Raven amps the worst ever?

Kassanova

• Members

I was in Guitar Center and decided to try this amp I had never seen before called a Raven. I plugged in a standard Ibanez guitar and, I swear this amp had to be the worst I've heard in years. It sounded like complete ASS. On the upside, the built-in tuner was nice. I hope they are giving those away free with the purchase of a 5 pack of strings, otherwise somebody's getting ripped off. Anyone else played one of these?

• Members

I think Gorilla still hold the title of worst sounding amp. Never played a raven.

I'm starting to think that all of these amps are made by the same company and they just change the name from time to time to a different random animal ... my first amp was a 10 watt Tiger (I still have it, because I can't give it away), then Gorilla, Rhino, and now Raven ... it's a conspiracy of bad tone.

• Members

I'm starting to think that all of these amps are made by the same company and they just change the name from time to time to a different random animal ... my first amp was a 10 watt Tiger (I still have it, because I can't give it away), then Gorilla, Rhino, and now Raven ... it's a conspiracy of bad tone.

I thought the same thing. As a general rule, amps named after animals suck (except maybe red bear, cobra, dragon, etc??). Anyway, I bet all this SS shitboxes are all made by the same company.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I couldn't disagree more. I think this amp sounds great. I have the RG60. It's light weight has a 12" speaker with an effects loop. With other amps I would have had to pay for a 2 12 to get an effects loop. Weird. Anyway I think the tone is tight and punchy. It also has a very nice clean channel. I have noticed that my ESP sounds better on this amp than my Ibanez. Its often a case of the right combination of guitar amp and effects to get the best tone for yourself.

Here is a link of some samples. Judge for yourslef.

http://boomp3.com/visitor/d707d55e6c5e/files

• Members

I'll take the tiger.

• Members

I worked at Guitar Center, and the store manager told me Bruce Egnater (think Mesa Rectifiers, B52 AT100s, and his own line of amps) designed these. Of course, he has said some pretty wrong stuff before so it might have just been crap.

I'm relatively sure that Bruce has never worked for Mesa.

• Members

I couldn't disagree more. I think this amp sounds great. I have the RG60. It's light weight has a 12" speaker with an effects loop. With other amps I would have had to pay for a 2 12 to get an effects loop. Weird. Anyway I think the tone is tight and punchy. It also has a very nice clean channel. I have noticed that my ESP sounds better on this amp than my Ibanez. Its often a case of the right combination of guitar amp and effects to get the best tone for yourself.

That sounds pretty cool... but the "heavy rhythm" track isn't even remotely heavy. Chuck Berry is NOT heavy metal. :p

I really dig the clean clip.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

+1 :thu:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

those amps are such peices of shit. i tryed one cause i saw they were cheap and hoped they wernt a fuzz box like crates. jesus when i sat down to try it i went to turn it on and the chassis fell INTO THE CAB WITH THE SPEAKER. needless to say i got up and tried out crates after that. at least i know theyre built like brick shithouses