Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I scored a '65 Vibrolux from a dumpster

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I turned it on, the tubes glow. I don't have any power tubes, they were missing when it was found. I briefly looked over the circuit and I see there are 2 connections that have broken. I believe they are chassis ground connections. I will study the schematic and try to run through everything when I get some spare time. I am taking a business trip to China soon so it will be awhile before I can really dig into this thing.

I'm really stoked about this. Should I go with some original style Jensen speakers or should I get something from Weber?
    Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
    Terry D.

Originally Posted by Mr.Strat

screams are gayer than a gay 69. if you are gonna sing, please do it right!

Comment

I ****************ING HATE YOUR ****************ING GUTSSSSS
      MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

You're already a white male, what more could you ask for?

You know, other than a free amp. ****************ers. THE LOT OF THEM.

there is some dark past in the youngblood history, but mostly its pretty clean.
        great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
        SG ARMY

Comment

Funny you mention the broken ground connections.

I have a '65 bassman on the bench, same parts as yours by the way, and it has a broken ground wire for V2's cathode circuit killing channel one.

man, how f-d up would it be if that's the only thing wrong with your amp.

Once again.....FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Comment

I am going to get some caps and tubes so I can check out the amplifier and make sure it's all good. Is this a good set of caps to get? I see a lot of people go with the Sprague Atom caps. Should I stick to that, or go with something different? I want to get the best quality components, but I want to maintain as best I can the original sound of the amp. I will of course, replace only what needs to be replaced. The speakers will have to wait a few weeks, but I want to start by getting the amplifier working properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECAP-KIT-Fender-Deluxe-Reverb-Vibrolux-Reverb-/190460955402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c585b 8b0a
            Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
            Terry D.

Comment

• sillypuddy
              sillypuddy commented
              Editing a comment

Nice score (WE HATE YOU!)  LOL  If it's an original it worth a couple grand more if it's working.

About 10 years ago a guy I know from another band found one at a yard sale for $100 and talked them down to $85. Then the seller asked if he wanted to buy this old guitar his dad played in a Surf Band. So he ended up buying a Fender Jaguar and a bunch of other stuff for about $250. Both were mid '60's and in good condition.

Looks like it's an original, you should try plugging it in.  My guess is it can be fixed no matter whats wrong, Lots of people work on them. I do my own work.

Nice score. I'd put some Eminence Legends in it. Recap it, spray the pots, get the pre tubes checked. If they're good, they're good. Get some JJ's and rock. Oh, and convert to a 3 prong power cord.

Comment

Make sure you tell them it only needs minor work, and basically they threw away $1500 because they were ignorant.

Congrats. There's a reason everyone loves Vibroluxes.
              Ita Erat Quando Hic Adveni
              I play guitar, bass and drums with equal enthusiasm and lack of skill.

"Never attribute to malice, those things which are adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious: Don't fire it up without hooking up a speaker.

I wouldn't consider firing it up until you'd given it a thorough once-over. Somebody tossed it for a reason (even if it was a stupid one).

If you are confident that you know what to look for & check, go for it. Just bear in mind that missing something important could risk frying a vintage transformer. If you have any doubts at all, pay a competent tech a couple of hours bench fee to do it right.

Great score.

... oh yeah, FFFFFFUUUUUUU...

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

I am going to get some caps and tubes so I can check out the amplifier and make sure it's all good. Is this a good set of caps to get? I see a lot of people go with the Sprague Atom caps. Should I stick to that, or go with something different? I want to get the best quality components, but I want to maintain as best I can the original sound of the amp. I will of course, replace only what needs to be replaced. The speakers will have to wait a few weeks, but I want to start by getting the amplifier working properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECAP-KIT-Fender-Deluxe-Reverb-Vibrolux-Reverb-/190460955402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c585b 8b0a

Nice score.

The F&Ts and Sprague Atoms in that kit are top notch components and the price seems to be on the money.
                  HCAF Kylie Minogue Brotherhood

Comment

What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb.

Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.
                    Terry D.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                      AlamoJoe commented
                      Editing a comment

Greg_In_Michigan wrote:
                      What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb. Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.

Of course you're right. Get it running, plug it in, plug in your axe, then kiss your microphone.:smileyeek:

• sillypuddy
                      sillypuddy commented
                      Editing a comment

Greg_In_Michigan wrote:
                      What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb. Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.

Does it have a ground switch?  Most older Fender amps with a 2 prong power cord did. My '66 Deluxe Reverb was a 2 prong with a ground switch, My '75 Twin had a 3 prong and a 3 way ground switch. The reason they put a 3 prong cord on is to get the polarity (ground) properly set, older wall outlets were 2 prong, no ground. The ground switch on the olders ones reversed the polarity, older amps without a ground switch had the chance of  shocking you, that could be fixed by reversing the plug in the wall outlet.  I'll tell you from my own experience, as a kid I used to get shocked all the time until I figured out I could reverse the plug, or flip the ground switch if it had one. Tuner Cleaner works pretty good, you can get it at Radio Shack or other electronic stores even Home Depot has it where I live.   

EDIT:  I looked again and it looks like it has a ground switch, looks like it's wired to the fuse. Also has the 120V outlet on the back, someting else I miss on the reissue amps.  Sweet! 

What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb.

Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.

Look, I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you don't know why you need a grounded plug AND you were willing to turn the thing on with no power tubes or speakers hooked up, you might not be the right person to restore the amp. I HIGHLY recommend that you take it to a pro.

BTW excellent score! Rather than getting jealous, I am really happy that this sometimes happens.
                    Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

Rocking the spandex AND the depends!

Comment

really remarkable condition for an amp that ended up in a dumpster. i fantasize about these great uncle left behind this stupid old amp, my husband past away & he had this old amp, type stories. i keep hoping i'll go to a garage sale and .....

Comment

Look, I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you don't know why you need a grounded plug AND you were willing to turn the thing on with no power tubes or speakers hooked up, you might not be the right person to restore the amp. I HIGHLY recommend that you take it to a pro.

BTW excellent score! Rather than getting jealous, I am really happy that this sometimes happens.

The neutral on the power connection acts as a ground. It wasn't there to begin with. Why is it needed now? Everything is grounded to the chassis. There were no power tubes plugged in. Without the power tubes, aren't the preamp tubes segregated from the load?
                        Terry D.

Comment

Take it to a pro unless you're very experienced in amp work. Why run the risk of ruining a classic or not getting it into preservable shape? The repairs will be much cheaper than the value of the amp anyway.
                          Mesa/Boogie Mob

My Gear
                          Fender American Deluxe V Neck (w/ sustainiac stealth plus)
                          Warmoth Tele (Bridge: Dimarzio Breed, Neck: GFS Hot Nashville)
                          ESP-LTD MH-301
                          Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special 112
                          Boss GT-8
                          Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah
                          EHX Micro POG
                          Afri-Can Guitar
                          Xotic Effects BB Preamp MB
                          Xaviere XV-700 Redflake Fretless
                          Crate V18-112
                          Outlaw Supply Ole Fuzzy

Good deals with:
                          Mfergel