Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I scored a '65 Vibrolux from a dumpster

Did I make a score here? I think this is an original '65 Vibrolux. How do I confirm this? I would like to restore it.

My roommate went with his girlfriend this morning to clean out her great grandmother's house where her great uncle also lived. Apparently he moved to Arizona sometime ago and left quite a few things and unfortunately her great grandmother recently passed. They came back and told me about the "old crappy amp" they threw in the dumpster. When they described it to me I was intrigued. They told me it looked just like mine (Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue) and it said Fender on it, it had a black face where the knobs are, and it was really old and dusty.

Unfortunately, it was missing the speakers and it did not have power tubes. Well, I decided to drive an hour to where the house was at and jump in the dumpster to see what it was exactly. I was pretty happy with what I found.

The cab is in pretty decent shape. It was dirty as hell but I cleaned it up. There are very few bad spots, no major tears. The front on top was dinged up because my roommate threw it in the dumpster. It did not have the original speakers. I have no idea what could have happened to them. The reverb plate is in great condition and was also attached. I removed it to inspect.

I think this stamp means it's from 1965, I still have to look up and figure out for sure if it's an original. Given the rust and black face, I would believe it is.

The inside seems to be in good condition. I found one wire that had broken off. I have not checked to see what it comes from. I think it's typical that you should replace the caps and clean the pots on something like this. I will get into that sometime in the next few weeks.

Blackface.
    Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
    Terry D.

Originally Posted by Mr.Strat

screams are gayer than a gay 69. if you are gonna sing, please do it right!

It says "Fender Electric" instead of "Fender Musical". It's pre CBS or VERY early 1965 before they ran out of those faceplates.

That's an AMAZING score. You suck. I hate you!!! (just kidding - but I am VERY jealous).

Comment

****************. Nice free amp. Some people are stupid.

Comment

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
        Gibson Les Paul Traditional
        Warmoth Custom Soloist
        Ibanez S370
        Gibson SG Special
        '77 Marshall JMP 2203
        http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
        --------

Originally Posted by RaceU4her

i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

Comment

The inside of the cab on the tube chart says "AA864." The stamp on the tube chart says "0C" in BLACK ink, and the Production spot says "#2." Reading some various old posts of forums leads me to believe this is likely early 1965, January - July. I cannot find a serial number anywhere. There is a designation that seems to be "XF0765" on the bottom of the cabinet. The plate of the amp seems to say "rF0765" I am not sure if that's right. Is that July, 1965? F seems to be the model, Vibrolux. But what is the R or the X for?

The next thing is, what do I do to restore this thing? It has the original pre-amp tubes but I have not looked at them yet. They are still in the metal covers. The power tubes are gone. Should I replace all of the tubes?

The speakers are also missing. I will need to buy new ones. Should I get Jensens? Should I get some Webers? What's the best speaker I can put in this bad boy?

Should I replace the caps and clean all the pots? It looks like the thing sat in an attic for years. There is no way to know how much use it has, though. I believe caps leak and go bad even if they sit awhile. Should I try to do it myself or take it to an amp tech? I am pretty good with a soldering iron...
          Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
          Terry D.

Originally Posted by Mr.Strat

screams are gayer than a gay 69. if you are gonna sing, please do it right!

Comment

Those Vibrolux's sound incredible through 4 x10's. You should try to find a 4x10 ext. cab. They really do sound incredible with those amps.
            Great deals with: Draco Aron X 2 , Holy War, Edge of Darkness X 2, freehandarson, Chrisjd, Yo_Squig, Crank, Abstract, xnatex, Norton666, JSilverstein, Elemenope, moop, Ricky Rockhardo

Originally Posted by madryan

That's the problem with Marshalls... They cut right through.

"

B.) Bending a woman over and seeing sphincter art is pretty much a clear signal that she wants you to salt the Devil's Onion Ring.

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

Kinda how I quit drinking for a long time. That was lame so I started again

Comment

Holy **************** dude!!!!! That is ****************in' awesome!!!!
              Guitars:
              Gibson Les Paul Studio
              MIA Charvel San Dimas
              MIJ Charvel So-Cal

Amp and Cab & Effects: Eleven Rack w/ QSC K12

New Eleven Rack standalone Preset loader: https://sites.google.com/site/elevenhack/

Great Deals with: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45497009

Comment

Thats an incredible find.
                It starts and ends at your fingers.

Comment

The universe thanks you for rescuing the amp.

Comment

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

That is CLEAN!

My lord, I've found some cool stuff in the dumpster, including a Sunn 2000s that just needed filter caps and tubes, but that is incredible!
                    Chances are it had some problem, unless the owner was a total idiot or someone else threw it away.

Check the filter caps in the "doghouse" to see if any are leaking.
                    check fuse, pull output tubes and fire up.
                    if fuse doesn't blow, put output tubes in one at a time.

jenson makes great replacement speakers for it, and Weber also has plenty of awesome replacements.

Comment

1 jensen 1 weber

Ill give you $250 for it as is!
                      It starts and ends at your fingers.

Comment

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

im a really nice dude IRL. i really dont understand what the hell i did to the universe or my ancestors did that keeps me from having cool **************** like this happen to me.
                        great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                        SG ARMY

Comment

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

im a really nice dude IRL. i really dont understand what the hell i did to the universe or my ancestors did that keeps me from having cool **************** like this happen to me.

You're already a white male, what more could you ask for?

You know, other than a free amp. ****************ers. THE LOT OF THEM.
                          -"Actual journalism? Isn't that when you don't commit crimes?"
                          -"Hell no, it's when we commit really good crimes."

Comment

holy****************
                            ORANGE AMPS
                            Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

I'm jealous. Let me know if you want to sell it.

Comment

Working...
                              X