Johnson Millennium

MilleniumMan

• Members

I have a Johnson Millennium JM150 with the J-12 foot controller. Was considering whether to keep or sell it. They are going for surprising amounts on Ebay a lot of people really want them badly and they are rare. But then I think if they are that awesome and rare why would I sell it? I don't live near a major music store so I can't go try out other amps to know how the JM150 sound(which is incredible) sounds compared to the other amps around. Any ideas on this?

• Members

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it meets your volume and tone specifications then your all good.

I'd sell it. johnson is out o business and can be a problem to fix it if it breaks

Both valid points. However as to the tone specs, my question is has anyone have any experience with the JM-150. It meets my tone requirements as far as I know, but I haven't checked out other good amps. It may be that I can sell it and get enough to buy another better sounding amp which is newer. The Johnsons with the foot pedal are selling for around 800 bucks on Ebay. Not a lot of money but I have no idea what sort of amp $800 can buy now days.

As to repairs it is mostly digital, does have tubes, but Harmond Music Group owns it and still supports it. I called them before I got it and they have a lot of spare parts and told me that more than likely anything that gets fubared can be replaced but of course there is no way to be sure.

• Members

Both valid points. However as to the tone specs, my question is has anyone have any experience with the JM-150. It meets my tone requirements as far as I know, but I haven't checked out other good amps. It may be that I can sell it and get enough to buy another better sounding amp which is newer.

As to repairs it is mostly digital, does have tubes, but Harmond Music Group owns it and still supports it. I called them before I got it and they have a lot of spare parts and told me that more than likely anything that gets fubared can be replaced but of course there is no way to be sure.

I would suggest telling us what you play and what some of the artists tones you enjoy and we can help from there. Also what are some of the models you use the most?

• Members

I mostly play rock/metal. I like all the tones in their place of course but my favorites are

"Rectifier Stack" Probably my default for most playing. I did tweak it a lot tho the factory presets arent that great. Levels need adjustment.

"Custom Marshall" My favorite of the Marshall tones.

"Too Heavy"(not sure what amp its modelling). This is what I use if I am playing low power-chords. Nothing like it for that.

For a more noisy tone i like "Industrialzed" and "Brown Sound" maybe "Post-Seattle Grind"

For music I generally play like Megadeth Metallica Pantera stuff I grew up on. But I also like to mess around with AV7X, BFMV or Coheed and Cambria.

• Members

I mostly play rock/metal. I like all the tones in their place of course but my favorites are

"Rectifier Stack" Probably my default for most playing. I did tweak it a lot tho the factory presets arent that great. Levels need adjustment.

"Custom Marshall" My favorite of the Marshall tones.

"Too Heavy"(not sure what amp its modelling). This is what I use if I am playing low power-chords. Nothing like it for that.

For a more noisy tone i like "Industrialzed" and "Brown Sound" maybe "Post-Seattle Grind"

For music I generally play like Megadeth Metallica Pantera stuff I grew up on. But I also like to mess around with AV7X, BFMV or Coheed and Cambria.

Rectifier stack is most likely a single or dual mesa boogie rectifier

Custom marshall can be pretty much anything really. Look at the marshall dsl line.

No idea what too heavy is but it makes me think of a peavey 5150. Its got more gain than death metal bands need at 60%.

Almost all of those bands used the recto, dsl or 5150 at some point except pantera who used a randall rg100. You can go to youtube and find a bunch of examples of people playing them to get a good idea.

• Members

seriously?

still have it, still love it.

What up bro?

If you decide to sell, I might know someone interested.

Leaning towards keeping it, but I have not seen or heard another amp in a while living where I do so I was wondering about the tones on them. However from what I'm reading here and my own research I am thinking that the JM-150 is still the effing bomb and maybe thats why everyone wants one so I may just hold onto it. Also even if it dies apparently the J-12 controller is itself highly prized as a midi controller and can net $200 easy after the amp dies. But have not made up my mind you have my word I'll give you first dibs if I do sell it. I also have to get a new guitar the one I have currently sucks. Well I mean it OWNS for the price it is, but it's still a cheapo guitar with poor pickups. Saving to get a Schecter next.

• Members

Leaning towards keeping it, but I have not seen or heard another amp in a while living where I do so I was wondering about the tones on them. However from what I'm reading here and my own research I am thinking that the JM-150 is still the effing bomb and maybe thats why everyone wants one so I may just hold onto it. Also even if it dies apparently the J-12 controller is itself highly prized as a midi controller and can net $200 easy after the amp dies. But have not made up my mind you have my word I'll give you first dibs if I do sell it. I also have to get a new guitar the one I have currently sucks. Well I mean it OWNS for the price it is, but it's still a cheapo guitar with poor pickups. Saving to get a Schecter next.

yup. I wouldn't say much more than this...:thu:

I been through this mental battle with myself a number of times to replace or not to replace...hasn't been worth it yet.

I'm glad to hear Harman is supporting with parts at least still...I had no idea...I thought I had a dinosaur that when it was all over, I should insure for 3 to 5 grand replacement value :o I mean seriously when you add tonez+effects+flexibility

There were and maybe are still are, well known amp guys that mod these...so service has never been a concern for me either way.

• Members

yup. I wouldn't say much more than this...
:thu:

I been through this mental battle with myself a number of times to replace or not to replace...hasn't been worth it yet.

I'm glad to hear Harman is supporting with parts at least still...I had no idea...I thought I had a dinosaur that when it was all over, I should insure for 3 to 5 grand replacement value
:o

There were and maybe are still are, well known amp guys that mod these....

If you go to Johnsons old website, and call the support number there, it will connect you to the right place. I had to get a replacement part and they had 736 of them in store! lol

• Members

If you go to Johnsons old website, and call the support number there, it will connect you to the right place. I had to get a replacement part and they had 736 of them in store! lol

nice. I thought that site was dead, I mean COMPLETELY.....:D

What version is your amp and have you fooled with RPEdit?

and lol at *too heavy*...that is the brootz and I used it only once, on a Pink Floyd cover...lemme see if I can uploads...:D

• Members

nice. I thought that site was dead, I mean COMPLETELY.....
:D

What version is your amp and have you fooled with RPEdit?

and lol at *too heavy*...that is the brootz and I used it only once, on a Pink Floyd cover...lemme see if I can uploads...
:D

Not sure how to tell the version honestly, its a JM-150 thats all I know. It has dual 12 inch Celestions and the J-12 controller. I dunno what RPEdit is so I guess I haven't fooled with it :p I know you can patch it but my cable requires a serial port on the PC and I don't have a time machine QQ.

• Members

Not sure how to tell the version honestly, its a JM-150 thats all I know. It has dual 12 inch Celestions and the J-12 controller. I dunno what RPEdit is so I guess I haven't fooled with it
:p
I know you can patch it but my cable requires a serial port on the PC and I don't have a time machine QQ.

cool dude.

the version shows up right when you boot it...something like 1.05...I can't remeber which is the last...1.06 maybe...:idk:

yes, in the old days you needed a serial, but I think now you can do it all from USB (to Midi) cable....that's the part I was talking I haven't fooled with...

RPEdit allows you to edit/manipulate your patches right on the PC, then download to the amp. The "uploader" allows you to upload the latest firmware, and/or save (and re-upload) your OS and/or patches individually...

Anyway, I have them all on my desktop, just haven't bought the cable (USB to Midi) to fool with them...talked to a guy on CL that said it was all doable though. :thu:

• Members

cool dude.

the version shows up right when you boot it...something like 1.05...I can't remeber which is the last...1.06 maybe...
:idk:

yes, in the old days you needed a serial, but I think now you can do it all from USB (to Midi) cable....that's the part I was talking I haven't fooled with...

RPEdit allows you to edit/manipulate your patches right on the PC, then download to the amp. The "uploader" allows you to upload the latest firmware, and/or save (and re-upload) your OS and/or patches individually...

Anyway, I have them all on my desktop, just haven't bought the cable (USB to Midi) to fool with them...talked to a guy on CL that said it was all doable though.
:thu:

Ah, thats cool. Anyway I have 1.05

• Members

OK, I'll bite....

I have one (actually two - I also have the 250 head), and I think it's a great practice amp for home use. Personally, I think the Johnson stuff was (and still is) superior to any other modeling gear out there. As you already know, it is still supported by DigiTech, so repairs really aren't an issue if that's a concern.

That said, I can't recommend it for playing in band situations - it doesn't sit well in the mix. In my experience, the JM150, like every other modeler I've worked with just doesn't cut very well. Also, the response is simply not the same as working with a nicely dialed-in tube amp.

If you're going to use the Johnson as a "bedroom" amp or a tool for recording rough demos, then enjoy! But if you plan to use it as your main gigging amp, you'll probably want to look elsewhere (i.e. tube amp)....

• Members

OK, I'll bite....

I have one (actually two - I also have the 250 head), and I think it's a great practice amp for home use. Personally, I think the Johnson stuff was (and still is) superior to any other modeling gear out there. As you already know, it is still supported by DigiTech, so repairs really aren't an issue if that's a concern.

That said, I can't recommend it for playing in band situations - it doesn't sit well in the mix. In my experience, the JM150, like every other modeler I've worked with just doesn't cut very well. Also, the response is simply not the same as working with a nicely dialed-in tube amp.

If you're going to use the Johnson as a "bedroom" amp or a tool for recording rough demos, then enjoy! But if you plan to use it as your main gigging amp, you'll probably want to look elsewhere (i.e. tube amp)....

ok I'll bite too...as with many effects units, the factory presets are WAY too wet. Additionally WAY to much bass response programmed in. Additionally, from model-to-model settings and channel-to-channel as well, the volume may not be balanced at all. All these things are remedied by tweaking. Yes, out of the box it sounds great in the bedroom and lousy in a band, but there's nothing holding a person back from making it work live. I did it for years. It does take some time to get dialed in, but once you do it is fantastic tonez.

The biggest problems I had in a band setting were due to the directionality of the speakers, very directional. In a tight rehearsal room it can be difficult to get in the mix without making someone deaf. On stage, a tilt-back stand (amp), or side stage placement (stacked) is pretty much required, imo. :)

• Members

I picked one up a year or more ago for $300 on CL. That include a J12 foot controller, J212 ext cab w V30s in it..

Combo was dead and someone told him it would cost $800 to fix. I fixed it for 72 cents. It had two bad 2A pico fuses blown.

Its surprising these amps have made a come back in terms of value. Really they are a Digitech artist with cool tweaks and power amp.

Use an extension cab to get the best sound because the V30's don't like the mosfet power and the cab design of the combo attributes to the odd popping or thumping bass on some presets and louder volumes.

Looking at other forums many guys in studios have bought these. They like you can remove the power and run direct XLR's and still get natural amp feedback internally some how. I tried it and it works on mine too.

There are better speakers to use besides the V30s to help the ice picky treble. A lot of guys have went with Eminence Alpha 12 speakers. Little higher power rating (handles the mosfet power better), and a slightly lower treble (hf) response. Reasonably priced too.

Archived