JCM 800 2205

thom

• Members

What's the consensus on the JMC800 series these days? I used to have a 2204 almost ten years ago, and had a 25/50 for a short while too, which is somewhat in the same league I guess.

I may be able to buy a 2205, which I know is generally regarded as a lesser version of the single channel 800's. But although I know for a fact I won't love the cleans, and won't need/use em a lot, I still kinda like the idea of having a clean channel at my disposal. I'm sure I'll manage to make good use of it with a dirt pedal or boost in front. The 2203/2204 may be more popular, but the dual channel version is used by a ton of great players with a great tone, so I'm sorta thinking the supposedly *slightly* inferior tone is worth having a switchable channel. 

Couple questions though: 

What would you guys consider a fair price for one these days? And with the "buyer's market" and all, where do you think they will go in the future, price whise? It seems like there might be a couple goodbrand new marshall amps these days that do a similar thing, if not better, and with more features and ins/outs and what not...Which makes me think they've gone out of fashion since the whole revival/myth/hype of the early 00's. Right?

Does the 800 series still make any sense, particularly the 2205, dispite it's flaws? Or have they become redundant, what with the vintage moderns and DSL reissues and whatever else I'm forgetting...?

I'd rather go with something that's more vintage/saggy/thick voiced, but unfortunatelly something like a used 1987x would cost me about $200 more, and the 2205 I found is alread at least $100 over what I wanted to spend:s 

• Members

Srry, also:

In b4 blackstar:)

I was far from blown away from the blackstars I heard so far. Not bad at all for the money, but they had nothing on my old Marshalls. Jet City: Hard to come by in Europe, especially used. 

• Members

I had a 2205 years ago. I also had a Peavey XXX at the same time. I need an FX loop and I like the flexibility of 2 channel amps. The clean channel was OK, not great for pristine cleans. Some like it set up as a slightly dirty clean which it does. It took pedals well. I think I paid around $850. At the time I was playing some pretty fast & tight metal. With a boost, it kept up to my XXX and band mates 5150. Obviously it was not as mean or had the thick low end of the 6L6 120 watt Peaveys. I ended up selling it because they are worth a good chunk of cash. They seem to sell around $1000.

Later on I bought a DSL, might have been the 50 watt. I think the DSL has far more tones in there but it did not work as a channel switcher. I could never get the 2 channels to work at one time. I'd set it up as a single channel amp. The green channel is awesome. You can set it up for great cleans or chunky rhythms. I think crunch mode is pretty close to a 2203  The red channel is a lot like a 5150, I A/B'ed them. Its pretty loose and fuzzy though. Lead 2 is useless. More recently I tried a newer DSL and it sounded much better to me.

I traded the DSL for a TSL60. I hated everything about it. Marshall took everything good on the DSL, threw it out and kept the worst tones. Parallel loop that wont go 100% wet, no green channel crunch. Just crystal clear cleans and mushy leads.

If you are on a budget, the DSL is hard to beat.

• Members

How much power do you need?

A 5 watt Marshall might be all you need.

The SL5 is supposedly very AFD like. I don't know, I don't like Slash. I like the amp though, better than most Marshalls.

There's also a DSL15, which somehow costs less than the SL5. I have never been wild about the DSL series dating back to the 1990s. I've never played the DSL15 though.

• Members

Haven't tried any jcm 2000 long enough to tell, but the DLS50 I heard in action sounded more than decent to me, and though I'm aware I should take online user reviews with a grain of salt, very few people seem to dissagree that for the money it's an okay amp with at least one or two genuine Marshall tones on board.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a dls50 for less than the 2205 I was offered, so I guess that's what I should look for and try out.

5watt won't cut it I'm afraid. A cranked dsl15 with a closed back 4x12 cab might do the trick, but I kinda hoped on also having a little clean(ish) headroom to use with my fuzz pedals. I might still keep my eyes open for those low wattage marshalls though, cuz I also happen to be looking for a practice/home amp as well...

• Members

VagueSubscription wrote:

How much power do you need?

A 5 watt Marshall might be all you need.

The SL5 is supposedly very AFD like. I don't know, I don't like Slash. I like the amp though, better than most Marshalls.

There's also a DSL15, which somehow costs less than the SL5. I have never been wild about the DSL series dating back to the 1990s. I've never played the DSL15 though.

The nwer DSL's have been redesigned on the power supply and there are no over heating issues like there was with the old 401's etc.

Archived