Peavey classic 30 vs Crate palomino V32

strings4v

• Members

Ok... I've come a long way and I am getting closer and closer to that "answer" for my very first all tube amp love.gif

from my last thread 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Andy Timmons and Guthrie govan. Amp doesn't have to suit for mid scooped metal. A good amount of low end with thick overdrive (I play instrumental genre a lot) will be a keeper. 

As far as the conditions go, 

0. BANG FOR THE BUCK (OBVI)

1. decent clean (please just be better than marshall VS 102R that I own right now...)

2, take pedals good (i am a pedal freak) -> FX loop is a must

3. at least 2 ch with a footswitch / sperated EQ would be nice but .... i can compromise on that 

4. If reverb sounds good, that gets a point

5. great overdrive w/ reasonable length of sustain 

6. additional tremolo or things like that would be a plus but not a necessity.

7. 12 INCH SPEAKER

8. emulated output would be good and some power break feature like turning it into lower wattage (not a must though)

9. would like to have a presence knob on EQ but my eq pedal can do the job so preferable but not a must

10. please consider a resale price... in case I happen to go out and buy Mesa Lonstar of something when i get to be able to afford those. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ultimate competition turns out to be Peavey Classic 30 vs Crate Palomino V32.

Both amp look nice and definitely bang for the bucks. 

Now questions 

1. I'm not a big "brand name follower" but i was just curious. I know peavey clsc30 is made in US. How about the palomino? Because where it's made in might determine the quality consistency among the products. 

2. Peavey clsc 30 weights about 17kg (sorry I don't use pound!) which isn't a really bad b*itch compared to VS102R (23kg). How heavy will Crate palomino be? 

3. Ok people say this and that is class A amp and class AB amp and all that. What differences do they make? Are class A amps just too loud to be played in a bedroom? (yes i do some small gigs but admit it when i say where we play the most is in your bedroom.... :p

4. Is there any amp that i am missing out instead of those two considering my playing style? 

5. Are both amp able to plug extension cabs if necessary? 

These are all I can think of on top of my head. 

I always thank all of you who answer my threads on the forum! 

I never get this much helps on websites of my country

• Members

The Crate is under rated imo. The brand name associated with their SS amps doesn't help.

Classic 30 is another workhorse amp. It does not take dist or comp pedals well imo. basic effects like mods, and delay it will do fine.

Don't worry about the "class" or power amp classification. Class A is more for cleaner sounds anyway. AB is common for most amps.

Both amps overdrives are based on SS hybrid designs. To some its ice picky.

For resale, Classic 30 will win out. imo

• Members

At some point you'll just have to DO IT! It's all part of playing. It's like food....you can't totally rely on someone else's opinion....you HAVE to try it to see if you will like it. Almost everyone goes through at least several amps to find the one they like...sometimes dozens.

I'd say the Classic 30 is probably your best bet. Just search around for the best deal you can get. The used market can move around a little, but if you buy smart the chances of losing any great amount of money on resale would be slim.

What country are you from?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

HKSblade2 wrote:

The Crate is under rated imo. The brand name associated with their SS amps doesn't help.

Classic 30 is another workhorse amp. It does not take dist or comp pedals well imo. basic effects like mods, and delay it will do fine.

Don't worry about the "class" or power amp classification. Class A is more for cleaner sounds anyway. AB is common for most amps.

Both amps overdrives are based on SS hybrid designs. To some its ice picky.

For resale, Classic 30 will win out. imo

Not sure I understand the hybrid statement....can yuo explain? I can't find anyhting on the Crate... 

• Members

I've owned both. The Crate wins every category with the exception of the ones that are a draw, like neither has tremolo, etc.. Resale value is about the same. As a matter of fact, used Palominos often sell for more than used C30s.

The C30 is just ok. The Palomino is incredible. Throw some JJ tubes in it, maybe replace the speaker with a Swamp Thang and you end up with an amp that easily sounds as good as boutique amps costing more than 5 times as much.

• Members

Really leaning towards the Crate. Seen a couple of good deals on GC and whatnot. around 300 bucks. not so bad. One qualm is that i can't play through it before i buy. Local music stores rarely carry this amp even the GC and Sam Ash in Indy. Wish i could get an HD quality video sample....

• 1 month later...

Archived