PRS Custom 50 vs. Mesa Express 5:50+ combo

Kevin813

• Members

akapuli wrote:

Never tried the PRS, but the Express is a solid choice in both clean and dirty sounds.

For me the crunch option on the 1st channel sounds very much like the optimal Dumble-like tone chased by the 'other' forum.

I had the 5:50 and if yuo play blues or classic rock you might be okay with the gain channel but I hated it. Also, the clean channel is very nice but noisey which bugged the crap out of me. Seriously, it;s a clean channel...why is there noise???

from the Boogie board:

I talked to Mesa tech support today. This issue has nothing to do with the tubes. Apparently, some hiss on the clean channel is inherent to the design of the amp. I'm used to maxing out the master with master vol. amps in order to get max clean headroom, but no so on this amp. Like the last responder said, it's best not to crank up the master. I found that if I keep it at 12 o'clock max and keep gain around 10 or 11 o'clock, I can get a good compromise of volume, clean headroom, and minimal hiss. I also like the contour (on clean), but keep it under 11 o'clock. The hiss is still there, and it's more than on my other amps (mostly Fenders), but I can deal with it now. I only really notice it when I'm not playing, and doubt it will be an issue when playing live. I do like the tone of the amp.

Archived