Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

Well since there are many of these out there for amps I don't own I thought I would start one. I included both amps since they are fairly similar. As you all know I am a XXX man and have learned a few tricks on this board on how to turn my amp from good to a fire breathing monster. Here is a list of what I have learned, used and like.

1. el34e34l's in the XXX are WAY better than the 6l6gc's
2. these amps seem to love JJ preamp and power amp tubes.
3. a 12at7 in the PI slot seems to warm the amp up and open up the sound a bit.
4. The stock tubes suck no matter how you slice it (at least if they are still using the sovteks)
5. a good eq in the loop is a good thing.
6. a good noise gate in front of the amp cures the feedback issue.
7. a XXX and a Gflex cab are a very happy couple.
8. the dampening switch does make a huge difference in tone.
9. the controls are active so start at noon and tweak from there, also because they are active be patient because it takes a while to find the sweet spots.
10. Peavey's rule, who knew smile.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Sordid1
Well since there are many of these out there for amps I don't own I thought I would start one. I included both amps since they are fairly similar. As you all know I am a XXX man and have learned a few tricks on this board on how to turn my amp from good to a fire breathing monster. Here is a list of what I have learned, used and like.

1. el34e34l's in the XXX are WAY better than the 6l6gc's
2. these amps seem to love JJ preamp and power amp tubes.
3. a 12at7 in the PI slot seems to warm the amp up and open up the sound a bit.
4. The stock tubes suck no matter how you slice it (at least if they are still using the sovteks)
5. a good eq in the loop is a good thing.
6. a good noise gate in front of the amp cures the feedback issue.
7. a XXX and a Gflex cab are a very happy couple.
8. the dampening switch does make a huge difference in tone.
9. the controls are active so start at noon and tweak from there, also because they are active be patient because it takes a while to find the sweet spots.
10. Peavey's rule, who knew smile.gif
Agreed! All of it! They are using JJ 6l6's now stock instead of sovteks. Mine didn't sound bad with the JJ 6L6's but the EL34's are definately better. I need to try the 12at7 in the PI! I have an ECC83S in there right now but I'm always looking to possibly improve. I just got an ISP Decimator and put it in front biggrin.gif KICKS ASS!!! Next will be the MXR M108 in the loop and some kind of mulit-effects.

• Members

*holds up hand* Present!

What do I win for the door prize??? biggrin.gif

Doh, sorry don't have much to add here other than what you have said guys...

Wait a minute, yes I do! biggrin.gif

Other than I am kinda partial to 6L6's, I like bass too much, (that is until I pop some KT66's or 6CA7's in dat bitch! biggrin.gif ) what can I say... Above all, get the damned screen resistors upgraded to 5 watt, 1K ohm resistors if you EVEN think about putting JJ E34L's in it, just to be safe.(or anything near those kinds of plate voltages, I worry that KT66's and 6CA7's may be the same way but I am not certain, I'll get back to ya)

You can tell if it's a older version by the type of Peavey logo on the front... If it's block (newer logo) logo, it's a 1st year run production amp, screen resistors are 5 watt, 100 ohm resistors. Older lighting bolt logo, 2nd year run production amp and on,(newer Triple XXX's) screen resistors have probably upgraded to 5 watt, 700 ohm resistors. Above all, DO NOT assume anything, make sure the screen resistors have been upgraded or were updated at the factory, if you plan on using anything beyond standard EL-34's or 6L6's. Have the amp inspected by a certified tech to know for sure if you are uncertain.

Here's the preamp tube configuration affecting each channel, from left to right, facing the back of the amp:

V1 - clean channel
V2 - clean, crunch and ultra channels
V3 - crunch and ultra channels
V4 - phase inverter (power amp driver, tube closest to the power tubes)

IMHO, the greatest gripe with this amp on it's distortion channels of it having too much gain is greatly solved by substituting a 12DW7(ECC832 for you Europeans) in V2 to drop it's gain. The 12DW7 is a hybrid type tube that is half a 12AX7 and a 12AU7 that will help lower the gain on the distortion so you get more "mileage" out of the gain knob and coax low gain sounds much easier.

Oh yea, if are going to pursue a cosmetic mod for the Triple XXX, keep an eye out for items under Peavey amps in the Musical Instruments section on Ebay for Triple XXX faceplate replacements, I see them on there from time to time. It's where I got mine and IMHO it's a nice change of pace from the ole trucker chicks. smile.gif See below for my mod I did!

blackfacedtriplexxx0kp.jpg

Oh well, that's all I can think of for now that hasn't already been said, I think. Enjoy!

cool.gif

• Members

I agree with everything you guys said except that the 12AT7 in the PI did nothing for my tone, but I'm gonna try it again.

A JJ12DW7 did wonders for reducing the gain and making the amp much clearer with more range on the gain knob.

My Ruby EL34BSTR's smoke in this amp.

Crank the master and adjust the channel volumes to taste.

This amp is alot better than people give it credit for you just need to learn how to use it.

Even with the master on 7 and the channel volume at 5 on the crunch channel with the gain on 7 I have ZERO feedback, even standing 2 feet away from the amp.

• Members
Originally posted by Viesczy
Okay, I'll be a black sheep of the XXX family, but I like the 6L6 more than the EL34 in the XXX. There's less 'honk' and more 'omph' with 6L6 tubes. YMMV

Beyond that, the XXX is a GREAT amp!

Derek
Mine is still stock as well and sounds great. I will try the EL34's though when it's time for tube replacement cool.gif

• Members
Originally posted by Crusher

Mine is still stock as well and sounds great. I will try the EL34's though when it's time for tube replacement cool.gif
don't get me wrong guys I really like the amp with 6l6gc's as well especially the JJ 6l6gc's. I just really think this amp comes alive with the el34's in there. I was never traditionally an el34 fan so I was shocked as hell that I like them. I had worried about losing low end but really it's not a huge difference, I didn't have my lowend up too high in the first place.

• Members

Hey cool a thread I can play in!

Agreed that the stock tubes were sub par. I changed mine out with Groove tubes. 4-6l6s and 4-12ax7s

Im very happy with the tone. The clean still needs some work though.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveP
Hey cool a thread I can play in!

Agreed that the stock tubes were sub par. I changed mine out with Groove tubes. 4-6l6s and 4-12ax7s

Im very happy with the tone. The clean still needs some work though.
the clean was what really surprised me when I switched to the e34l's. It really warmed it up and gave it a sparkle that is lacking with the 6l6gc's. That is the biggest reason why people rave about the JSX clean so much, I think the JSX clean is still a little better but with the el34's in the XXX it's damn close.

• Members

Believe it or not I'm running the bass LOWER with EL34's then with the stock 6L6's. Before I had it around 6.5-7 now its just past 5.

I was getting tired of my amp about 3 weeks ago cause I hadn't jammed with my drummer, he came over and I was playing a riff for him and he's like, "dude, why do you have it so low? Crank that {censored}!" Jesus, I cranked it up and I remembered why I love this thing so much. I had the master on 8 and the channel on 5 on the crunch channel and I just about knocked myself over!

• Members
Originally posted by killswitch_19
Sordid,

One thing I will say about the 12DW7 in V2 is that the harmonics that jump of the fretboard don't come off quite as easy. Now they are still easier then hell but with a stock ECC83s in there was no effort needed.
I was kind of expecting that actually. I use 12-56 strings in the first place to doing squeals isn't on the top of my list.

• Members
Believe it or not I'm running the bass LOWER with EL34's then with the stock 6L6's. Before I had it around 6.5-7 now its just past 5.

I was getting tired of my amp about 3 weeks ago cause I hadn't jammed with my drummer, he came over and I was playing a riff for him and he's like, "dude, why do you have it so low? Crank that shit!" Jesus, I cranked it up and I remembered why I love this thing so much. I had the master on 8 and the channel on 5 on the crunch channel and I just about knocked myself over!
I myself haven't had a chance to really open mine up either lately since we have had to rehearse at the singers house for the last month and I can't bring my amp back and forth. This thing really does sing when you get it cranking and I miss that. We do have a show Saturday night so my XXX will be in all it's glory then, i'm pretty excited. We also will be moving back to my house for rehersal within the next month (sooner if we can find a replacement singer) and then I will be complete again smile.gif

• Members
Originally posted by JimAnsell
if anyone needs a footswitch for one of these, i have one for sale for $30.
If I understood schematics enough to rewire it for my Ultra Plus amp, I'd go for it due to it having a little better spacing between buttons and a more sturdy casing~!

Sorry for a slight OT hijack, but...

I saw the X100B in your sig, and it really makes me sad to think I lost my last one for about $125 at a pawn last year when I really needed money bad for my wedding, and the thing was gone within one week of the end date to get it back out~! mad.giffrown.gif

I've had 3 6L6 versions, and all sounded great with a tubescreamer boost, i.e. getting about perfect Slayer tone. Is your's the 6L6 or the EL34 version? Wish I still had one and would like to check out an EL34 version~! smile.gif

• Members

I guess I can join the club now, I just got one two weeks ago - I love this amp. I am selling my JSX to a friend. I had originally wanted the XXX and am glad I finally got one. I've used it for two rehearsals now and it smokes - this is what I think I should have gotten in the first place.

I've been running the Master volume high with the channel volumes lower. I put a DD-3 in the loop. For leads I use the ultra channel. Which channel do you guys normally use for leads?

• Members

bump for blues woman's question ^

I also have a question; anyone familiar with the similarities/differences of the Ultra Plus and the XXX? Is the Triple XXX's clean channel any better as far as volume goes? The Ultra's clean channel volume is definitely quite lower than the gain channel volumes, though I can get them matched okay.

Thanks for any help or suggestions for the post above mine and/or my post~!

• Members
Sordid,

One thing I will say about the 12DW7 in V2 is that the harmonics that jump of the fretboard don't come off quite as easy. Now they are still easier then hell but with a stock ECC83s in there was no effort needed.

I put mine in V3.

• Members
Originally posted by M-III
[bblackfacedtriplexxx0kp.jpg

I was never a treadplate kind of guy but I really like the way that looks....it just looks badass IMO.

Not much else to say here that hasn't been said I guess.

I think the stock power tubes are crap. I went with JJE34Ls in mine(I know I know) and they sounded MUCH better to me however I'm yearning to try a quality set of 6L6s in there to see if I'd change my mind back to the dark sidesmile.gif

I think to smooth things out and get rid of some of the upper end buzz the JJECC83S tubes work really well....I have the older ones not the high gain ones. They made the amp a bit darker but they also gave it more punch and balls IMO at higher volumes.

For lower volume playing in like a bedroom or an apartment I actually kind of prefer a mixture of the stock preamp tubes and JJs....at low volume I think the extra pre-amp buzz/gain is a necessity kind of.

And I have an ECC832 in V2 to tame the gain...which it did very well...made the amp much more versatile.

It's a workhorse amp for sure and even there are many people that don't like it(I think they can't get past the active EQ personally) it suits me fine and it cuts well through any mix....just crank those mids.

• Members

So I've decided to keep the Triple XXX instead of getting a JSX. I figure that my playing is not ready for a supposedly more articulate amp, not to mention that I don't want to give up ANY meaness in my sound. I am going ahead with the screen resistor upgrade and I'm placing an order for a butt-load of JJ pre's and JJ 6L6gc's and E34Ls. Thanks for helping me make up my mind with all of your Triple XXX posts, guys!

As far as a faceplate mod, I ordered a back screen panel from Peavey and was going to put it on the front along with the Triple XXX logo tin-snipped off of the original faceplate. I was going to do that, until.....I called Peavey parts to find out how much a Triple XXX faceplate costs so I could buy one to restore the looks to original if I wanted to sell down the line. The faceplate cost over $200!!! Holy crap!!! So now I'm thinking about just using a Peavey badge on the front of the grill instead.

• Members

Hey everyone, I never post here, but this thread just rocks! I just got my Triple XXX as a replacement for my (gasp) blue voodoo, and i'll never go back. This thing is so f'ing heavy sounding, even with the crunch gain on half. I've only got it to jamming level a couple of times, and it's one of the loudest mofo's i've heard/played on. I need to get back in a band now! Peace and sorry for the long post.

edit: Just out of curiosity, what kind of guitars and cabs are you all running these with? I'm using a schecter C-1 with a Duncan Distortion/59 combo and a Marshall 1960B.

Archived