New JJ tube - JJ EL844

peeehooo

• Members

I'm not sure if there is a topic about this already.

Anyway, JJ launched new output tubes called the EL844. As far as I know it's supposed to be a EL84 type only with lower output or something like that. Might be interesting :idea:

Anyone knows anything more about them?

Linky:

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p4601_NEW---JJ-EL844.html

It is priced quite above the ordinary EL84's though.

• Members

From EuroTubes:

We talked about several tubes that would be welcome additions and we have to tell you, JJ has been VERY busy! We are really happy with the way the EL844 has turned out! It's a wonderful sounding tube and will dissipate right at
9 watts rather than 12 watts
which will be a great option for players who want to get to the
sweet spot at a little lower volume.

The bolded part is why I don't buy from EuroTubes. :facepalm:

• Members

Nah, they are supposed to be like 12 as far as I've read online.

And the EL844 is supposed to be 9.

Not much of a difference if you ask me.

I'm more interested in sonic differences because there isn't a big selection of EL84 available. And I'm thinking about getting an EL84 based poweramp.

• Members

That's a 25% loss in power over a "standard" EL84! That's quite a drop in power. These will be great for "bedroom shredders" who want that great tube tone at lower volumes. They will also be great for those who simply do not need 50 or 100 watts blowing up their arse when they're on stage.

There will be other uses too. This will be just one more tool in the tone arsenal .

• Members

That's a 25% loss in power over a "standard" EL84! That's quite a drop in power. These will be great for "bedroom shredders" who want that great tube tone at lower volumes. They will also be great for those who simply do not need 50 or 100 watts blowing up their arse when they're on stage.

There will be other uses too. This will be just one more tool in the tone arsenal .

:facepalm:

• Members

Wow, :facepalm:, on so many levels...

• Members

I have JJ EL84's in my Peavey Classic 50. I've found them to be the most reliable EL84's I've found. At 12 watts per, I'm at 48 watts in my amp. I don't see going down to 36 watts being a significant difference. Hell, I've pulled 2 tubes out of my Classic and ran it at 24 watts, and there was no noticeable volume drop. Only a slight reduction of headroom on the clean channel and a loss of bottom end.

• Members

TAD EL84-STR

TAD says the following about their new EL84 power tube:

"The all new TAD EL84-STR tube combines the best of both worlds. We chose the thickest glass option and heaviest construction like the Russian EL84M tube and sonically most promising cathode and plate option to meet and exceed the tonal quality of the JJ/Tesla EL84 tube. Finally we added the gold grid wire to limit stray characteristics and to improve overall reliability. The result is the best EL84 tube currently produced. No compromise!"

Note: These tubes have a slightly larger diameter than other EL84 tubes so they can not be installed into some Marshall DSL201 or DSL401 amplifiers, some reissue Vox AC15 amps, and Bad Cat amps.

• Members

Bob?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi, everyone. I just loaded in some of the new JJ EL844s with the hope of lowering output and thereby being able to run the amp more near the middle or high range for volume (these new tubes are reported to reduce output about 25%). Unfortunately, the sound -- in my rig, at least -- is about the worst I've encountered from any of the many tubeds I've used in this amp. What I got was all punch in the midrange without a trace of shimmer or air or chime, and super-dull bass. Very unpleasant, and with no note definition -- like listening through earplugs. Super disappointing -- a total waste of $$, IMHO. The tube that work best for me remain the standard JJ EL84s and my top preference (surprisingly), thenew "reissue" (= fake) "Mullards." It's rare that I find a product to be a dead loss, but I'll tell you -- I freaking hated the EL 844s. Maybe if you have a really shrieky Tele or a shrill amp or effects chain, it might give you what you want, but I found the tubes to be incredibly distinct in tone -- and awful. Beware!

• 2 years later...

Archived