Bang for the Buck Tube amps

strings4v

• Members

So i found Bogner Alchemist 112 combo also fits in my budget. And it is the BOGNER! Can't pass without considering it. I am debating between Peavey Classic 30, Crate palomino 32V, and Bogner Alchemist 112. As i put in my previous posts regarding amps, I like Guthrie Govan, Neil zaza, and Andy Timmons. Medium gain with a great amount of sustain is my taste and not really into mid scooped extreme metal (I can always go in that ballpark with MXR fullbore metal or Wampler Triple Wreck if i need to buy one of those haha) 

• - Made in the USA
  • - Genuine Spring Reverb with level control
  • - Pre- and post-gain controls on lead channel
  • - External speaker capability
  • - Chrome-plated chassis
  • - Classic tweed covering
  • - Footswitches optional
  • - 30 watts (rms) into 16 or 8 ohms
  • - 2-channel preamp
  • - Footswitch selectable channel switching, reverb and boost
  • - Four EL84s and three 12AX7s
  • - 12 inch Blue Marvel

• Members

EL84's are rated about less than half the output power of 6L6.

EL84 amps can be space heaters. Those tubes get hot whcih can mean more maintenance issues on the pc boards.

Blue Marvel Speakers suck

For what you are doing I'd suggest the C30, but you might want to swap the speaker out. It has the other things you need and you can boost it if needed. Alchemist was a darker sounding amp to me.

• Members

Of the 3 choices you picked I think the C30 is a better all around amp.  It's been proven over and over to do almost anything well and they seem to hold up good.  I'd stay away from any thing Crate makes. Another choice you may consider is a Hotrod Deluxe (HRD), I havent tried the new ones but I've been told they are an improvement over the originals.  And it has 6L6's which I prefer over EL84's.   My friend uses a HRD in a working band 3-4 nights a week for the last several years and it's never been any trouble.

• Members

sillypuddy wrote:

Of the 3 choices you picked I think the C30 is a better all around amp.  It's been proven over and over to do almost anything well and they seem to hold up good.  I'd stay away from any thing Crate makes. Another choice you may consider is a Hotrod Deluxe (HRD), I havent tried the new ones but I've been told they are an improvement over the originals.  And it has 6L6's which I prefer over EL84's.   My friend uses a HRD in a working band 3-4 nights a week for the last several years and it's never been any trouble.

Depends what HRD RI is used. Some I dont like their 0-loud volume on 1 pot designs. First thing I'd do is modify that control circuit.

• Members

sillypuddy wrote:

Please disregard the uninformed opinion about Crate. The USA made Crate V32 is a great amp and has a better gain channel than the Peavey or fender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll be damned, the Boost is foot switchable on the Classics now! That is something I've been missing on mine. That and a Standby switch, which the C30 also has these days. Do they still sound awesome? It is the best all round amp I've ever owned. Bought mine back in -96.

• Members

So palomimo and classic 30 are fiercely discussed. I'd love to hear some honest clips of those amps. I looked up lots of videos on youtube but still. If i raise my budget a little bit Blackstar HT20 and carvin belair. Belair is 50watts so might be an overkill...

I also curious how loud HT20 and maybe things like carvin vintage 16 can get over a drummer

• Members

strings4v wrote:

So palomimo and classic 30 are fiercely discussed. I'd love to hear some honest clips of those amps. I looked up lots of videos on youtube but still. If i raise my budget a little bit Blackstar HT20 and carvin belair. Belair is 50watts so might be an overkill...

I also curious how loud HT20 and maybe things like carvin vintage 16 can get over a drummer

It really depends on your style/genre...and the kind of PA/monitor gear you have (or havn't).

For me...it wasn't always just about volume or big amps. I tried to use a 4x12, it just didn't work for me. I usually ened up too loud, often the drummer said he couldn't hear me. Open back 2x12 combo works best for me because it has nice frontal spread, but also projects around the back of the stage. It fill the stage with less volume...ideal!

If your drummer is adept and wise....you should have no problem with those amps. If he's a basher thrasher...could be an issue without good monitors.

• Members

strings4v wrote:

I've owned Palominos and C30s.   I no longer have the C30 and have two Palominos.  IMO, the Palominos are vastly superior in just about every aspect.   I've played a Blackstar HT40 and it also doesn't come close to the Palomino.   The Carvin Vintage series are decent amps and I'd pick that one over the Blackstars but I'd still pick the Palomino over all of them.  BTW, as good as the Palomino is stock, it becomes substantially better with a tube swap and speaker swap.  A Swamp Thang sounds amazing in it and it's a very efficient speaker so it gives you a LOT more volume and JJs give it a much smoother sound.

BTW, where are you finding the Palomino? They are no longer made and are kind of hard to find.

• Members

Steve2112: currently i rely on the place i do gigs at about PA/monitoring. I dont own the equipments personally. I play instrumental a lot. Guys like Andy Timmons, Neil Zaza and Guthrie Govan(oh how i wish i can say im able to cover him) are what i am seeking for soundwise.

Guitarman3001: So you really like Palomino series. Ive heard about lots of good comments on that amp. I wish you have a comparing video clip between those too... What was the major factor that made you go towards the Crate? What are some downsides of clsc30?

• Members

strings4v wrote:

Also i am planning on patiently waiting for one on ebay to appear. I believe it is going to be hard to resell if i ever(probs not but) decide to?

I would never worry too much about resell value. Obviously...the better deal you can get, the less loss (if any) you will have. Patience really is good in this matter...don't jump on the first one. But the price it is worth to you, and leaveit at that...no bidding wars for you!

I'm not sure the Crate can cover those guys you listed...a mighty goal I must say! Do you also employ pedals?

• Members

I am a pedal geek even tho i dont have whole bunch. I once played my BB preamp through my friend's egnator tweaker and it sounded whole lot better than through my Valvestates. I was convinced that a good platform is extremely important for especially boutique type pedals.

Archived