want it.

I'm running a Vintage 30 and Greenback combo in my 2x12 because the GB adds high treble/presence that the V30 doesn't have, but, based on your EQ settings you should love the V30 all by itself (just as MANY people on here do)!

• Members

awesome, thanks for the help guys. how do those warehouse speakers compare? i think thats what they are called, basically a cheaper version i think?

Get 'em here for $99 http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Otherwise you're throwing your money out the window for the same exact genuine Celestion speaker.

Get the hellatone 60 which is a broken in V30.

We start with a stock great sounding classic 60 watt Celestion Vintage 30. We convert it into a Hellatone by aging it slightly and by exercising the suspension for 15 hours so when you get it, it has a warmer tone on the very first note. These two aging processes warm up the low end and smooth out the midrange slightly. The Hellatone model 60 really projects and is great for all kinds of music..especially Rock and Metal! Large Heavy 50 oz magnet 60 watts 8 ohm or 16 ohm. For specs, go to celestion.com ...click on 'classic' speakers, vintage 30 speaker.

$99ea.

plus $12. shipping. Two for $185+$19 shipping.

Four for $349+$29 shipping

• Members

so the hellatone 60 is a broken in v30?

Yeah click the 4th link over on the top- the blue text says HELLATONE- they explain it all.

The G12H30 is a 30 watt speaker so they call the hellatone a 30

and the V30 is a 60 watt speaker so they call it a hellatone 60

• Members

thats pretty cool. i actually had to sell off my head and 212 cab because it was too much amp for me at the moment. i have played it through my friends jcm 800 412 though and it sounded huge. unfortunately, driving back and forth to school means i can only have a combo, and not being in a band and having roommates makes even 40 watts a lot, but i couldn't turn down the deal i got on this, so i snagged it up. i read some reviews of the hellatone 60 and i think its what i was looking for. thanks a ton for the help guys!

• Members

o alright. well after reading some reviews, and peoples problems with the stock 401 speaker, i can def hear what everyone is talking about. and i found a vid on youtube where i guy changed his out to a v30 and liked the changes that were made. i think ill go with the hellatone unless i can find a good deal on a v30 on craigslist or something.

• 4 years later...

Archived