Carvin VTR 2800

raine36

• Members

So I got a really good deal on a 1978 Carvin VTR 2800 (at least I think that's what mine is. It is a 1978, but the front layout differs slightly from the 2800 in that there is another toggle where the power light would be, which is moved down next to the power toggle) and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these amps. It seems they're rather unheard of these days, no online videos, and only a handful of reviews on HC or elsewhere. The best info I can find is from the Carvin Museum website, but that only gives so much.

Summary: Have Carvin VTR 2800. Looking for any information in general regarding the amp, even opinions or experiences.

• Members

Hey thanks. I mean, I definitely never thought of Googling the amp! How many doors you have opened in my life sir! I am so thrilled that you are able to contribute to the resources of this forum via your hotlink! My gosh, I hope for humanity that your wealth of knowledge and charity is not confined to the walls of this forum only!

• Members

Hey tlbonehead, I just picked mine up from the Music Go Round in Burnsville for 50 bones. I've been amp-less for a while, so I saw it online for cheap and went with it. I've been meaning to pick up a bass for a while too, so the amp could probably double for the bass as well? Thanks for your reply by the way.

• Members
Hey tlbonehead, I just picked mine up from the Music Go Round in Burnsville for 50 bones. I've been amp-less for a while, so I saw it online for cheap and went with it. I've been meaning to pick up a bass for a while too, so the amp could probably double for the bass as well? Thanks for your reply by the way.

I had mine back when Carvin actually had customer service. Tranny went out once(huge tranny, BTW and they used to advertise that it was sturdy enough for bass) and Carvin sent a replacement to my local repair shop, and paid the labor bill to the shop directly for the warranty work. Not a great sounding amp, but I did a ton of gigs with mine. Had a pretty decent 70s Brit-rock tone. And yeah, $50, why not! BTW, I've bought a few different things from the Maplewood (I think) MGR.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i've had this amp for over 15 years and love it. i put a red white and blues speaker in it several years ago. imho the sustain channel is completely useless. i just use the clean channel on it. it takes pedals really well and gets loud. i put a 12ax7 in the one preamp tube slot which i think is the phase inverter. it supposedly has a solid state preamp. i bought new IC's for it a number of years ago. these things go for 100-200 bucks now and i would totally grab one for that price.

• Members
i've had this amp for over 15 years and love it. i put a red white and blues speaker in it several years ago. imho the sustain channel is completely useless. i just use the clean channel on it. it takes pedals really well and gets loud. i put a 12ax7 in the one preamp tube slot which i think is the phase inverter. it supposedly has a solid state preamp. i bought new IC's for it a number of years ago. these things go for 100-200 bucks now and i would totally grab one for that price.

I don't think they ever made a 50 watt version. It is a SS preamp section. The 12at7 is the phase inverter tube. I'd sell mine CHEAP! But it is a rat.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

I need some help with a 1980 Carvin vtr2800 1- 12 50 watt combo. It had some resistors changed ,one taped inside the chassis and some 6v6's installed. I resistor not in the tube bias circuit but off the first 14 pin IC ,pin 10. the guy I bought in from didn't seam to know much about anything just told me the amp sounds distorted. I put the resistors back the way they should have been originally and installed two good el34's now the amp has no power light and hums loudly. the 100watt version seam to differ from mine in the solid state section and i don't know where to get a light up power switch for these. Any help would be greatly apriciated . i can take pictures and help you with yours of course.

Archived